Mini split vs central

Its both the compressor and the fan.

1 Like

A few years ago just anyone could buy cylinders of R-410a on amazon for cheap. My HVAC tech friend said it was cheaper than his employer gets it for. I figured that wouldn’t last long because of the licensing requirements to buy the refrigerant so I snagged 4 cylinders to have around for hard times.

The minisplits generally come pre-charged with refrigerant but if you extend the line set you may need to add a few ounces, you have to calculate that.

Definitely do the nitrogen pressure test prior to pulling the vacuum on the line set because you don’t want to lose your precious refrigerant and flare fittings are known to leak if improperly installed (usually over torqueing the flares). Nylog and a torque wrench are advisable. I always cut off the factory flare on the copper line set and make my own so I know it’s perfect.

1 Like

And here i sit, central a/c and heat with a 5 ton (heatpack) unit, put in our 5000 square foot dump…$200 bucks total. Yep, I installed it, and pulled everything out of the dump to do it. My style may not be for everyone, but I am proof you can build a mansion from the trash for pennies.

1 Like

I am also hearing excellent things regarding Fujitsu mini split systems. 10 year warranty, overnight parts, 24/7 tech support for service technicians.

1 Like

Theres a bunch of mini splits on ebay.
I’ve never bought off of ebay but just thought I would mention it

1 Like

Yeah if you know how to braze thats the best route really.

1 Like

Yeah but many units integrate the valve that releases the units charge into the block with the flares on it. That makes it impossible to braze. One unit I ran had 4 zones and it had copper pigtails to the flares allowing me to cut the flares off and braze the lines et to the condenser, much better way to go for sure.

2 Likes