Mutant Madness?

Haha too funny. I should have said noobie breeder. For some odd reason we use guppy as a slang term for rookie around my parts.

Thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

They look like fern leaves! so cool, thanks for sharing! :v: :v:

Well, that makes sense. And come to think of it, I may have heard that term before…just didn’t click.

Yep they’re starting to really take off now. I should top them so they don’t keep growing straight up.

The cool thing to me is how quickly the landraces are growing compared to the mutants. My Lagkitan landrace seeds are easily a month younger than the Supafreaks… maybe more. In about 4-5 days the Lagkitan are going to be just as big as their mutant counterparts. Really hoping this rapid growth breeds into my mutants when I get there.

4 Likes

Here’s hoping, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

@crunkyeah man that is some crazy & wild looking stuff :face_with_monocle: as i was reading thru this thread i kept thinking to myself, the parents of your plants must of had a crazy sex party and invited some freaky ferns to the party.

1 Like

Love the colour coding on those pads look groovy

Update time. This is only a partial update as I ran into a snag. I ran out of my dirt mix. In case anyone is wondering I use Promix #4 mixed 50/50 with Very coarse grade Vermiculite. I still have about 1 cu ft of vermiculite but I need some more promix. I’ll go before work tomorrow.

First off, I’m crazy. When I saw that the Mars hydro FCE-4800 was completely adjustable and not bottlenecked I knew I had to double them up… There’s twice as many LEDs in the 4x4 now. When both lights are on 100% output it’s brighter than a summer day where we average 50 DLI during the summer months.

In this tent we have Imperium X, Blueberry Muffin, 4x Duckweb, 2x BerryFreak and Drunken Bastard #11 (hoping one of the Duckweb is male but I don’t think they are). I would be pleasantly surprised if I could get Duckweb male crosses on the mutants. Plus I actually want to do an Imperium X and Duckweb cross. Hoping to breed towards Imperium X smells and colors, with Duckweb leaves. Similar to how 7East worked on the Drunken Bastard line. These plants are going to get a week to get used to the new 3 gallon air pots (they were in 1 gal pots), then I’m going to cut the top 8" off and initiate flowering. I’ll likely also install a double layer screen system so they have support throughout flowering. The BerryFreak girls are going to need it. Their roots were absolutely insane. I have a feeling that my particular cut of BerryFreak would go to 7-9 ft outdoors. It just seems “bigger” than any other plant I’ve grown.

Next I’m going to go over the Lagkitan and give a few notes about them. Pics first! (2 BerryFreak clones pictured in .3 gal air pots)

These are absolutely hands down my favorite cannabis strain. The explosive growth, the smells, the vibrant green colors, the difference in phenotypes… I can’t get enough of these plants. I’m excited everytime I open my tent to look at them! Smells are spot on with TLT’s strain description so far. I have noticed 2 outliers. First off, is L8. I’m 90% certain it’s a male. In about half the age of the Double Jam it’s nearly as tall, and growing monumentally faster. I topped him hoping that he branches out a bit. Either way, I’m happy because it looks like a natural male compared to the others. The second outlier is L3 (which I have to note 3 is my lucky number and coincidentally I did not try to put this plant into L3 spot… it just happened that way…). This lady will not stand up straight. I’ve bent the main stem upright dozens of times but it still flops over and seems to want to grow horizontally. It’s also done this from the beginning of life so the lateral branching is really good. The leaves, internode distances, smells… basically everything else is similar to it’s siblings but she just wants to flop over. I’ve read that floppy stems can be a precursor to super resinous flowers so I’m excited. If this one turns out to be the purple scorpion pheno then I would be absolutely thrilled. Fingers crossed! Pics now:

Next we have the Drunken Bastards. With #11 out, I have 2 males and 8 females. I know that #1 and #2 are confirmed males. The clones of them (now rooted) have grown quite a bit of balls. I hope they go back into veg mode when I dirt them. I’ve never had a strain try to flower from taking a clone before so that’s kind of new and different. All of the female clones seem fine.

I will reserve the Quack Bastard/Invictus photos for tomorrow. I’m also going to move 9 Drunken Bastards up into 2 gal air pots and move them into the big tent for flowering. The new clones I would like to take root real well before I transfer them into the flower tent. I’m hoping to time it so that BerryFreak & Duckweb girls are throwing mad pistils while the Drunken Bastard male dumps his pollen on them. Since I’m not really going for bud the BerryFreak and Duckweb clones are probably going to stay in the .3 gal until the seeds are mature. Idk I’ll have to think about it a little more over the next week or so. I’m also highly tempted to just run the Lagkitan in there but I have to get rooted clones first so that’s a while out yet…

More to come tomorrow…

8 Likes

Well it’s update time…

As for the updates that didn’t come last time… let’s just say I’ve been dealing with some mental health issues and I needed to get some help. I was in the ER for about 2 days. My plants suffered a bit but now (a day later) they’re mostly recovered.

First off, the incredibly fast growing Lagkitan landrace. These are quickly becoming my favorite. Stem rubs on most of them smell like peaches. They’re slightly skunky and when I water them give off a wonderful floral vibe.

Next we have some clones. The normal canna plant is Blueberry Muffin, then there’s 2 BerryFreak, and then 2 of each Duckweb specimen. #3 appears to be male (not seeing any calyxes either)! Which means I will be able to do my seed runs exactly like I want. Pretty cool.

Here we have 13x Invictus from AFC seeds. I should transplant these but honestly I regret popping them. I should have sprouted a Jamaican strain but oh well… it’s not a bad thing because in the strain description they bred this strain to have high cannabinoids. I would love to find a really potent male in these, as well as a really minty female. Just above the Invictus are my 5 Quack Bastards. I believe this cultivar would be best outdoors. These things literally growing slower than any other plant I’ve grown. I feel like it’s a 6 month veg strain. Maybe I’m just not giving the right environment but idk… everything else is growing quickly…

Next we have my flowering tent. These plants suffered a lot while I was in the ER. They’re starting to come back.

Last but not least we have 2 each of the 11 Drunken Bastard clones, as well as the straggler Imperium X. I think the all the clones tried flowering, so they’re all a little messed up at the moment. I want to plant 12 of the clones in dirt and the other 11 I’m not sure what to do with.
I really only need 1 ‘parent’ plant.

I’m completely lost right now for what to do, in which order to get these plants going. I have hit the point where I started too many plants and now I have to figure this out. I should have like 200 sq ft for these plants but I only have like 30 lol. The Lagkitan are growing very aggressively. I will have to begin chopping on them and taking clones. The tough part is, I’m going to have to toss several batches of clones before I can take some for rooting. I may say fuck it for the mutant crosses and just run Lagkitan clones which can make seed with the mutants. Idk… I can’t decide what to do. I’m going to think on it for a couple of days. Another thing I need to consider is that all of the mutant clones will be perfectly growing together where these new Lagkitan clones are going to be much smaller. Maybe that will be a good thing though since they take so long to flower? I’m not sure.

I need to plant a bunch of the clones, and transplant the parent Drunken Bastards into bigger pots. The tough part is, with a transplant they’re definitely not going to fit back into the 4x2 without hacking on them quite a bit. So I almost need to transplant them and engage flowering so the clones are the right size once they are done. This could be beneficial because I won’t have to run all the DB females on the clone run… I could just run like 1 or 2 instead of 9. This will give me room for the Lagkitan clones too…

Ahh, decisions decisions…
What do you guys think?

7 Likes

Man this thread is epic. You remind me of myself in a lot of ways. If you can’t decide what to plant, just plant everything, then stress yourself out figuring what fits where. lol. Its classic :slight_smile:
If your just making seeds, you can root bind them a bit. Like instead of transplanting, giving weeks to fill the pot, then flipping(for large plants), you can flip in the little pot, wait until it starts to bud and set shape a little, then transplant and you wont have to water like crazy but you still get some of the effect of a smaller pot(smaller plant/less yield).
I also haven’t been cloning every plant I grow anymore while space is tight. Until I find a plant that refuses to reveg, I’m a revegger person. That made a huge difference for me.
It’ll seem less hectic once you know the sexes and get pollen, so its just the seeded females ur dealing with. I hope the grow didn’t stress you into the hospital. Its supposed to be fun. I remind myself that sometimes when I get stressing out over it. If it were me, I’d get flipping or culling some stuff and get back to a happy level. Are the clones the only holdup?

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your issues. I really hope you’re on the mend.

Your plants don’t look like they suffered much.

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me. You can always go back to the mutant crosses later, right?

Anyway, sorry I can’t contribute more, but I will be following and hoping you’re well.

1 Like

Thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it. For now, things I hope are on the mend.

I’ve never revegged a plant myself. I like the idea of having a clone mom, and flowering the clones.

I can say that my plants are one of the very few things that I get some contentment out of. They’re never a burden on me no matter how many I have. It’s stressful sometimes thinking about what I’m going to do but I learned in psych class we all need positive stressors. They kind of offset negative ones in a way because once a positive stress is resolved, our brain/body can repeat the process with a negative stress. That’s what I was told years ago and even if it isn’t true today, it is to me.

@middleman - Yeah they’re not doing too bad. It’s ok. Just knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my contributions, and want me to continue, is enough for me. Thank you.

Anyways…
Transplanting and planting are both complete.
Big tent:

I kept the two males in the small pot since roots aren’t super crazy. DJ got a bigger pot which is around 1 gal I believe. I may transplant it again once I see pistils but if it does turn out male I will cull it.

Random transplanting picture: (all of them were like this)

Looks to me like it’s a plant that wants to dig deep instead of staying on the surface? Not sure. Maybe the air pots will show more.

DJ all by itself:

The stems are fairly red. I’m interested to see what happens when it begins flowering. Smells like paradise. When I rub the stem and smell it, it reminds me of being on a beach, with seagulls and sunshine.

All the clones and 5x Quack Bastards and 13x Invictus:

9 Likes

Mini update… look at these weeds go (grow?)

Every day the new growth is insane! This is just 2 days since the last update…even in the photos you can see the new growth.

Anyways the real reason for my post is an update of my thought process on these beauties.
The 13x Invictus… I really wish I wouldn’t have started those. Even though I paid about $12/seed for them I really don’t want them anymore. The Quack Bastards, as cool as they are… are definitely not something I want in my garden. They don’t seem that different to me than my Drunken Bastards (as far as leaf shape and all that goes) except they’re easily growing TWICE AS SLOW. I see how fast the Lagkitan are growing and it’s mind boggling to me… then I look at these Quack Bastards… the ones that are just a few inches tall are about a MONTH old. The bigger ones are about 4-5" tall and they’re 10 weeks old already. Looking back at pictures I can see that the Drunken Bastards at least grow slightly slower than a normal canna plant.

Either way… the Lagkitan vigor bug caught me… caught me by surprise. The growth is so quick! The current plans are:

• F1 seed run with Duckweb father… females include Imperium X, Blueberry Muffin, BerryFreak, and Drunken Bastard… this should begin flowering in about a week. Exciting!
  • Drunken Bastard pheno hunt… just engaged flowering for those today. I’ve already selected the male in the cross… just looking for that purple sexy female… I have a couple of them I’m hoping on.
  • Lagkitan… I’ve decided in a couple of days I will chop the top half of the plant off every specimen, and turn them into clones. This should encourage good side branching of the parent plants. Once clones start rooting I will switch the light cycle to 11on/13off to see if I can separate any of the phenos while the parents are still getting bigger. I’m hoping by the time roots show up that the Drunken Bastards will be roughly halfway done with their flower cycle. The flowering clones will tell me which are male/female as well as which specimens will be purple. This should help me determine which moms will mate with which dads. I’m not entirely sure I want to make a huge variety of these seeds but I do want diversified F2s for sure.
  • Invictus and Quack Bastard - honestly I’m thinking about culling these. The Quack Bastards I may leave in a windowsill because of the stealth aspect to them.

So right now I have in veg:
19x Lagkitan
13x Invictus seedlings
5x Quack Bastard seedlings
2x BerryFreak clones (1 for keep, 1 for breeding)
4x Duckweb clones (for keepers)
4x Duckweb clones (for breeding)
11x Drunken Bastard clones (for keepers)
1x Blueberry Muffin
1x Imperium X

Flowering:
10x Drunken Bastards
1x Double Jam

With all of my recent mental health woes… I’ve decided to pump the brakes a little bit. Watering 50+ plants everyday is starting to drain on me a little bit, even if it is a labor of love. Of all the plants right now… when I’m done selecting I would like to have basically 2 of each strain… 1 female and 1 male… with the exceptions being BerryFreak, Imperium X, and Blueberry Muffin, since there’s no chance of a male now.

Simultaneous to this… I’m going to begin a new project. I’m going to make the ultimate 1 plant grow box. Everything is going to be as ideal as I can make it. The idea here is that I’m going to search 1 plant at a time for the elusive Jamaican Lambsbread. This grow box will be 12/12 from seed, with the sole purpose of finding that gem. I will germinate 1 plant and 1 plant only until I find it… if it takes me 20 yrs, half a year at a time… then so be it. I just can’t think of any other practical way to pheno hunt this line considering the space these plants take up, as well as the long flowering cycle. I want to set this up so that in the future I will be able to make changes as needed. Basically I want to make a grow container that I can use for the next 20 years without changing much.

I’ve thought about this quite a bit and I’m fairly sure this is the route I’m going to go. Of course everything is subject to change as life is never certain , but these are my plans for now.

11 Likes

Thanks for the show. Really fascinating.

1 Like

This is all really awesome! Great work. I’m super excited about the potential of these mutant varieties for opening the door to development of ornamental cannabis. Maybe someday soon they will be so commonplace that they’ll be featured at the big garden centers!

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words! I’m super excited about the potential of these varieties too!

However I don’t believe with the current state of the world that ornamental cannabis is going to be a thing. As far as I can see, big biz is trying to get into mmj. All big biz cares about is corporate profits so the only thing that’s going to be available is highly hybridized modern strains bred for more THC, higher yields, and shorter flowering times. I will love to be proved wrong when big biz gets into landrace sativas and mutant varieties but I don’t see that happening sadly…

As far as our lovely mutants go, I believe this is a labor of love. Mutants require care and planning when trying to get those expressions to show. You can’t just chuck pollen from 40 different plants and hope to get it to work… you have to do things selectively. Real breeding work. Due to this genetic ‘gift’ if you will… I believe that will discourage 90% of weed growers. This is what will separate the people who are truly dedicated vs those who just want the next best hype. Myself, I’m the dedicated type.

I’m going to work these mutants together selectively, and if I mess up somewhere along the line… I’m keeping all my foundational plants so that I can build with different pieces if I need to. I’m hopeful in the coming weeks I will be able to add a couple of new mutant strains to the mix. I’ve found a source on a variegated plant which is clone-only and supposed to be really good flower. I’ve never purchased a plant before though so I’m hesitant… not only that but I don’t have any room… but it’s so pretty! Ah well… food for thought.

6 Likes

The mutants are very cool. I was shocked today when I learned that the brassicas: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi are all cultivars of the same species. The range of expressions that are possible just blows my mind. I think cannabis has so much untapped potential as a landscape plant! Sure, it is a very useful plant for so many things! Cannabis is also a very beautiful plant, I definitely want to get more mutants and freaks going in my garden, whether they are good for medicine or not, and I think that if more were available in the market weed lovers and plant geeks alike would be all over it. Might be a huge opportunity for some enterprising folks. Anyway, super cool!

3 Likes

Wow! I did not know that about the brassicas. Plants are fascinating. I think the only way cannabis can be a landscape plant is if it’s primarily used for fiber, similar to hemp. I don’t see a world where there’s ‘landscape’ plants that produce THC. Would love to see it but I don’t… although I still think it’s funny you can grow Peruvian Torch cactii, Peyote, Poppies…and not even a glance but if you grow cannabis it’s a whole different thing.

:man_shrugging: the world we live in.

Thank you for the tidbit of info :slight_smile:

Edit* a few photos… just because

7 Likes

Update time.

Things are progressing nicely!
Lagkitan growing like weeds. Starting to really get addicted to seeing these grow everyday. I messaged TLT regarding these plants and they gave me a little information about the pheno I’m looking for… but honestly it doesn’t help much. As is, I need to take clones and flower them out to see what magic I have. It is nice to know though that the purpling this strain has to offer does not come from low temps or the change in plants at the very end of flowering. According to TLT, the purple colors show up in the first weeks of flowering. Can’t wait to see the pretty colors! :star_struck:

Then we have some mutant clones: (blueberry muffin hiding in the corner tho)

Was on the fence about getting rid of these (Invictus & Quack Bastard) but I can’t bring myself to do it. They all starting to look better as time goes on. I become more attached to them too :rofl:

Then we have flowering tent! We’re about 8 days in now and plants are noticing the light schedule change. It seems like it’s going to take the females a bit longer to get going. I assumed they were mature since they’ve been alive for 4 months now. Good news though! I couldn’t tell some of them for males during veg. I am seeing now that I have a couple more males than I initially thought I had. Fortunately, of the bunch my favorites were mostly female. I do like the tall guy in the corner though… glad to have him as a breeder. I’m going to pull the males out before they get a chance to pollinate the females. I’m sure the DJ will take a couple months before it even shows me what’s up. It’s looking lovely though. It seems to have different nutrient requirements than every other plant I’ve grown. Haven’t nailed it yet.

I will be cloning the Lagkitan in the next couple of days. I will likely wait until the next update before posting pictures of those as work is crazy hectic right now.

11 Likes

Went over to TLT and read the description for the Lagkitan. Sounds freaking amazing! Are you going to cross it to your mutant leaf types?