My 4x4 tent (multistrain quantum boards)

The life cycle consists of five stages: egg, larval, prepupal, pupal and adult. Female adult western flower thrips live up to 30 days and lay 2-10 eggs per day. At 20°C, development from egg to adult takes approximately 19 days. At 25°C, it takes 13 days. The eggs are inserted into soft plant tissues, including flowers, leaves, stems and fruit. In sweet pepper, egg hatch gives the leaves a speckled appearance, with the degree of speckling corresponding to the number of hatched eggs. The larval stage (see Figure 2) consists of 2 instars that feed and develop on the leaves, flowers and fruit. The prepupal and pupal stages often complete their development on the ground or growing medium, but pupation can also take place on the plant. The pupa (see Figure 3) is a non-feeding stage during which the wings and other adult structures form.

The adults are weak fliers, usually taking short flights from leaf to leaf or plant to plant. Nevertheless, they disperse rapidly throughout the greenhouse. Adult thrips can be transported on wind currents and will enter the greenhouse through vents and doorways. At all stages they may be dispersed on workers’ clothing and on infested plants, growing media or farm implements.

1 Like

Spinosad will take care of the thrips. Just dip them, no need to soil drench. It works when they eat the plant that has the bacteria on it. Make sure you spray in the dark, the bacteria are sensitive to the light. Two applications three days apart will take care of your problem. IME.

2 Likes

ok so how long does the bacteria live, i guess it’s not a contact killer like other things i’ve tried… oh and another question @ReikoX will this stuff stay good for a week once mixed or do i need to use it immediately?

P.S. i’ve also heard spinosad is very good against head lice, if anyone has children …

1 Like

Spinosad is also uses in flea and tick medications for pets.
I suggest mixing up fresh for each application. The bacteria will survive for three or four days, re-apply once after three days and you should be good to go. My plants didn’t seem to mind the spray at all.

2 Likes

i may just be crazy but i think that shit worked pretty fast… i dunked all the plants in spinosad and i swear an hour or 2 later i could see dead thrips on the leaves not moving anymore… or maybe it was pieces of coco that fell out while holding them upside down… idk but i’m optimistic… tent was cleaned out and transplanted 7 out of 10 females… ran out of coco so need to hit the hydro store tomorrow…

i ordered a fountain pump from ebay, 450 gallon per hour to replace my 188GPH one because it didn’t have enough pressure for the 360* sprinkler fitting in my cloner, this new one better work… i ordered it from china so i imagine by the time it arrives i’ll be ready to take some cuts of the bodhi tree. 21 site cloner and i have 10 females so i’ll be able to take 2 from each plant

3 Likes

Repeat again in 72 hours to get any freshly hatched thrip larva and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

yes i did an initial dunking and soil drench 3 days ago and again yesterday before transplanting so i’ll spray again in 3 and 6 days for total of 4 treatments 72 hours apart … hopefully will be sufficient !

2 Likes

How did you get your hands on that, if I may ask?
I couldn’t get anyone to ship me any.

my local hydro shop… i went in and asked what they had for thrips and they said “you need spinosad” lol i was like well yeah i know that but you can’t get it in canada! they had it in little bottles under the counter

12ml for $40, mix at 2ml per 5 gallons. it worked so well, never saw them again after the first dunk but still applied 2 or 3 more times afterwards. i sprayed method 1 pps every 2-3 days until the bottle was empty and it didn’t do shit.

would be more than happy to pick you up some if you want, not sure if freezing/thawing would be bad for it tho

1 Like

here’s how the tent looked earlier today… 10x bodhi tree by led seedz… was supposed to be out of town this week so was waiting til i returned to flip them but that didn’t work out so i’ll be flipping them tomorrow. shortest one is 18" and the tallest couple branches is 32"

7 Likes

this is a cinderella 99 x blueberry i made, both strains were from peakseeds BC. i only popped one seed to test germination and it had maybe 1/2 inch taproot after only 12 hours in the shotglass. hopefully it’s female :smiley:

this is the tent, tester run of 10x bodhi tree females from LED Seedz

9 Likes

Looking good L-C :+1:
Do you have those in bloom?

That homemade C99xBlueberry should be a fun one to grow out if it’s a female. Nice cross.

2 Likes

yes they are at day 7 of flower, and these two lil guys are on the same timer as the tent :joy: because it’s too cold in the rest of the basement. 1st pic is 3bears OG auto and 2nd pic is c99xbb. they’ve just been under a single screw in 11w LED bulb or something and they’ve outgrown it. i’ll prob transplant them and set up their own space with 24hr lighting this week, prob my 235w blurple.

7 Likes

i got a few things going on now, 4x4 tent is 14 days in to flower at this point - 10 bodhi tree females - and bud sites are starting to stack up nicely :smiley:

my home made c99 x BB is getting pretty big, needs to be transplanted out of its solo cup soon, my new LED boards should be here next week and i already got my driver and new 4x4 veg tent.

my 3 bears OG by mephisto is doing OK, it’s at 32 days but was stunted for the first 3 weeks due to cold temperatures on the floor of my tent

5 Likes

my LEDs arrived right at the end of the day! friday and monday are holidays then i’m going out of town for a week so i was worried i’d be waiting a while to get my new 4x4 tent set up! this weekend i’ll set it all up and transplant the 2 plants in to 3 gallon fabric pots :smiley: i’m excited to have 2 tents now!! perpetual here we come!! :thumbsup:

8 Likes

i’m not sure if i’ll be able to set up my second tent before i move (hopefully may 1st but prob june 1st) … there is only enough room for the 2 tents packed tight against eachother and the wall, i wont have any space for the ducting coming out the side. theres also only 1 inch clearance above them :frowning: i should have just gotten a 3x3 for vegging!

4 Likes

Can you off set then so the doors open toward each other? Maybe awkward to get in, but both available? Good luck legal. Moving can definitely be stressful and time consuming.

That’s a good shop. Keep shopping there. What part of the country?

I’m in Winnipeg

1 Like