Nagel420's Auto-Burp System

LOL, you’re about 2 months late here :wink: Canning season is Oct / Nov, by now most peoples gardens have been canned a month!

BUT I will say this… I like the 64oz jars. 6 of them costs $12.95. My local shoprite grocery store had them in sept - nov, and is out now. A local walmart still has them (heading there tomorrow, I need more), and STILL $12… Do NOT pay $30, $40 or even up to $60 for the SAME thing on Amazon unless you just got money to burn!!

Ya don’t need anything too crazy, no water involved so almost any cheap one works.

Haven’t noticed a heat increase using an Alita 15A, and while its not a piston pump, its a rather strong diaphragm pump, the pump gets warm, but since ambient room is cool, the air is cool too.

Cycles and cycle times I vary, I think ambient humidity factors in. For example, I only purge 2x a day for 15 mins (shortest timer cycle) in an open room as RH is 40% and I don’t wanna dry it out too fast. I also have some in the curing “tent” with a RH maintained at 60%, and those are burped 6x a day.

For as much as I have running on Home Assistant (and I do have govees that I can toss in jars), I haven’t applied that automation to the jars yet (my tents have something similar controlling fans / humidifiers).

And remember, by the time you jar up the buds, they should be mostly dry enough to not cause humidity fluctuations in the jar, the primary reason for burping is adding Oxygen and removing CO2, so that the biological curing process continues. During the jar cure, the microbial processes use Oxygen and release CO2. If they run out of Oxygen, the cure slows and stops much like if you dry it too fast to 50% RH…

I do like the idea of an adjustable purge based on RH though…

But! Keep in mind, too dry (ie my room is at 40% now with heat on for the winter - forced hot air), too many / too long of a cycle would overdry it. I think aiming for 60% RH in the area where the air pump is would be the goal. You should be dry enough that the burping is for air exchange then, and not to continue the drying process…

2 Likes

LOL, I use something called Homeseer to automate my home, been doing HA since the X10 days. Just moved into a new house about 3 months ago and have not set up my automation yet. My next tent grow though will be very automated. I use primarily Zwave and Zigbee devices. Can also link into IFTT with it.

You auto-burping concept really has me fired up. My next harvest will be late Feb and I do plan to implement this and play with it. I will maintain 1 jar the traditional manual way, and then compare the results after 90 days in a side by side taste test.

I hear you on the incoming humidity. I think to really test out the possibilities of auto-burp based on RH, I need to control the incoming humidity, otherwise I am at the mercy of ambient which changes drastically here from day to day.

Have you tested the Govees for accuracy yet? Like with a 75% salt slurry. I have seen the Govees and am curious if they maintain calibration or if they drift.

I have tested with the salt slurry, and it was dead on when I tested. Not sure if it will drift over time, havent re-tested.

I remember X10. Oh the issues I had there controlling Reef Aquariums… I got into Home Assistant this year, and love how far things have come since X10 days (I got a TON of X10 wall switches here I’ll give you a deal on, not even unboxed!). lol

1 Like

Not buying jars bro they have tons rn at stores for cheap stock up !

LOL, I phased out X10 about 10 years ago, dont run the protocol at all anymore. Once zigbee came out with cheap motion sensors that were dependable and lasted 1yr+ on batteries, I ditched X10 altogether.

My next grow though I will break all the gear out. Mainly so that I can adjust setpoints remotely. I can see everything in realtime right now, but I have to be physically present to adjust things.

Now to automate the Reservoir chemistry is another story. Not sure the view is worth the climb as pH & conductivty probes, and dosing pumps can get pricey.

My shoprite has been out of them since nov! they get them sept - nov, then its only small ones on the shelf…

I have to go up into sussex county for em now (farmland vs my forests)

About when I did as well (took down the reef tanks in 2008). Havent bothered with home automation here, only got interested with HA with controlling the tent, and it just keeps growing LOL…

Having if / then capability really changes it from what X10 would do. I also like the interface and graphing / reporting abilities, but like you mention, some sensors get pricey. Theres a whole 7 video series on HA and hydro on YT where I learned how to set up the basics of mine, and he does some DIY and more affordable things to manage nutes with dosing pumps, magnetic stirrers, etc.

3 Likes

Damn that’s crazy and yeah during canning season they were wicked hard to find then all the sudden they started showing up hot n heavy yeah I got two cases of the small ones in a panic when they were running low they really suck maybe for a ounce of dried weed in there no good for curing IMO

Just got myself a dozen, 64 oz jars, for $24 :smiley:

That should last me a while!

1 Like

@Nagel420
Wow I missed this thread

Now I need to do this

One more project is added to the list

Paps

3 Likes

OK sorry I deleted my post above but I changed the design since the Hygrometer Thermometer leaks like a sieve! I also put my out check valves into a jar of water but not only to get the flow right but from pump being so strong it has a slight whistle and that muffles it and I think it will also get rid of some of the nugs smell coming out of the jars.

Anyways long story short since OG wont allow me to post .stl files ect I created a Thingiverse design so everyone can DL the files…

Thingiverse Files and images…

4 Likes

I tried sealing the edges of the hygrometer with silicone, didnt make a difference, hence why I abandoned them. I printed ones like you made, and they worked ok, ultimately its just easier to drill a hole in a mason jar cap and silicone the check valves to that… Hence why I never offered these lids. Kinda abandoned them (but not the “system”)…

I now just toss the hygrometer in the jar with the buds and seal it in there.

3 Likes

Lol I tried sealing them as well, even with a ton of sealant they still leaked. As for the lids, well I have the printer and time and they just looked cool :slight_smile: I would love to get the hygrometer in the lid Ill have to think about how.

I could use a DHT22 on the underside of the lid and have them all run to a 1.3 LCD running a pico or Tiny2040? That would fix it…

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Clear plastic viewport in top of lid. Glue hygrometer to inside of the lid under viewport.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes