Need some strain suggestions please

Howdee people!
I’m pretty new to this activity, still setting up and planning, and need some suggestions for best strains to use in high temperature, high humidity region practically on the equator. I intend to grow inside a greenhouse.
Theoretically, from the 12/12 perspective, what should I be careful with as regards sowing and planting time being so close to the equator?
Really appreciate your help…

6 Likes

Welcome to og @elfman! We’re all happy to have you here, im not too familiar with what your asking but very high mold resistant indicas I would think would do well in a hot and humid environment. Just my thinking :thinking:, maybe someone will chime in and give a better answer.

Stay kind,

Pawsfodocaws

3 Likes

Generally tropical, equatorial sativas do best near the equator, in more humid environments. Almost any sativa, in general, will be better suited for that type of growing environment–the taller, looser structure of both the plant and the buds on sativas increases airflow and prevents mold in more humid environments. Sativas with dense, hard flowers have likely been ‘dutched’ or outcrossed with indicas or hybrids at some point. I’d probably go with some Durban Poison or a Haze.

14 Likes

Thanks Very much for responding.

1 Like

Of course. No problem.

If people are suggesting sativas (im dumb and dont know how long you have what daylight hours for the year) id suggest picking out maybe three strains. Plants adapt to your enviroment, find out whats sold locally and that will usually work. Try out a strain you are interested in or that sounds nice to you. If you dont have a top plant count then chuck in a few autos.

If you are still looking at methods of growing organic generally caters to your plants better especially if you are growing multiple strains as chemically feeding gets dialed into the plants needs.

As for sowing seeds timing you generally plant in the spring. You dont plant before the cold or rainy seasons, look at the flowering times listed for strains you have and count backwards adding on about a month.

For example the first frost average is around october for me and im using an auto strain thats done around 75 days so my last planting time is july. My last frost is in april so i can plant april (though sometimes better to leave it a little) may, june and july. A greenhouse will do a ton in reguards to frost and could add a month onto your safe times but humidity is increased.

Take my notes with a grain of salt of course as there are some grow logs of people growing through every season there is. You can always talk to local gardeners for when they plant veg or flowers of any kind and it will give you some idea, watch the farmers too as they will plant when its good to plant.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Bob13…the status quo is sativa, and must admit i prefer sativa over indica effects, so have gone ahead and ordered Durban Poison. Unfortunately where I live there is nothing I can obtain legally and this kind of information is not readily available and still quite taboo…
The Amazon region is quite severe in conditions although nothing could be further from my worries than frost. We don’t really have seasons at all; it’s or humid and sunny or humid and rainy. Our winter is when the rains come in, November/December and it’s at the end of this rainy season that planting of local culture(cassava) is done Feb/Mar/April…then the hot summer starts immediately, extremely hot (35C+) and extreme humidity (90%+). I don’t know much about the length of the days and nights but I guess that being on the equator makes this difference the smallest of all other places on earth.
I’m thinking that the greenhouse will increase humidity even more, so I gather I’ll be needing some decent ventilation.
Just to be on the safe side I think I should try a bit of everything to see what takes best…outdoor, greenhouse and under a translucent roofsheet canopy i have next to my kitchen, it doesn’t get much direct sunlight but have been able to grow amazing chilies peppers.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

4 Likes

Thanks for your time and your knowledge.
Have gone ahead and ordered Durban Poison…was thnking maybe a Malawi Gold would do the trick too maybe?
Will look into this Haze to find our more…
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your reply…

Hey another tropical grower… I am not on the equator however my max dark hours are 13hrs 15min on dec 21st so the same daylight on june 21st. Being closer to the equator means probably at most 12hr 30min max . Anything you put outdoors will flower when mature so may be more beneficial to get sativa strains as they stretch longer than indica and should give a bigger yield running at 12 /12 from the go . Look into Neville’s haze , mango haze .

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond…
I’ll be researching this info about day length, and am suddenly ovrwhelmed by how many different types there are of Haze variety…thanks for helping me narrow some down…

1 Like

just discovered…shortest day is on June 20…11 hours 57 minutes…longest day is on december 21…12 hours 18 minutes…doesn’t give me much leeway…

2 Likes

Super Silver Haze is probably my favorite of the more mold resistant hazes. There are some phenotypes of it that just smell incredible–one like fruity pebbles–and are electrifying.

2 Likes

thanks…will be looking into this…

1 Like

I have Afropips malawi gold I can send. It should do quite well. I also have the old Bahia blackhead strain from Brazilian Seed Company( aka cabeca de negro). While it has been crossed with some Indica, I can think of no better place to bring out its sativa traits than in its Homeland. It’s originally from the mouth of the Amazon. There are some local Brazilian landraces you should be on the lookout for as well if you have the patience to await a long flowering cycle. Pernambuco gold, Manga Rosa, cabeca de negro, santa maria(I think) all of these should perform well and serve as a good platform for breeding something different, if that’s what you desire. Generally in tropical regions a plant has a 6 month cycle, and growers try to harvest during a dry season, which the Amazon basin has. According to Google, the wet season is from mid-December until May, so I’d say you could plant anytime after February until early May and your plants would ripen during the dry season. Brazilian landrace’s have a flowering cycle of between 18 and 26 weeks. I just saw Haze’s recommended. Good one. Any “wet” sativa should work.( Moroccan is a " dry" sativa) You’ll just have to pick out those that perform best.
Indicas with humidity tolerance may hold up for you, but they will flower immediately outdoors, leading to tiny plants. You can grow them indoors and put outside to flower for some size, but be prepared to lose more than you harvest until you find the most mold resistant plants. It could take awhile.
Are size restrictions a problem? Most of what I recommended can become trees…

5 Likes

Thanks very much for your time in responding to my query…really appreciate your detailed information and suggestions.
It was a true lesson in what there is in this region, although availabiliy and accessibility are things totally out of the question at the moment due to our rather archaic legislation.
There are certainly not any size restrictions as a 20-acre mid-jungle countryhouse appears as an apt retirement location in serious need of self-sustaining cannabinoid provision.
There is a quarter-acre patch that was cleared before for passion fruit, end of the year am gong to have it uncleared again and set up a greenhouse with light, but plant out in the open too.Germination will be end of Feb and am hoping for the best. Rather excited about this whole project actually. Have read the Cannabis Grow Bible, have read loads of material online, have watched hours of videos available online, i feel a bit better prepared than a couple of months ago, and of course, all say the same thing, you learn from making mistakes.
i feel I’m ready to start making my mistakes then… :slightly_smiling_face:
I would sure appreciate some of your seeds, but wonder if this is indeed possible. I believe it better to arrange via personal email instead…or if you have any atlernative arrangement, please do inform.
Thanks again for your time in sharing your knowledge.

1 Like

You can also look at some long perpetual flowering plants like zamal and pure Thai or laos strains, these I would think have basically been bred for your environment with high humidity, the very airy type buds from these should give you the some help with the high humidity and mould and as a bonus they are extremely potent from my understanding.

1 Like

Imagine smoking the same plant for years without cloning! I’d love to grow in the jungle!

2 Likes

Man the equator is exactly where I’d like to be growing, the stories I’ve read about zamal are crazy

1 Like

In case you didn’t know…French Touch seeds has 3 different Zamal lines. 2 landraces, and a hybrid with the 3rd, rarest Reunion Island ( zamal) landrace. Very long flowering.

1 Like