How do you clone?

Hi everyone …I’ve just started clones for first time. Was wondering what is the maximum humidity I should have in the propogator ? As its at 90% now and temperature is at 21*c on day 2

2 Likes

I never measure when i use a dome. If there isn’t condensation then you need more humidity. If you start with a lot of humidity then finish with it. If you just clone in open air then leave them in open air till they finish rooting. Switching back and forth screws them up bad.

5 Likes

Thanks man, much appreciated ! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m with ryasco, no dome atmosheric humidity easy peezy.

1 Like

I dome, then slowly expose to more air. My RH is way too low to support clones even with a humidifier, but I’m ok with that, keeps any PM away. Here I have a batch of clones uncovered getting hardened off. I stage them from squares and the big girls go to bags.

I think the point is not to suffocate them, the first thing I do when I go to the garden I uncover them when then after all my duties are done I put the dome back on with a few exhales of air into the dome to hopefully boost co2.

If you can do it without a dome, great, saves time in hardening off.

4 Likes

I agree with @GrowerGoneWild … I had always better results with dome (for about 5-7 days then usually gradually remove the dome) than without. But it depends what air humidity do you have in grow room… In my dry conditions it was too dry in my eyes (clones wilted)…

But as it was suggested, it can properly work without …

90% RH is OK I think… you could also raise temp because I think it roots better in warm temps…

I’d say choice of dome and choice of rooting hormone (for cloning: powder or liquid) are totally subjective things… Try and experiment little bit and go with what works for you best.

There is also great cloning step by step guide by @metaphysical

3 Likes

I want to throw out there, cloning without a dome will NOT IMPROVE your results. I only need a few clones at a time so i root in my living room. I don’t use rooting hormone or a dome. I usually get seven or eight out of ten. If my cat is pissed maybe less. I also don’t keep weak plants. If a pheno is fussy, i don’t grow it anymore. That probably helps the most.
I help out on a few medical grows from time to time. When i have to have a lot of clones quickly i use hormone, dome, and change the water daily. Often i will get 100%. I just didn’t want to misinform anybody.

4 Likes

I got some secret sauce that will get a chopstick to root. :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

The term “secret sauce” always makes me apprehensive. lol :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

I’m only small scale 12 at a time max, I’m too lazy to upkeep a really moist environment, so I adjusted my cloning method with the KISS model, like ryasco 7-8 outta ten. Only attend to them once every 2 days and can be left for 4 days if need be. Not suitable for production types and volumes required for that obviously, but it is cheaply upscaled to ridiculous numbers if yer macguyverin it LOL.

1 Like

Secret Sauce eeeewwww Better not be adding that around the wife and kids LOL sorry that one has me in tears LMAO Yes I’m a rascist and a sexist…chopstick ahahaha.

3 Likes

I liked using the dome and a little rooting powder.

Back when Highgrade was inspiring everyone with his DWC (bubbler buckets) posts I tried variation of something a I read about.

I put some holes in a Styrofoam plate and slid the cutting through the holes so they would stand upright and about 2" of the cutting were sticking out of the bottom of the plate. Then simply drop on top of a bucket of plain water with an air stone. No dome required or maintenance. However I did find that clones rooted this way did not transplant well in to soil for some reason. Better suited for hydro.

1 Like

aloe filet soak, bee pollen soak, and shilajit soak. add a kelp soak too why not. 100% cloning in a week

2 Likes

Aloe Vera plant is the best rooting solution

3 Likes

Im using clonex for now, hopefully it does the job :slight_smile: ha
I have thought about the aloe Vera plant aswel …so I will defiantly get my hands on one and compare with the next set of clones I take :smiley:

It could work, some cultivars are hard to root, and need some help. Generally speaking cannabis usually does not require a rooting hormone.

Clonex works because it contains .3% IBA, I personally like higher concentrations of IBA like 1% with a mix of NAA. like Dip N Grow. Relatively inexpensive to treat thousands of cuttings with quick rooting speed. I think it was 2 cents a cut to treat with a commercial formula.

1% IBA/NAA soaks of 1 min even work in aero cloners, the point is simply to soak the tissue then put into cloner of choice. Dip and Grow works off this concept.

7 days, after 1 min dip and aerocloner with 5ml clonex solution, 24/7 moderate light and 75F, you will see rootmass.
14 days after .3% solution dripped onto the cube 24/7 moderate light and 80F in a propagation tray, you will see roots on the bottom of a 1.5 inch rockwool cube.

4 Likes

So I am not really into growing cannabis but read a lot about it as I grow my veggies in doors and in all honesty, if you want information on indoor grow rooms that’s the place to get it. I have heard growing cannabis is almost identical to growing tomatos, my question is how close? I ask because I developed a method of cloning tomato plants which has a 100% success rate with 0% stress on either plant.

I am actually going to try to market it but the real market for this is not tomatoes. Can anyone tell me if this really is identical to tomato cloning?

Hey tasma3, it’s OK, we’re all friends here. :slight_smile:

So, what kind of “tomatoes” are you cloning?

Lots of ways to clone successfully. What is your tech?

-b420

2 Likes

Haha no really tomatoes though I really want to test it on many other things. Yes including marijuana. I developed this neat device. I’m testing it now but totally unfamiliar with cloning on anything other than tomatoes. Is it the same? Tomatoes get these bumps on the stems which can develop into roots. How about cloning cannabis?

Cannabis is a little harder than tomatoes. Though, not difficult. It might not be scientifically accurite, but I think of the bumps you mention as adventitious roots, or aerial roots. These, when surrounded with grow medium, or a cloning chamber can form roots. With cannabis, it is easier to use a node as the initiation point to strike new roots. That is, it is harder to strike roots from the internodal stem.