Nigerian Haze ~f1 isolation/preservation Project

Thanks to the collaboration and contributions of friends we are going to be working with one of the most influential haze lines in the last 30 years. It was made by Topdawg Genetics around 2012 or earlier and has been the common parent in recurring awards and highest recording of haze type terpenes.

It is unique to the other makes of Nevil’s original 5haze of The Seed Bank in that everything else was selected or bred to indica BLD which can irrecoverably change the haze effect and terpenes. JJ went the opposite of those at the time and recovering an old original pack selected the most NLD 5haze male and crossed it to Nigerian Silk (100% sativa).

This effectively preserved the haze qualities of the 5haze potential within its genetics. There will be numerous accessions and isolations made and several goals including selection to the original 5haze cut I remember and further work with the aneoploid/mutant traits of Nevil’s original 5haze and Alpine Haze 1.0…more to come

Merry Christmas :pray::v::heartbeat:

87 Likes

Merry Xmas and good luck with your endeavor.

12 Likes

Well this will be interesting! All the best to your endeavor.

4 Likes

So awesome! Where do I set up my cot? :wink:

5 Likes

Verry cool. How many seeds were put in TC.
Pulling up a chair.

2 Likes

They are 2 at a time, lots of 6… possibly around 30, 3 packs in total. The only collaborator at this time is Blazer at the Bean Basement. Another individual has expressed interest in contributing as well, but nothing is confirmed.

We do know that traditional germination of these old packs is at less than 50%. Returning to dust.

I am grateful for the confidence to practice tech and art as well as test the theories. Aside from doing my part it’s partly up to others what comes next.

I believe I am a good fit in that I knew the best of what came out of TSB 5haze and ran the haze5. I have been seeking what was lost through many other breeders and makes over the last 30 years so perspective. Lol, I get jabs from the haze family about running so many NL. It all adds to a holistic perspective. The most I can offer is that I always quietly assume I am wrong at every step.
It was a lack of method and ego that buried and lost so much very early on. I plan to anchor points against my own failability.

Anyway. To answer your question. We are running as many as we can. It’ll be well documented for reference about what did or didn’t work and probably take awhile so not overly exciting, but hopefully a beneficial thread to learn from each other.

25 Likes

The first time I tried the Nigerian was probably around 2014-2015, directly from JJ.

I think this is the stuff you’re remembering, as it is forever etched in my mind as some of the most incredible stuff I ever smoked.

It had all the sandalwood piffy-ness you’d want in a haze, but also had this sweet rotten berry earthy cheese smell to it as well. Does that ring a bell?

You are chasing the holy grail! Wishing you good luck :slight_smile:

-Crab

12 Likes

Ooh exciting! Pulling up a chair for this. I appreciate all the info!

Just FYI tho, I tried running JJ’s Nigerian Haze clone last year but it was a herm fest by week 3. Id keep an eye out.

10 Likes

Pulled up my chair. Sounds like a great project. Good luck

1 Like

Oh, this is fantastic. I’m all in :metal:t2:

Pz :v:t2:

2 Likes

Very cool!!!

1 Like

Cool, I bet I can learn a lot from this one!:sunglasses:
:peace_symbol::lobster:

1 Like

Glad the for the experimenting, bring back that of the old.

Been doing a little my self. Hopefully will be receiving some old stuff to play with as well.
Just practicing on not old stock. Just plated up 4 more last night at 1/2 strength medium to see how that goes.

21 Likes

Thank you for that input. It’s sure more helpful to be transparent about these things. Pronoun game with cannabis can be a terrible mess.

Was it the JJ’s Nigerian haze cut going around?

A couple experiences to share on this. Nevil’s haze side and the NL5 are incredibly stable. The Nigerian Silk clone only is known to have intersex traits. Beyond Organics on IG is the only one I know to be working with the ~pure seed and has been working for several generations to clean up this trait with success I believe.

The JJ’s Nigerian clone is not representative of the 5haze I remember, but there are some important arguments for the Nigerian Silk. It has been kept around for 35-40 years despite the intersex potential. Beyond Organics Nigerian Silk won 3rd place at Piffcon and I think was secord or 3rd to the Silk S that still holds the record for haze associated terpenes. Nigerian Silk is in almost everything that wins in competition.

I am biased and would like to say that it is the original 5haze in there crushing it, but it is not 5haze alone. The original 5haze F1 by Nevil is very stratified and toned down from the original make. If was almost to much in the effect. Akin to an LSD come on is accurate. An anxiety factor from its power.

The Nigerian Silk effect evens this out to a bunch of bright waves. A higher vibration. excitement and clarity. So high you forget your high. No load, no come down. Serotonin activation. You can physically feel the tickle of energy bouncing back and forth from your solar plex and crown chakras.

Now that is not in every cultivar, but it is something very special the Nigerian has added to the numerous works out there.

There is a whole other part of all of this that is a bunch of observation based theories about ghost hunting transgressive traits. Not just a generation, but deep within primordial haze. Aneoploids, mutations and the creation of natural polyploids and the next real leap in the metabolic potential of cannabis are all on the horizon or perhaps already occuring.

In the original 88 where Silk S was found (mother of Alpine Haze 1.0). A Nigerian Silk bx of sorts. JJ said “It was all over the place…” in an interview. It was discontinued. It was all over the place. The quinoa seed thing. A lot of hay haze and shit. I made a specific selections that was in part encouraged by Dwight Diotta. A friend of Nevil’s since before the Cannabis Castle…I’m getting off topic.

In the Alpine 1.0. an fgen of the 88 transformed everything. I found bred the ghost outliers. In ~100 testers there is near 100% stability. I found one outlier that showed some intersex late in the seed run and that has now subsided in the clone run…good fortune allowed me to very very narrowly select 2 Nevil’s 5haze ghosts. Many did however retain the Nigerian Silk 5haze synergy in effect.

The shared complaint. “Genetic greatness was lost. It has never been the same or equal etc.”. These are true and accurate complaints, but I believe just as something can be buried for 30 yrs in a matter of 2 selections everything can be fully restored in just as many moves…and maybe something even further…

Since ai keep getting off topic .On the subject of breeding back to ancestral traits. DX4 / Piffcat recently posted this '95 Korean line.

I have a separate make that has Big Skunk Korean at ~1/24 of its genetic pedigree and have been able to bring it to 20% of the population. Among those 20% they display the Korean and Skunk throughout all visual markers and profile with virtually no sign of all the other parents in the line…~5 generations back full forward.

download (4)

14 Likes

Just a thought. The Nigerian silk clone is a headstash clone. When flowering it, branches would mature as opposed to the whole plant. You’d have a very difficult time running production with her, at least I would.

4 Likes

To be honest, I have less interesting in the Nigerian Silk side. It’s significance is that it may be an aneoploid or mutant like Nevil’s male A and C and 100% origin sativa. Similar in ways to Nevil’s Outback haze project. It has an effect I prefer…either way. I plan to make quite a few accessions to mitigate my own preferences and short comings.

4 Likes

You didn’t answer in the other thread, and it doesn’t seem like you’re coming back there. Maybe you missed my question; is there any research backing your claim that polyploids/aneuploids can be distinguished by visual or other easily observable traits, besides flow cytometry?

6 Likes

I responded, but it was buried in the flagging episode. . There are numerous markers and tech to help in identification. Many of which have been shared by DX4 /Piffcat from his extensive research on the subject. I’ll answer the question more thoroughly when I have a chance later today and see if I can get him involved in breaking down the Processes.

4 Likes

You should just be able to identify ploidy from crushing cells and staining chromatin. Your dissecting scope may not be enough magnification, but I know its possible from doing it.

4 Likes

I’ll get into more Silk testing feedback later, but can confirm the line BO worked was quite herm prone and took, iirc, years to work out. I think it still does herm, but to a far lesser extent. Another possible contributing factor in JJ giving up the line, and working toward the mango Nigerians and African hazes, etc.

In terms of effect—keeping in mind that biochemistry is a huge differentiator—I’d say the potency/feel is very legit-haze-like and powerful, but quite different from other hazes in its category (puday, NYC haze, etc.). It’s got a creeper high that doesn’t seem like much at first, and then bam, you’re on another plane, and it keeps sending waves of sensation that wash over you. Very much an awakening experience, but not the mild functional upper high of a half-decent sativa—more electric. In concentrate form… well, it stands up to mushies and parallels reports I hear of powerhouse Thai and Zamal phenos.

The power reminds me of Viet Black, but I get a dark, sinister vibe from VB, or the VB164 at least, and find Silk more neutral/positive on some phenos, or more malleable to one’s current mood and less controlling. Some phenos have a mild to moderate stone, which I don’t care for at all. Phylos says there’s a smidge of “skunk” in the line, which, if it is a haze, could explain the stone and align it with the 5hz work. Phylos, as much as it’s reliable (or not), groups it with pure landrace Colombians, a pure Panamanian, and Ace’s Green Haze #19 (from Oldtimer’s line, iirc). Not sure about the “Nigerian” component. Phylos is fallible, but other Nigerians I’ve had don’t align. Runtime varies, but BO likes the 100-day ones.

I find the Silk to be fab medicine and wish it wasn’t so unobtanium, but I also really admire what SG is doing to use it as a basis (kinda like JJ did) to resurrect the powerhouse piney, incensey hazes from the '90s. I smoked that stuff almost exclusively back then, and most of the current “piff” lines aren’t even close in potency. I can see why Silk did so well at Piffcon—enlivening potency—but I can also see why folks preferred the African haze (which has Silk in it): the Silk doesn’t generally have incense. Different phenos have sandalwood, cedar, some soapiness, but very restrained incense, if any, to my palate. That said, in my recent haze explorations I’ve preferred soapy hazes to incense hazes.

Someone told me soapiness comes from Thai influence, and I have no clue if that’s true, but that would point toward one ancestor (along with haze properties, and hearsay of potential Thai influence in Colombia). But that’s all a lot of conjecture. Whatever it is, it’s great medicine for my severe physical ailments, and I can hardly wait to see what other fabulous medicines its children conjure.

Okay, enough rambling… hope this is helpful to someone.

(Oh, I forgot to talk about the camphene! But let’s save something for later.)

11 Likes