Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 3)

Popsicle sticks? Popsicle sticks?? So basically, you’re a timber framer! :laughing:

On a more serious note, if you personally have an interest in construction, particularly roofs, you really want to check out stereotomy. It is so freakin’ amazing!

Do you know the roof of Notre Dame was planned and built entirely without the use of math?! Absolutely no math. And it’s being rebuilt the same way, without math! They’re using stereotomy. Roofs are generally the most serious challenge for the residential carpenter, especially a roof with hips and valleys, dormers, intersecting planes, etc. Even the simplest roof can be built using this method.

https://www.marcadams.com/workshop/stereotomy-curved-joinery-moore/

Stereotomy, also known as descriptive geometry, “is concerned with two-dimensional representations of three dimensional objects. Plane projections and perspective drawings of solid figures are used to describe and analyze their properties for engineering and manufacturing purposes. Attention is paid to the properties of surfaces, including normal lines and tangent planes.”

In the video lecture below, Patrick Moore creates a three dimensional paper model of a pyramid where each side of the pyramid is a different angle. That makes the point where all four planes meet off center relative to the pyramid’s square base. Oh, and he only knows three of the angles before construction of the model, and it comes out it is perfect. He uses only a pencil, a straight edge, a draftsman’s 90degree triangle, and an x-acto knife to cut the paper (which remains in one piece and is simply folded!). He uses NO MATH!!, and it is amazing!

Have you ever seen roof framing that was done before about 1910? I have, and every fucking time it is amazing. Every cut is always perfect using only hand saws. Every cut, no matter how many faces. Perfect! If you’re a carpenter and have been in the attic of an old stick or timber framed building, you know what I mean. It’s so frustrating to see every cut be perfect. Honestly, I have never known a single carpenter (and I’ve known a lot of carpenters, including my son) who can frame a roof that accurately.

It’s beyond amazing!

In this lecture you will see Patrick Moore do just what I described. He will turn a piece of paper into an irregular three dimensional pyramid using no math. The lecture is an hour and a half, and it is fairly dense since this is not the way any of us has ever looked at a roof. It’s so mind blowing!

Canadian flag

4 Likes