Need Some Design Help For Rolling Trays

That’s a damn nice thing you are doing for your friend. G8PxQ8j

Couple of questions and comments. Is the smaller rectangle for papers? Similarly, is the round depression for flower?

Perhaps it’s an optical illusion, but, using my guesses above, it appears the papers holder is deeper than that for bud. I’d say deeper/more room for product. I’d want more room for the green.

As a clearly experienced woodworker, you may be interested in stereotomy. I’m guessing you’re saying to yourself WTF is that?! This ain’t a music thread!

Stereotomy, also known as descriptive geometry, “is concerned with two-dimensional representations of three dimensional objects. Plane projections and perspective drawings of solid figures are used to describe and analyze their properties for engineering and manufacturing purposes. Attention is paid to the properties of surfaces, including normal lines and tangent planes.” Generally associated with building construction, often large buildings (think Notre Dame, original and new), stereotomy has been used for smaller, non building construction, purposes as well.

I personally could see making small items that would astound other woodworkers. Oh, and let me further whet your curiosity with this little tidbit - stereotomy uses no math! None! Very simply, numbers are never manipulated and sometimes not used at all.

This post of mine includes a couple of links about stereotomy, here.

My son is on the fourth day of a five day long introductory class on stereotomy. He’s a union carpenter, and he’s thinking about what he’ll do after he retires in just a very few years. I posted about it here.

1 Like