Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 5)

5 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

I knew you would have some fascinating things to add! Thank you!

I love the house’s fabulous art deco design, but in particular I’m in awe of the roof and the sweeping main arc. I’m sure the house was built using stereotomy, aka descriptive geometry. Basically this house was built without using math!, just like Notre Dame cathedral (original and the roof’s reconstruction! No math!) and every other medium to large medieval building in Europe!

If anyone is interested in learning more about this ancient and amazing construction method (traditionally used for stone and wood structures), Patrick Moore is the only accredited teacher in North America. Canadian flag Yes, he’s Canadian.

It takes years to actually pass the examinations to become certified. (Interesting factoid - originally, all apprentices followed a geographic road as they progressed in their studies. That road follows what we know as the Tour de France bicycle race.) Patrick Moore teaches classes, and my son is going to take his introductory class next year. The kid is a master carpenter and is going to retire in just a few years. I’m so fucking excited for him. Moore has an extended video, it’s about an hour as I recall, that gives viewers a primer on stereotomy. Unfortunately, I’m not finding the video at the moment. leaf This is basically what the video consists of - he demonstrates how to make a 3D pyramid out of stiff paper. The pyramid’s base is square and it’s peak, which he knows the height of, is offset (so none of the sides are equal), and he does it without any plans or math! The piece of stiff paper is folded along the lines laid out using stereotomy. From that paper model, all angles are determined.

For any of you carpenters out there, have you ever been in the attic of a building (including houses) built around or before 1900 and looked at the framing? Ever notice how virtually every cut of every rafter fits nice and snug and the angles of the cuts (including cheek and multifaced cuts) are just so clean? I noticed it lots of times before I retired and was always frustrated by how great those difficult cuts were made. I don’t believe those guys were necessarily superior carpenters (although doing these things is for experienced carpenters only), but rather they had a superior planning/layout system.

This is a model showing what kinds of things are possible with stereotomy. I wouldn’t have a clue about how to lay this out (or “even” “just” the dark color member with the sweeping arch) or cut any of those cheeks cuts on any stick, much less actually build it. How about yourself?

4 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Meanwhile, somewhere in Canada…

Canadian flag

7 Likes

Cuppa joe for ya, babe? Or maybe tea?

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes