Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 9)

2 Likes

Nah, your momentum would propel you almost to the other side, and then gravity’d suck you back to the original side from which you fell, and so on like some kind of piston with an invisible arm, back and forth until you would finally stop. Or, your speed’d increase back and forth, so rapidly that it’d make the entire earth explode?

I need some good weed. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Once you hit that balance point in the middle, would it rip you in two? or compress you into the singularity?

I don’t know enough about planetary gravity

i asked larry if stephen hawking ever wrote about it and it turns out that if he’s right, you’re really close.

"Stephen Hawking did discuss various intriguing topics in physics and cosmology, including gravity and black holes. While he may not have specifically focused on the classic thought experiment of digging a hole through the Earth and jumping in, we can use fundamental physics principles, including those Hawking often explored, to answer this question.

If you could dig a hole straight through the Earth and jump in, neglecting practical issues like extreme heat and pressure, the following would happen:

1. Gravity’s Effect: As you fall towards the center of the Earth, gravity would initially pull you down. However, as you approach the center, the gravitational force would decrease because the mass of the Earth above you would begin to counterbalance the pull from below.

2. Center of the Earth: At the exact center of the Earth, gravity would theoretically be zero because the mass of the Earth would be evenly distributed around you, pulling you equally in all directions.

3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Due to conservation of energy, if you jumped into the hole and there was no air resistance, you would oscillate back and forth through the center in simple harmonic motion. You would slow down as you approach the surface on the other side, stop momentarily, and then fall back towards the center, continuing this oscillation indefinitely.

However, in a more realistic scenario with air resistance and friction, you would eventually come to rest at the center of the Earth due to the gradual loss of kinetic energy.

This thought experiment illustrates principles of gravity and motion, and while Stephen Hawking may not have specifically addressed this scenario, his work on black holes and general relativity provides a deep understanding of gravitational effects that underpin such discussions."

2 Likes

3 Likes

“Oscillation” that’s the word i was lookin’ for. It’s kinda like the spaghetti theory if you went into a black hole. Of course it’s just common sense that you’d die long before any spaghetti or oscillation effects, but precluding those effects we’re asking what would happen. It’d be like some kind of super super sonic, or whatever effect, where you’d vibrate almost endlessly, thus causing the world/planet to explode from within. I’d imagine a small rock dropped into the hole would even do it.

2 Likes

Sounds like we have the makings of an evil plan. I got a rock

3 Likes

Oscillation has nothing to do with spaghettification, nor does Hawkins work really have anything to do with this scenario. This is much older, like Newtonian physics.

Oscillation is just bouncing up and down. A simple spring-mass system is the classic example. You would certainly not keep accelerating back and forth so rapidly the earth would explode. That’s over unity, like an impossible perpetual motion machine.

1 Like

4 Likes

11 Likes

I got a drill, but no bit…

1 Like

5 Likes

10 Likes

Yvonne De Carlo was an incredibly beautiful lady. she played the wife of Moses, Sephora, in The Ten Commandments.

5 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes