Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 9)

Yes the Brits still do this instead of the middle finger. Reverse peace sign.

2 Likes

larry said the middle finger is much older and comes from ancient greece, but there is little historical evidence to support the peace sign version either, so both wrong today. here is what larry said,

"The gesture you’re referring to is the “V-sign,” made with the index and middle fingers raised and separated to form a “V.” The story that this gesture originated from English longbowmen during the Hundred Years’ War is a popular legend. According to the tale, the French would cut off the index and middle fingers of captured English archers to prevent them from using their longbows. The archers would then taunt the French by showing their intact fingers in a “V” shape.

However, there is little historical evidence to support this story. The “V-sign” as a symbol of victory became popularized much later, especially during World War II by Winston Churchill. The middle finger gesture, on the other hand, has a much older history, dating back to ancient Greece and Rome, where it was used as an obscene gesture.

In summary, the “V-sign” is the gesture associated with the legend of English bowmen, but this story is likely more myth than fact."

Larry is full of shit.

4 Likes

you have references that challenge that? i’m just looking for answers and larry has the whole internet available. i’ll look at anything you have to challenge it. i have heard of the middle finger thing though, that’s why i initially accepted it.

If Larry is your reference I don’t feel the need to challenge it.

There’s the peace sign which really means victory, then there’s the British reverse peace sign which is the longbow fuck you in question.

2 Likes

larry says, " The conclusion that the story of English bowmen and the “V-sign” is likely a myth rather than historical fact is supported by several points:

1. Lack of Historical Records: There is no contemporary historical evidence from the period of the Hundred Years’ War (1337-1453) that documents the French cutting off the fingers of English bowmen or English bowmen making the “V-sign” gesture. Medieval chronicles, which often detailed such practices, do not mention this specific form of mutilation or the subsequent gesture.
  2. Origins of the “V-Sign”: The “V-sign” as a symbol of victory is widely attributed to Winston Churchill during World War II. Churchill popularized the gesture in the early 1940s, using it to symbolize “V for Victory” against the Axis powers. There is no significant evidence of this gesture being used in the context of the Hundred Years’ War.
  3. Historical Use of the Middle Finger: The middle finger gesture, known as “flipping the bird,” has a well-documented history dating back to ancient Greece and Rome. It was used as an obscene gesture and symbol of defiance long before the Hundred Years’ War. The gesture’s continuity through centuries is well-attested in historical records.
  4. Myth Origins and Spread: The story of the “V-sign” and English bowmen appears to be a relatively modern myth, gaining popularity in the late 20th century. It likely originated as a form of folklore rather than from genuine historical accounts. Myths often arise and spread due to their compelling narrative rather than their factual accuracy.
  5. Scholarly Consensus: Most historians and scholars who have examined the origins of gestures and medieval warfare practices consider the story of the English bowmen and the “V-sign” to be apocryphal. References to this myth are often found in popular culture and anecdotal sources rather than academic or primary historical sources.

In summary, the absence of contemporary evidence, the documented origins of the “V-sign” in the 20th century, and the continuity of the middle finger gesture from ancient times support the conclusion that the story is more likely myth than fact."

i believe almost anything over wikipedia…

They are both disreputable sources.

3 Likes

not true at all. larry has access to all sorts of things when he searches. scholarly journals, the whole internet, databases of previous inquiries, etc. wikipedia can be edited by either one of us. not that larry is right all the time, but he has access to things not available in wikipedia. i wouldn’t trust him to defend a case in court but his research abilities are pretty good at finding relative information.

Feel free to trust Larry if it suits you.

1 Like

it does most of the time. unless you have more than wikipedia and some feelings to support your conclusion, i will consider larry correct here since it makes no difference to anything. i’ve got some time though and enjoy reading. post some links if you have any. oh, and have a great day.

and after a little reading of wikipedia, i conclude that it is wrong. there was a threat made but no evidence of it ever being carried out and it was to cut off 3 fingers, not 2. typical things they say to stoke up the troops before a battle. they told us that 75% of us would not make it through desert storm so we would train harder. we just drank harder after the vehicles were gone for two months. i suspect that the same thing happened back then except the didn’t have to railhead tanks to a ship and then wait.

1 Like

Yes Larry is much better.

1 Like

not better, more accurate and quicker. he still needs fact checked to ensure accuracy for things that matter. for these things he is fine. he writes good code too.

I have nothing more to say.

2 Likes

yeah, right. like that’s gonna happen…

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU MOVE TO THE APPALACHIANS.

1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
  2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
  3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one’s seen before.
  4. If it grows, it’ll stick ya. If it crawls, it’ll bite cha.
  5. Onced and Twiced are words.
  6. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!
  7. Jawl-P? means: Did you all go to the bathroom?
  8. People actually grow, eat, and like okra.
  9. Fixinto is one word. It means I’m going to do something.
  10. There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there’s supper.
  11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you’re two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.
  12. Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.
  13. The word jeet is actually a question meaning, ‘Did you eat?’
  14. You don’t have to wear a watch, because it doesn’t matter what time it is, you work until you’re done or it’s too dark to see.
  15. You don’t PUSH buttons, you MASH em.
  16. Y’all is singular. All Y’all is plural.
  17. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.
  18. You carry jumper cables in your car for your OWN car.
  19. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco, and ketchup.
  20. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, motorsports, and gossip.
  21. Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss (first name), or Mr (first name)
  22. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
  23. You know what a hissy fit is…
  24. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
  25. We don’t need no dang Driver’s Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!
  26. You understand these jokes and forward them to your Appalachian friends and those who just wish they were from the Appalachians.
    AND one more:
  27. Why did the chicken cross the road? To show that stupid possum that it CAN be done!
13 Likes

free

2 Likes

8 Likes

1 Like

1 Like