Nube ❓about f1, f2, etc.

Good question, I’m curious as well

Depends on where you look. @DougDawson did a whole seed run for BOG Sour Bubble BX3. But I would agree that in general, it’s not commonly seen.

1 Like

Real hybrids usually show vigorous, mostly uniform offspring in the first generation.

As opposed to poly-hybrids(hybrid + hybrid) which often produce unpredictable results.

Analogy: mixing 2 primary colors versus 2 mixed palletes of various colors.
:red_square: + :blue_square: = :purple_square: vs. :purple_square::green_circle: :black_large_square: :yellow_circle: + :blue_square: :red_square: :orange_square: = :brown_square: :gem: :poop: :man_shrugging: :rofl:

The second generation produces more variety than the F1 and may show very unpredictable traits & recessive genes.

At this point a breeder may choose to select individual plants & begin narrowing aka bottlenecking the gene pool. Or they may use all of the offspring aka open :sweat_drops: pollination and maintain as much of the total inherited genetic diversity as possible.

Hope this helps. :v:

:evergreen_tree: emojified

4 Likes

LOL, only when it isn’t the right info.

3 Likes

So after someone breeds fast f2 there is a bigger chance of mutations and unpredictable results, but there’s still a chance it will produce strong DNA?

2 Likes

A x B = f1
(A x B) x C = f1
[(A x B) x C] X [(A x B) x C] = gen 1

A x B) x C] X [(A x B) x C]
X
A x B) x C] X [(A x B) x C] = gen 2

(A x B) x (A x B) = gen 1

[(A x B) x (A x B)] X [(A x B) x (A x B)] = gen 2

[(A x B) x (A x B)] X [(A x B) x (A x B)]
                              X
  [(A x B) x (A x B)] X [(A x B) x (A x B)]
                       = gen 3
 There is a difference in generational plant versus first filial crosses.   

You can call them F whatever, but they are still first generational crosses as long as you keep adding new genetics to the mix.
The plants produced by f? Plants will produce as randomly as the amount parents that are in its filial count. Not to mention the relatives of those plants.
They are good for sourcing new genetics, but always take into consideration of what’s on the other side of the cross. I try eliminating as much guess work as possible to produce, reliable, repeatable results. RRR. Just my way.

2 Likes

I was in your shoes, read this, was turned on to it here. Also, you might see P, stands for Parent.

@Natea

Breeding for dummies is right.
Breed outside the box.
The 2x2 Putnam theory is good for calculating the basics. But it fails to account for the potential magic of the breeding.
Why else would they be searching 1000 plants for that one.
A successful breeding program will take the time to produce that 1 and it’s offspring. Breeders know that 1 can produce another. Then another.
The trouble is all the work that it takes just to produce that 1. But I assure you that it will all be worth it when you are producing offspring that smoke just as good, if not better than the original 1.
This concept eludes most breeders or there would be more of them who utilize the process.
But it does say breeding for dummies….
Do you not know what happens when you breed two 1’s together. Me either because I’m afraid to grow them out.
That’s because I’m choosing the larf of this bud over much better grown bud. That’s because of how good it is. This is the f1 of the cross.
Now picture yourself choosing the 1 out of 5 different crosses… then breeding those together.
Each breeding will produce 100% 1 plants regardless of the cross. Magic = when hard work pays off.

2 Likes

As long as we’re talkin…

Can someone please clarify if there is a standard for indicating the male and female parents in crosses?

I recently (and accidentally) dusted an Acapulco Gold female with White Widow Pollen. Is the terminology “AG x WW,” or “WW x AG?”
Or is there an accepted standard notation?

-Grouchy

6 Likes

Female comes first, then the male. So it would be AG x WW

7 Likes

Thanks @VAhomegrown.
Does everyone but me know that rule? Can it be relied on when folks describe their crosses?

3 Likes

90% of the time. Some people don’t know about that. I see it switched pretty often. But people understand that order for the most part

3 Likes

Is that also the convention throughout breeding lingo, like Punnett squares and diagrams?

Like “Pistillate on the left, Staminate on the right?”

1 Like

The mostly accepted “standard” is, female is always first, but no, not everyone knows about this rule. Some older breeders still use male first. Like Nevil, he always listed male first.

4 Likes

@PioneerValleyOG i think this was a really good article, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I always list my female first. Pollen donor second as well.

1 Like

And thanks everyone else for their replies, very helpful!

2 Likes