šŸ“š OG Book Club - (non-Cannabis)

That type of stuff is good. Somewhat obscure historical references cuts through the clutter on events decades later. I appreciate those who study such things.

3 Likes

I think my favorite is Child of God, NCFOM is also choice and my favorite movie as well. Really no bad options.

2 Likes

Crisis in The Red Zone. Richard Preston. This guy really has a flair for telling these stories. This is a chronicle of the 2014 Ebola outbreak, but it traces the history of Ebola from its discovery in '76.

Crisis

I just read this one, and The Hot Zone during the last month or so. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™m on it!

1 Like

Such a good book. Loved it as a kid. Gave it to my daughter and she thought it was boring and stopped reading.

1 Like

yea a girl would think so i would think. a country boy would LOVE it espically the movie try to get the girl to watch the movie.

Just finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.

Was a great read start to finish. If you like fiction, itā€™s definitely enjoyable and well written :+1:

3 Likes

When I started reading to my children, I rediscovered the real treasure. Simple, but complex on all levels, emotionally charged ā€¦
All these books are filled with some free, honorable, anarchist spirit. They are worth countless times more than all school materials
Of course there are more, but these were pure pleasure. Spiced with a little Jackberry

And perhaps my favorite book ever
51DlA-OrvVL.SX382_BO1,204,203,200

10 Likes

I wanted to revisit this thread because I finally gave in to my urge to buy a new dedicated e reader. I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite and I am happy to say that it has re-kindled my interest in e books. It is small, but with a really crisp text display. Super easy to use and adjust to preferences. And I can actually read it outdoors in bright sunlight.
I just finished Jeff Shaaraā€™s The Glorious Cause, which is about the American Revolutionā€¦
Recommended to those that enjoy historical novels. A lot of it takes place in my home State of NJ, vividly describing many of the pivotal battles fought in the Garden State.

Anyway, I wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Kindle Paperwhite.
:+1:

:+1:

8 Likes

Re-kindled :joy: amazing

My favorite book I ever read was a walk in the woods. Iā€™ve never seen the movie because the book was so much fun to read Iā€™d hate to have it ruined by the film. My English teacher in hs was always mad id just sleep in her class. I told her that id try to read along but id fall asleep anyway. She gave me this book to read and do a report on so i wouldnā€™t sleep in her class. It worked and i still really like it. Itā€™s a funny take on someoneā€™s adventure on the Appalachian trail. Definitely worth a read.

5 Likes

Similar to the sailing book someone posted earlier this one is just awesome. Itā€™s about a guy who voluntarily goes to live alone on a tropical island for years.

99746.UY300_SS300

5 Likes

Son of the guy who wrote Killer Angels, IIRC. That was a top notch book.

3 Likes

Yes, Killer Angels was remarkably good.

I was initially skeptical when I found that Michaelā€™s Son Jeff was following in his footsteps.

However, Jeffā€™s books are at least as good and worthwhile as his fatherā€™s, IMO.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read this in Spanish and English and the translation is really good. MĆ”rquez trademark style is magical-realism. I find it to be somewhat psychedelic and dreamlike. Not sweet dreams or nightmares, just those weird dreams about everyday life where impossible things happen. Murder in Latin America, like everywhere else can be a very personal, local and public occurrence that you can sometimes see building up like a storm and then the lightning strikes and it completely changes the atmosphere. People are shocked and the murderers scatter and hide like rats because now they know the sky is going to fall on them. To be honest, Iā€™ve been friends with people who have committed murder. They spent the night at my house, we grew up together or I got to know them in school because of drugs. People I consider like family have been responsible for another personā€™s death and it is painful to know that. People I loved have been murdered and treated like trash by the police or investigations that determined it to be self defense. I worked as a bailiff in Superior Court and I have had many exhibits including murder weapons in my hands. I had the partially burned shoes of a little girl whose own father set her on fire in the desert, after he took her to McDonaldā€™s, right there on my desk in an unmarked metal one gallon paint can. It goes on and on. I think Iā€™m having trouble with those thoughts because of all the dead air time Iā€™ve had in the United States of Corona. It does help to get some of this shit out though. Whew! Anyhoo, this is a good book.

4 Likes

This book is about one of the most evil and widespread conspiracies to commit murder ever. The movie is being directed by Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro is cast to play William Hale. There is no ā€œfeel goodā€ part of this book. Itā€™s a story about greed and betrayal in a corrupt system.

2 Likes

bump. :smoking:

So this is whatā€™s in my bathroom library:

51xxw3tXJwL.AC_UL480_QL65 81G-0RTbXiL.AC_UY327_QL65 81R0HdWS52L.AC_UY327_QL65 510HYP03XBL.AC_UL480_QL65

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I actually like reading non fiction books, Iā€™ve read these about 25+ years ago and Iā€™ve been planning on reading them again soon after Iā€™m done with my outdoor vegetable garden. The Genuine Godfather is a great readā€¦

2 Likes

At about age 14 I had the realization that I could never possibly learn enough in one lifetime & pretty much avoided any fiction after that. It would interfere! :man_shrugging: Canā€™t stand sitcoms that all my peers enjoyed. etc.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

What are you guys reading right now? Post a picture of the cover, a brief over view of the subject matter and if you are enjoying the read or not.

color-of-law-cover

This book is pretty self explanatory by the title. But it demonstrates how at every level of the government from the FHA to the IRS, the president to the local police, policies were enacted to ensure the segregation of Americas cities.

The read is a little dry. Itā€™s a lot of factual information crammed in line after line. The subject matter isnt necessarily enjoyable either, but I think itā€™s definitely an important piece of history to know.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

4 Likes