šŸ“š OG Book Club - (non-Cannabis)

What it do, my dude? Seems like something I could give a read. Iā€™m currently reading The Iliad by Homer.

Iā€™m sure many have heard and read The Iliad. I never got a chance to give Homerā€™s books a read, so knocking that out now. Shame that men have been fighting battles over money, women, and territory for as long as weā€™ve existed.

9 Likes

Nice. Iā€™ve never read any of the classics before.

This is pretty good pretext for the last book I read.

Iā€™m having a hard time trying to explain what this book is to people. Itā€™s a piece of feminist literature but is geared towards men to help men become more emotionally whole. It goes on to explain how women need to change as well to be more receptive to the evolution of men with feelings and to stop enforcing patriarchal masculinity onto their children.

Super duper interesting read. Couldnā€™t put it down. One of the only books Iā€™ve read cover to cover in 2 sittings. The book did churn up some repressed childhood trauma and broke me down a few times.

Would recommend this book to anyone, especially guys that want to take a deeper dive into why they are the way they are and what it all means.

3 Likes

I live in NYC but like most people here grew up elsewhere. Where I come from, people slowly succumb to gravity. Here, I can go to the local YMCA and try to keep up with the 70 year olds. Try.

How do they do it? How do all of these seniors passing me on the sidewalk or bike lane do it?

Twyla Tharp is patiently explaining it to me.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: I havenā€™t read every single thing listed but at least some of the bibliographed works of/collectionsā€¦ all I can think of atm. :v:

:evergreen_tree: couldnt find the 1928 gas warfare us army manuals

6 Likes

I feel quite at home in this room!
Inveterate & voracious reader since puberty. Many of my favs are listed above by others, and my personal interests add dozens more beloved titles and whole authors.

Did you know that you can download the entire works of, say, Jack London, or Dostoyevsky to your Kindle for like $6?

In any event, for any adventurous reader in search of adventure Iā€™m pimping for the Russians. Tolstoyā€™s lesser works contain some masterpieces and are less tedious than his big name novels.

But more thought provoking is Dostoyevsky who tackles some of the huge crises and dilemmas of the human spirit.

I just finished re-reading Crime and Punishment and I marveled again at how skillfully he creates a stereotypical sociopathic monster as his main character, then provokes us over and over to be filled with disgust and dislike for the despicable Raskolnikov.

Once that message has been fixed, Dostoyevsky springs his trap and makes his reader look in the mirror; we are forced to realize that the same base human instincts that drive the villanious Ras, are intimately familiar to each of us. Self interest, in one form or another drives all of our actions.

ā€œNo, life is only given to me once and I shall never have it again; I donā€™t want to wait for ā€˜the happiness of all.ā€™ I want to live myself, or else better never live at all.ā€

So, yeah, The Russians!

Laters,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

Well as I mentioned a while ago above, I really like my Kindle Paperwhite.

Although I am not too keen on e-books any longer. Most are way overpriced relative to
used hard copy books. E-books are also not very easy to give to someone after Iā€™ve finished them, so it seems to me that I can never truly own any e-book

Recently I only download e-books from https://standardebooks.org/. Great quality and best of all free! Buying e-books, which you can never truly ā€œownā€, is offensive to me.

Also buying used real books from Thriftbooks.com is substantially cheaper than e-books. I can find good quality used books for $4.99 to $6.99, always much less than the same e-book, and they are very easy to give to someone I think may enjoy them. Free shipping on orders over $15.

I have been reading John Connolyā€™s Charlie Parker series with all real books from Thrift Books.
Dark and disturbingly creepy

3 Likes

Wow! I canā€™t believe it took me this long to find this thread! :exploding_head:

My partner published her first novel this year and Iā€™m very proud of her with all the work that went into it! She wrote the story which is the first of a series of illustrated fantasy novels and did the entire layout alone after teaching herself how to use the publishing software!

Her Father is a 70ā€™s :uk: Prog-Rock musician and visual artist whoā€™s work is rather psychedelic which is a perfect fit for the written work and why he did the illustrations based on her story.

https://wixletree.com/

My extra glow is that after taking only a few months of downtime to recoup from the whole experience she is already writing book #2 and jotting down notes for #3! :heart:

6 Likes

What a great book, one of the very best ever, IMO.
Yes, the Russians produced some of the most amazing books Iā€™ve ever read.
Tolstoy, Dostevesky, Turgenev are among my favorites. To me, the only non-Russians that are as compellingly excellent are Dickens and Balzac.

For anyone that has not read Crime and Punishment, here is a very high quality
FREE e-book, Highly recommended!

2 Likes

I never did get to those but did this one & said f!ck thatā€™s too cold for me :sweat_smile:

And this crazy mofo

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

image To your scattered bodies go.

2 Likes

Just started this and liking it so farā€¦

One before that was

His Life and Fate was brilliant too.

3 Likes

So this thread is just to inform others of books worth checking out. They can be fiction nonfiction instructional whatever. If there is a particular book that wasted your time tell us about it. If there is a book that should be ready tell us why. If there is a book, series, author that just blows you away tell us. People love to read. They love to read good books even more so letā€™s open each otherā€™s minds and expand our horizons.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll start my first Stephen king book was cujo. It was so enthralling at 11 that I read it until the pages fell out. Not sure why I like it so much maybe because it was close enough to real life that it could happen.maybe.

3 Likes

Last child in the woods is a good book that I think should be required reading in school.

2 Likes

Dean Koontz Frankenstein series. Itā€™s a different modern take on Frankenstein. Takes place in New Orleans. 5 book series that is impossible to put down and canā€™t wait to read the next book.

iā€™m not much of a reader but one of the last books i read for enjoyment was Stephen kingā€™s ā€™ the shiningā€™, and i liked it better than the movie version.

1 Like

The book blows the movie away hands down without a doubt. I got to give credit where itā€™s do though they did a really good job on the movie. Especially when you see some of the really bad ones.

2 Likes

Any of James Clavellā€™s Asian saga novels. I suggest they be read in publication order: King Rat (1962), Tai-Pan (1966), Shogun (1975), Noble House (1981), Whirlwind (1986), Gai-Jin (1993), and Escape: The Love Story from Whirlwind (1994). I have not read the last one, but I know itā€™s a novella adapted from Whirlwind.

These are fabulous books! Exciting as shit and beautifully written. The sweep of the six full novels runs from the 1600s in Japan through 1975 in Iran, and all of the books are at least tangentially related. They are awesome reads! They take place in a WWII Japanese POW camp in 1945, Hong Kong in 1841 (itā€™s founding) and in 1963, Japan from the 1600s through 1862 when US Admiral Perry forced Japanā€™s opening to the rest of the world, and Iran in 1979.

King Rat takes place in a Japanese POW camp in Singapore during WWII and is by far the shortest of them all. While I liked it, it lacks the mature style of his later books.

James Clavell was an excellent writer who could really put you in the scene. Did you see Shogun when it aired the first time? That one and only time, there were no subtitles or dubbing, and Japanese was the language spoken primarily. No, unless you actually spoke Japanese, you could only sit and wonder what in the fuck that must have been like! If you saw it, you know how exciting the mini-series was, especially the first showing. (I was living in Los Angeles at the time and I remember you couldnā€™t buy a bottle of sake for love nor money! HA!) As is almost always the case, the book was so much more exciting!

Theyā€™re serious reads, but worth the time and enjoyment!

2 Likes

My favourite book is this green one:

Seriously though I read a book about bananas recently. I think it was called ā€œBananaā€ and it was very interesting from science to blight to political destabilization of democratically elected governments.

It was an enjoyable read.

4 Likes

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a gem

1 Like