OG Website Feature Wish List

Ever since the server update, whenever I try to reply to a post, its inconsistent whether it shows the post I was replying to. Sometimes after the post goes thru it shows which one specifically I was replying to, others it shows up as a general response to the thread.

I never seemed to have that issue before the update. Am I doing sometbing wrong now? It always seemed to work in the past…

2 Likes

What I think is happening, if I reply to the last post it doesnt show who I was replying to. But if its an older post it does show which post I targeted the response to.

2 Likes

That is correct and is the expected behavior.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

1 Like

As someone stated, once some time passes by, you can no more edit or delete your own posts, you lose your copyright and they belong to the site. This might force people living in countries or states where it is illegal to grow not to post them. What’s the reason for this and can it be changed? Thanks … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Editing serves for quick corrections.

The goal of the forum is to gather knowledge. We can learn by reading archived discussions of others. (This is big difference compared to chat).

More members usually cooperates on a topic. If you delete bits of discussion it will become unreadable (and it makes posts of other members incomprehensible).

Another reason: This forum is archived using external online archiving services. If you post here it will become part of the public internet even if you delete it later.

If you just want quick answer to your question without having it archived indefinitely, use our chat.

6 Likes

Is there interest in this feature? We could add this in the near future.

Following user means that you can list latest topic where this user got involved and you are notified about every post / topic they make.

• Following a user sounds good!

0 voters

1 Like

I would like to see search results listed from newest to oldest. Bring back karma!!!

2 Likes

You can do that already. Try to search for a term. Then click options and select Sort by: Latest post.

Likes are our Karma … We don’t need negative Karma :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with that, but the original OG didn’t have a “negative karma” option. One of the things that made that karma system fun was the power of certain (high profile) member’s karma when they’d hit you with it. I know there were limits to how many times they could leave karma in a day, so they had to be selective about who to leave it for, which made even more special. Silly, perhaps - but I liked it.

For the record, I have no issue with the current “likes” system. Hell, perhaps there something going on behind the scenes that puts a quantitative value on likes, such as a point system, and the likes that someone like me gives has a lower point value than the likes given by someone like you, or @beacher or @cannabissequoia, etc., and the accrual of these points are a factor in how we earn our green dots. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

Meh I’m like a likes crackhead, I just kinda hammer it haha. I think if anything my likes should carry less weight 🤷

6 Likes

lol…and I like your likes, @beacher :+1:, no matter how much weight they carry :muscle: :weight_lifting_man:

2 Likes

Well have one more then haha

2 Likes

I noticed that when I login via smartphone (I use Tor Browser on Android), there are two things that repeatedly show up

• A kind of sticky ‘reminder’ within discourse to turn on live notifications which keeps showing up.even within the same session after having denied it
  • A system popup to allow vibrating alerts/notifications (pops up the first time I like something after login and sometimes in between)

I do not want any of these. Ever. Is there a way around this nagging? The first one has a setting in my account details, so I assume there might be a server side configuration to turn off the reminder. The second seems like the same thing on the side of my operating system, which tbh makes me think my ‘no’ to notifications in discourse is ignored anyway. Not sure if it’s a bug, but I’d really appreciate if I could just read my OG and not be bothered with stuff to click ‘no’ to all the time. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are unfortunately a rare case of user with browser which probably doesn’t remember settings you have selected…

Can you please check your Preferences -> Notifications?
EDIT: I see you have probably tried this one…
There is option to turn it off…

But the setting is selective for particular browser :frowning:

Another thing you could try is this one:

Instead of dismissing the pop up, you should be able to click the ‘Enable Notifications’ button, then when your browser prompts you, click ‘Deny’ (or your browsers alternative). Discourse should register this and stop asking you.

If you select Deny, your browser should remember your choice and shouldn’t bug you anymore.

2 Likes

The setting says permission denied. Unfortunately it seems to forget it after the session (cookies get deleted afaik). I’m not sure if I understand the second part correctly, but I think that is how it is setup now, but it has to be done again each session. I’ll try again next time I log in.

Thanks a lot for your blazing fast reply! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Yes, you are correct. The problem is that your browser clears the session and that includes information about Denied access…

2 Likes

If denying via browser helps with the first problem, that would be quite helpful already. I will give it a try next time. Thanks!

1 Like

Is there a mechanism to receive notification when my posts have been edited by others (TL4)? Can I see a list?

I am aware of one instance (I can share in PM) which was not a problem so much as an indication of a potential problem.

3 Likes

I don’t know that notifications can be restricted by the level of the person creating the situation resulting in a notification, but any post that I’m “Watching” notifies me every time someone edits it. I dunno if that helps your situation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes