Security Question: Why is "system" a member of some of my private group chat messages?

I noticed something that is rather concerning while looking at a few private group chat messages. There is now a new mysterious member that has appeared named “System” and they can’t be removed.

@moderators @admins can you please explain who this “member” is and why they are listed there and why it is in some group chats but not others?

6 Likes

Because it’s the literal system lol

I’m not sure of the specifics but it’s everywhere…

1 Like

No it isn’t. It isn’t in other group chats, only an interesting select few. I can share screenshots privately if you wish.

I suggest that other members here go check your private group messages and look to see if “system” is a member of all or some of those. I think you will be unsettlingly surprised at the results.

6 Likes

We’re done spreading FUD now. Here’s a week to think about why a wheel cog System button is some secret user spying on you all…

4 Likes

Weird is on some but not others.

5 Likes

Here is this as far as I know it:
System is an antispam bot used solely to seek and stop bots from posting…

Example being when a user first joins OG and makes their first post and they either copy and paste their whole post or type like a court stenographer, it will suspend that user and send the Leader team a message…

Now the ban was hastey and I’m willing to admit I jumped the gun.

But there has to be some willingness to admit that nothing crazy is happening here.

Why does it always have to come down to @moderators and @TeamOG being some secret society out to screw everyone over?

12 Likes

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but this is the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. You can search a users posts by clicking the magnifying glass and inputting their name.

https://overgrow.com/search?q=@system%20%20order:latest

1 Like

The ‘system’ seems to be on the large (number of members/number of posts) PMs but not the smaller ones.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

They aren’t posts…

2 Likes

Maybe bc weed smokers are paranoid and have spent decades looking over their shoulder and being worried about people listening to phone convos?

Why do mods feel the need to jump the gun when legitimate security questions are asked?

Objectively seems a reasonable question along with an (eventual) reasonable response.

14 Likes

Well you have the response I can give.

I’m not sure about you, But if I was that paranoid I’d be nowhere near this site or any other canna grow site and that would just be common sense…

3 Likes

why are the staff here so touchy about someone asking a simple question about security? If you created a group chat on a site you were a member of and you suddenly saw a member that you did not recognize in it, I think that you would ask questions too, which is what I did.

14 Likes

The spambot seems to be another one, PM’s are private and mods and staff presumely cannot see them unless they’re invited, strange … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

5 Likes

System is THE top tier user, it is a multi use bot that can be user accessed.

4 Likes

Because you immediately tried to make it look like you’re being spied on

6 Likes

Im neither a mod, nor staff, so forgive me if this isn’t directed at me; but toast gave y’all the honest answer and you don’t understand, thats a you problem. Go outside. Read a book. Calmate

7 Likes

and so your first response was to ban me instead of explaining how the system works to dissuade my concerns.

8 Likes

That was exactly my point. Thats why i gave them a link they had to click to search thru, because there’s no answer you could give that would satiate them.

3 Likes

I’m still confused I’m sorry

In one pm I have 20 ish people and none are system and I have one with 30ish that has it. Both are same age. Both have not been closed or had system say anything.

Why is it in one and not the other I don’t really care i’m not paranoid just a stoner who’s curious about why

8 Likes

mind reader eh?

6 Likes