One Papaya seed, 38W LED (19Wx2), Organic Soil

Coming along nicely, but a bit slow… I’m still in the ram that light closer category lol. For example I have a mom under 2x23W CFLs. Often times its touching the bulb when I look at it, and most of the canopy is maybe 2" away. They never burn they love it!

5 Likes

I will second that when I have mine under any CFLs they’re like one inch off the canopy :joy:

4 Likes

Now keeping in mind LEDs aren’t CFLs, but at 19w I’d have that sucker a few inches away for sure.

Another example, my 600HPS is like 12-14" away from some taller buds and they’re loving it there.

3 Likes

Ya it’s cool enough that it pretty much could grow touching the LED. I just don’t know why the manufacturer recommends 16-32” away for vegging? and then even closer for seedlings? I might even call them and ask if that was some sort of error where they had it backwards because conventional wisdom seems to be further away for seedlings and as close as possible for veg and flower.

I’ll try moving it closer just to see what happens.

2 Likes

Man, with my duct tape/zip tie paint can fan anchor, moving everything up one more paint can took some juggling but I managed to not make a mess. lol I’m now 8” away from the LED. the CFL could be closer but it is temporary any way… Let’s see how she likes this…

Also, this is a veg only area. I’ll be finishing my plants outdoors.

5 Likes

5 Likes

You’ll find its an up/down thing…

Seedling: close to reduce node spacing though some just want to stretch nomatter what
Veg: further away for better light spread on an actual plant
Flower: close to build the buds as by budset (~4wks into flower) no more leaves will be made

Of course, a lot of this depends on space, training technique used, strain as many indica’s enjoy the light further away and the leds diodes as some won’t grow cannabis for shit though does real well with many veggies and annuals to get them started to go outside

3 Likes

Looks good, I think you’ll notice quite a difference!

2 Likes

Day 33:

New growth looks like it has yellow spots! will continue to monitor…

I moved it even closer too. 6” away… I thought my soil was all crispy and I watered a bit more. Mighta over watered a bit there as it was only around 48 hrs between… Not sure maybe it needs more now too. Will watch those spots.

EDIT: I’ve got some new seedlings here now and I really want to clean this area up soon.

These new leaves really don’t look healthy and the fan leaf is also showing the same yellow spots.

4 Likes

If the pots heavy you’re probably good. Any roots poking out of the bottom yet?

Once you’ve gotten there watering is much easier…soak -> almost totally dry, and repeat

2 Likes

I’ll check the bottom out next time. thanks.

1 Like

Day 34:

6 Likes

Yeh boi! They’ve put some timber on compared to before ya chopped them lowers. Powering it mate looking gurrrd :+1:

3 Likes

Day 35:

Still seeing these yellow blotches and purple stems. Seems to be growing though… Maybe stressed it out with a little over pruning, over water, and addition of new light and temperature sorta all at once? Trying to do to much perhaps. And, maybe those ~5 tsbps of kelp meal was too much, maybe it is running too acidic without a ph buffer like lime. I think I should improve my soil in the future, possibly that dolomite lime is what it needs more than anything to balance it out.

I think I’ll see how this new growth comes in before attempting to change anything. If the next set of leaves still looks like this then I think there’s a problem.

4 Likes

Now she needs some LITFA and she will be fine bro. Just a bit overwatered let her suck up some of it and she won’t look so sad then :+1:

Not sure on the blotches though :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Most likely, but I would also check for pests on the underside of those leaves.

4 Likes

Day 36:

So just over 5 weeks already. Learning to use LITFA. Also, ready to add dolomite lime to this soil mix next time. After seeing these blotches, changes need to be made. Better transplant timing, more light, higher temp, avoid over watering. Lessons learned.

As this new growth comes in I suppose I’ll decide if pH upping the soil/watering may be necessary to get this thing back on track. It’s still possible that I just stressed my plant out from over watering, pruning, temp and light inconsistency. Or too much kelp meal and/or too acidic. Or pests! I’m pretty sure a few things need to be improved in my gardening.

Let’s not forget that potent bone meal tea I accidentally force upon her early on.

With these seedlings coming in I will wait a solid four weeks before transplanting and make sure the soil mix includes lime and less additives. (i.e.
bone, blood, kelp meal). I plan to just keep them in the regular top soil with perlite and do nothing but water until cotyledons fall off. Then, potentially a worm casting, kelp&blood meal tea for waters afterward until the 4-6 week point of veg when they will be transplanted and eventually moved outdoors in mid-late May.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far. This is such a great forum. Hoping to document (and enjoy) some great results. Aiming for premo outdoor buds here!

7 Likes

Day 37:

Took the lamp away for the seedlings so they wouldn’t stretch. Also got a second FEIT 19W LED on sale at lowe’s for 39.99! so average what I paid and i basically paid regular price about 100 for two (CAD). i know I can spend those dollars “better” on better LEDs but I just like the aesthetic of these two plug-in-ready lights with white cables in my bathroom. I think I will get two little white usb fans to mount in there and have it looking really nice…

5 Likes

She’s taking off now. Do you notice a big difference with the closer light?

Nice score on the second light, $40 is fine and you gotta keep it A E S T H E T I C haha

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with what you like bro everything works to a degree like my first plant I had under 3 standard energy bulbs and I let that puppy veg for 6 months before flipping it because it took it that long to grow to a size I was happy with. She’s growing nicely too by the way good progress :100:

3 Likes