Organic hydro šŸ¤”

Really at its core it boils down to recycling and sustainable agriculture.

Thereā€™s always talk of privatesing the recycling and waste collection industry. In reality it really needs to be the exact opposite.

2 Likes

That way everyone recycles and has an incentive to do so.

2 Likes

Totally agree

1 Like

check out info on ā€œbioponicsā€ or bogoponics its an enclosed or closed loop system like aquaponics and alot of folks encorporate them into the system anyway they are growing and adding stuff to these beds and pretty much turning it into a swamp then growing dwc with a raft it was pretty cool but they were growing lettuce not cannabis soIā€™m not sure

1 Like

Itā€™s possible to do it successfully, but youā€™ll work twice as hard for less weed. 100ā€™s of pages about it on the old icmag forum. No tangible benefit at all unless you just like to tinker with shit.

No need to reinvent the wheel; sterility is your friend in hydroponics.

Aquaponics only makes sense if you also have thousands of gallons of dirty fish piss water to cleanā€¦but I donā€™t know what you do in your spare time lolā€¦

If you feel you must use a biofilter, fill an aquarium canister filter with lava rocks or other biomedia. Also circulates the water and cleans larger particulate. Eheim makes great canister filters.

3 Likes

I have thought about this on more than one occasion and it can be done, itā€™s just a matter of how much time do you want to spend tending to your reservoirs.

As @cadman mentioned aquaponics is exactly that, living fish in the res, poop water pumped up, direct to drain back into the res in a mostly closed-loop - still need to feed your fish.

A variation of this same system would provide what I had coined at the time as ā€œLiving Hydroā€. Having a large fish tank/pond that feeds through a basic filtration system before running out to feed lines. Employing saltwater aquarium systems like living rock/settling filtration like bio-balls, through a protein skimming stage and out directly to the plants would not be impossible. Having a dosing point/system could also allow you to curtail your stock nutrient with liquid ferts up stream of the flood trays.

Nothing is impossible, keep exploring

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s why I run a hybrid style. Itā€™s fully synthetic from the res with certain organic additives straight to the pots and it really comes down to knowing what your adding and how to dial that down in the res to keep things properly balanced.
But what I do wouldnā€™t be possible with a recirculating system. It works for me cause I run drain to waste so I donā€™t have to worry about any of the organic inputs in the pots causing issues once itā€™s circulated back to a res.

1 Like

That seems pretty close to what ive seen b4

I think im gonna experiment with a nutrient tea made from organic nutes and a bio filter to make them accessible before filtering out any chunkys. Not sure how well itll work

1 Like

Iā€™ve loved the idea of aquaponics because A- itā€™s so self sufficient B- I can put sensors all over the place and stare at data all day to remind myself not to fuck with things.

I really do not have lot of interest in fish though. Be eager to see your results.

2 Likes

The only way I see this working honestly is two ways, small or very largeā€¦ small description below; Large meaning a pond full of fish.

The best Biological/Aquaponics to grow anything from would actually be a proper Planted Aquarium, full of fish, plants, inverts ect. Its a almost self sufficient systemā€¦

Typically you need this cycle to happen for aquaponics basically, but you wanna replace fish with Teas & that can workā€¦

Simplest way I can explain this is build a DWC setup and attach it to a DIY bucket filterā€¦ this will be your whole system. Your nutrition will have to come from your tea bags, the microbes will live deep inside the Zeolite thats at the bottom of your bucket filterā€¦

If you donā€™t want fish, you need to ā€œstartā€ your ammonia spike to obtain beneficial bacteria in your bucket/pond/fish tankā€¦

Iā€™ve found placeing a raw shrimp inside the aquarium or biological filter for 3 to 4 weeks is enough to kick start this processā€¦

If you added a cannister/bucket filter with Tea bags and Zeolite media you can achieve what your looking forā€¦ BUT you will need to provide constant nutrition exactly like DWC.

Bucket filter build video.

Iā€™ve toyed around with this same idea myself and after a year of playing, I went traditional DWC for a year. I learned good things happen slow and bad things happen fast & you must always dubble check the nutrients & water pramartersā€¦

In the end I went with Hempy buckets because I got better results with less active time (Passave hydro)

I hope you donā€™t think Iā€™m trying to discurage you, im notā€¦ I really thinks Hydroponics is cool, Iā€™ve even ran my own 4 tier flood/drain vegetable garden in my living room :wink: I hope you find what your looking to accomplish.

Iā€™ll check in now and then brother.

4 Likes

I guess im gonna have to look into hempys :joy:

3 Likes

With your Orginal idea, think DWC attached to Biological filterā€¦ Big tea bag inside filter 247 and some type of media the bacteria can live in, like Zeoliteā€¦

If you choose hempy and teas, Iā€™d suggest a media thatā€™s going to dry out quick; example Pearliteā€¦ You can easily get away with HP Pro (peat based mix) with added Pearlite & feed only your teas, Daily. For me, passave hydro = Feeding nutrition daily, have a wet/dry cycle on the medium daily. When you water in hempies, your drawing air into the roots = Big roots = Big plants.

Hempy buckets = ANY bucket with 1 or 2 holes drilled 1 to 2" from the bottom to act as a Rez, you water with nutrients daily untill 5%/ 10% of your water runs out the hole near the bottom.

1 Like

the system I was referring too didnā€™t use fish emulsions for nutes you could easily add aquaponics into the loop but it wasnā€™t necessary it used basically rotting plant materials that werē added or grown and culled the water was black like a swamp and I would guess stinks too but they were growing on it but not cannabis

1 Like

Yeah the bioponics looks promising i saw it using nutrient instead of composting materials really its all the same if you add the bacteria that converts itā€¦ I bet it reeks to all hell and back lol

1 Like

I actually had an idea for something similar. Not bog ponics as you put it but something like a thick nutrient slurry.:grin:. It would be trying to mimic a soil grow but with the efficiency of hydro. You have the thick slurry with all your nutes and bactos in it, inject co2 into the slurry, and get a heavy duty pump to move that shit and you would be good to go.:grinning:

1 Like

I wonder if you could use plain wheat starch as a thickener for the slurry?

There ya go