People who work outdoors

That’s the problem lol it’s too fucking dry! When you’re rocking like 5% and its scorching outside and your sack literally feels like what scrambled eggs must feel like. It’s a bad day. Sweat just pours out of you haha I’m getting miserable just thinking about it. lol

P.S. its currently 100*F at 14%rh and we’re not even in May… This summer is going to suck.

9 Likes

Forgot to mention this. Yes!
Good call Shag. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I work in an non air-conditioned shop with hot vehicles in a Dickies work pants and a t shirt. Drink every drop of water, electrolytes are your friend. And get yourself a couple rechargable neck fans. I love mine.

9 Likes

I read about a guy who ran out of gas in Death Valley… had a six pack or 2 of beer. A couple of weeks later they found him mummified in his Explorer & his skin looked like a football :football: :neutral_face:

:evergreen_tree:this one time at band camp

2 Likes

This! Light colors, loose fits with open cuffs and necklines, cotton or other natural fibers because they shed a lot of heat as they evaporate and lose all insulation. Synthetics move the moisture but they don’t lose their insulation value so I find they’re not as good. I wear a lot of summer weight or golf khakis and chinos in lighter tones and white cotton dress shirts all summer, all from the thrift store basically new for $5-10 apiece. Definitely also yea cover your head, face, and neck with a hat that’s as broad brimmed and high-SPF as you can get, while also being vented. I like the mesh neck curtains a lot but anything works. A light colored bandanna is the classic one under a boonie style hat.

Lots of water and lots of electrolytes, also more calories than you think you need. Your appetite will be fucked but you gotta make yourself eat, I usually want either dense small rich things that won’t fill me up, or lots and lots of cool watery food like fruit and cheese, cold rice, lots of stuff.

Great advice too, wet cold towels on the ears and neck are the fastest way to cool down while still working. Those absorbent bead filled neckerchiefs are pretty legit, or just use a white dish towel and keep wetting it with cold water from a thermos every time you take a drink. When I worked in a 110F bakery we’d each keep a bucket of ice water on the oven line and just take the towel off our necks every 5-10 minutes, dip and wring it out and put it back on. Works a charm! Ice vests and kidney belts are also really effective but not for long, a good way to get through the worst hour or two of the day.

Heres a few of my favorite things I’d endorse for comfort and safety working in the heat and sun all day:
My favorite electrolytes, pretty cheap in the 32 pack on their site or I stock up at the pharmacy when they’re on sale or I have coupons:

A lot of people like the extended brimmed baseball cap with integrated sun cape:

https://www.rei.com/product/191025/ctr-summit-sahara-cap

Or a çivilian boonie, the fishermans bucket hat:
https://www.rei.com/product/224195/goldcoast-cast-hat

I personally prefer a big fedora style or oversized boonie hat, REI is good at making clones of more expensive versions, this first is basically a Tilley Airflo, which are wildly popular with hikers and rangers in hot places, they’re nice and stylish but also $100, this does the job:

https://www.rei.com/product/188552/rei-co-op-sahara-path-hat

https://www.rei.com/product/204595/rei-co-op-sahara-paddler-hat

https://www.rei.com/product/217613/rei-co-op-vented-trailsmith-hat

Since you’re in Texas you could probably wear this with a straight face:

https://www.rei.com/product/232647/scala-grand-canyon-mesh-covered-hat

And heck this one’s as old as it gets and still works great, paddlers still love this goofy one, I used to have one and honestly I might get another:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/b/kavu-chillba-hat-kav0019

3 Likes

Seems like all the basics are covered.
I’ll add bring a clean sweat towel or two, and a clean shirt for the ride home. If you don’t already bring an extra pair of socks you should do that, cold or hot. Don’t leave anything in the vehicle once you get home or it’ll quickly smell like a gym locker.
Cooler, ice, grapes, lots of water and Gatorade’s. Clean your sweat towels daily.

Don’t be a hero. Take breaks and avoid the fiery ball of death any chance you get.

3 Likes

Crucial advice! And absolutely under no circumstances forget to remove your wet sweaty work clothes from the bag they were in ASAP, gym bags with the mesh end compartment are great. I used to bring home my bakery clothes tied up in a plastic bag every day until I forgot to open them up one too many times, the smell is unforgettable

Yeah dude, heroes die out there. Everyone has their moment of feeling invincible out in the sun once you get used to it and prepared with the right stuff, but that’s exactly when you get heat stroke because you start thinking those things are substitutes for a break and real cooling instead of coping mechanisms to stay alive every day.

2 Likes

I work outside, but I’m my own boss, so I avoid the hotest part of the days. Get up early and take a break mid day, then do some more evening work. Also, a few years ago I found sun hoodies.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-akhg-u.p.-stream-hoodie-90752.html?&srccode=GBSHPMN&ogmap=PLA|BRN|GOOG||||||||21118167823|159619202786&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlZixBhCoARIsAIC745AkdlhSe38SZmsycAtWppRfVJK_YcCP5iBVghzKkand4UAbKVixlwwaAtzOEALw_wcB

Best things ever!

5 Likes

Having worked outside my whole career in places like Tucson Az, Dallas Tx, and many hot places here is my advice:
Loose clothing, nothing tight knit. Long sleeves and pants (no shorts or t-shirts).
A large water cooler filled with ice water and Gatorade (they sell little concentrated Gatorade that you can mix yourself). Drink a lot of water by drinking frequently but not a lot at one time.
Take short breaks, don’t over do it. If you ever start feeling dizzy you are in danger stop immediately and call it a day.
You will eventually tolerate the heat but it is never pleasant to work hard in 100+ heat.

12 Likes

I’ve always been a person who carries an umbrella for the sun but a few years ago I picked up one of these after seeing the woman who runs my city’s parking enforcement department using it. She’s the boss now in her 50s but she’s been out in those big parking lots all summer since I was growing up here twenty years ago, she switched their uniforms to white polos and other much better hot weather gear and she uses this on the hottest days since she doesn’t seem to like hats. It’s incredible how much cooler I get under something that bounces the infrared and also has 100% UV protection, still works perfectly great as a normal umbrella. So small and light you can put it in a bag or its sling across your back and forget about it until you need some shade RIGHT NOW, and the design is simple and nearly indestructible. Best umbrella I’ve ever had out of dozens:

Under nine ounces! It’s crazy for a 45" canopy:

And the last head covering I’ll post is this one, which is the style I see the farm workers wearing in the fields along with Old Navy sun hooded of the sort @Rhino_buddy recommended

Like @Oldjoints said, get a really big insulated water jug and fill it with ice water every morning. If you’re working out of a vehicle you can get a 5 gallon one like sports teams use and refill a carry bottle also share with your coworkers and rinse off/cool down at the end of the day as you shed work clothes. If you’re on the move, lug a 1/2 gallon or larger drinking jug or get a 3-4L hydration system like a Camelbak, the US military surplus ones are excellent and come with an insulated sleeve that has MOLLE attachments to put it onto a load bearing vest so you can attach it however. Hydration system full of ice is nice because it cools your back or kidneys some like a vest.

Dead stock unissued surplus:

Way cheaper than a Hydroflask:

We all know this one, think about how good it would feel to dump it over your own head in the parking lot, also, it’s a chair and I’ve even seen them with a Bucket Boss organizer grafted onto the outside.

6 Likes

That sun hat is something I’ve been searching for. I haven’t been able to find “the one”. That might be it. Thanks for the link @Dirt_Wizard . :pray:t3:🫶🏼

3 Likes

Increase your uptake of fiber by having cereal like shredded wheat or Wheaties in the evenings. Having a bit of fiber and some milk fat inside helps you retain water. Also when drinking amounts of water and Gatorade, I recommend Lemonade or citric acids such as balsamic vinegar or pickles/ pickle juice the night before.

5 Likes

Another thing you may want to consider is salt pills, if you are drinking a lot of electrolytes though they are not needed.

5 Likes

A lot of great advice from hard working folks in this thread, hats off to all of you.
Or should I say hats on…LOL

2 Likes

Happy to help duds! Everyone has their particular favorite, I’m happy today because in searching around for these links I found one of mine. I got one of these from a sidewalk hat vendor in the Financial District of Manhattan about ten years ago for $10 and as stupid as it is (women hate it universally!) I still reach for that one when it’s the hottest here without a cloud in the sky mid-July:

Still $10!

4 Likes

I’ll second that you can get ahead of the game the night before by drinking salty probiotics and water and loading up your water retention for the morning. Fiber is an important prebiotic
all three kinds are good, soluble, resistant, and insoluble. Rehydration also continues until you go to sleep, so if it’s an every day work thing, you’re in a nonstop daily cycle all week of stress the body and recover, wash rinse repeat.

I also find live fermentations help with the gut issues from heat and drinking two gallons of water a day, my favorites are sauerkraut juice, raw drinking vinegars either straight sipped or in a homemade soda, and kimchi. Drinking yogurt is easier than eating it when it’s hot, I like kefir or Indian raitas, Turkish ayran (it’s very salty!) that sort of stuff. Miso and pickles and anything lactofermented, koji cultured products, and unfiltered yeasty stuff is all great. If you drink, try a nice hazy craft brew with yeast in the bottom, or if not then nutritional yeast is tasty too.

4 Likes

One more idea: if you get a lunch break where you can leave the job, get a cheap gym membership whether Planet Fitness. Crunch, the YMCA, whatever. If you have a rough morning where it’s hot early or you were up late etc, you can zip over and take a five minute cool shower and feel like a new man while drinking water on the way and eating a sandwich on the way back with a relaxed body and settled gut that won’t reject food.

When I was a bike messenger and it was ultra hot in the urban heat oasis of Manhattan I would fill a 1L Nalgene with water at the fountains in parks a few times and slowly pour it over each limb, one bottle for each limb and one over my head. The amount of heat that 5L of cool water can suck out of you in a few minutes is unbelievable

3 Likes

I wanted to reinforce the beef tallow and skate liver oil for sunburns again, because I don’t know how many people just buy the fake blue jelly aloe type stuff, and think that’s all you got to choose from.

99% aloe, followed by a balm with tallow and fish oil. They’re out there, don’t skimp. Your skin keeps cooking long after the burn.

@Dirt_Wizard is this anything that might be in your realm of wizdom?

2 Likes

@Habitt gonna look like Lawrence of Arabia doing beekeeping like Mary Poppins :open_umbrella::dromedary_camel:

:evergreen_tree::joy:

3 Likes

'otsa water id say from my experience working rebar in 40deg celcius days in a hole no wind hot bars on the shoulders trapped in a radiant heat cage drink lots lots lots of water stay hydrated i never had issue and id work like a bulldozer hauling rebsr in this setup

3 Likes