Ph. Can you use vinegar to lower ph?

I saw a rather old video from around 15 years ago. It had informed me that you can use vinegar to lower ph. It did in fact lower my ph drastically. My question is has anyone ever tired it? My ph is threw the roof.

2 Likes

Works yeah. Use good vinegar. Not white. Get an ro filter

3 Likes

Once again thanks @lotus710. What vinegar would be best? I’m not a big fan of the stuff. But what’s an RO filter?

2 Likes

Organic brown rice or apple cidar

And ro is reverse osmosis

2 Likes

Brown Rice, Vinegar, Pine needles + other acidic organic materials will help lower PH in small amounts, However if you need larger adjustments use food grade phosphoric acid. We adjust 250 gallons of 8.0 water down to 6.0 using 6 ounces.

3 Likes

I have used vinegar for PH adjustment for a long time, works well, no problems.
I use a soil-less mix only.

Lemon Juice works and smells a lot better.

4 Likes

Isn’t lemon acid too weak and pH change only temporary?

3 Likes

it’s only temporary yes, but it’s not weak, I think you only need 1 tblsp per gallon of water. the last time I bought a bottle of this - Earth Juice ph down - it was pure citric acid crystals - I believe it’s dehydrated lemon juice:

For a more substantial fix - permanent - I’ve had good luck with Espoma Soil Acidifier, another organic product, both top-dressing and blending into soil mix.
https://www.espoma.com/product/soil-acidifier/

3 Likes

Thanks to you all. I’ve got some apple cider vinegar I’m going to use. I’ll give feedback. and pics. Probably within a week. I’ve been using tap water from the start without issue. But I’ve been on 12/12 for 5 days then noticed some Browning and curling of the new sets coming in. I’m pretty sure after research I think it’s Boron Deficiency. I’m using CFLs so I know it’s light burn. And there is plenty of space and good air flow. I’m growing in a space bucket. I got a space bucket blog on here.

2 Likes

Yes you can. Vinegar will work diluted in water.

Vinegar is a product of lactic fermentation, you could make your own but dilute to reach proper PH. EM1, is lactic, or use the various lactic formulations used in cannabis, LABS… etc… .

5 Likes

Is this Boron. She only has it in two sets and then the rest seems to be fine at the moment. My ph was off the charts out of the tap but after 24 hours it dropped considerably. I used about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar on a gallon. Hopefully the problem stops there. Thanks peeps

2 Likes

Even if it is boron deficiency, the way you’d fix boron deficiency is probably getting your pH in order :grin: I honestly couldn’t tell you what you’d supplement with to give a boron boost.

Anyway, keep us updated. Also, nice plant other than those fan leaves (… but still look better than what I’ve got in veg :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Vinegar sucks in maintaining PH. Its potency dissipates while leaving behind its stink. Get phosphoric or sulfuric acid

3 Likes

I make my own PH down using sulfuric acid. (battery acid) I use 1 gallon of distilled water. Empty out 2 cups of distilled water, put 1 cup sulfuric acid into the distilled water, let sit for a few minutes and then put the lid on bottle and shake to mix. I’ve read that you should mix the sulfuric acid into the water, and DO NOT mix the water into the acid. I guess if you put the water into the acid it can cause an explosion?? And that’s it, you have a gallon of PH down for cheap. Sulfuric acid helps in the smells department. I have been using this since I started growing and use it every single watering. My PH is 8.3 from my res so I use a good amount of it daily. My plants are always stinky and really do think the sulfuric acid contributes to the smells. This is just how I do it, not wrong or right, just another way to skin the ol cat. Cheers! This buds for you!
Grows Dope

3 Likes

Thanks for you’re help, but 8.3 is truly super high. I get my water from a big city and it comes out at about 7over. . I let it sit for 24hrs. And it becomes a high 6. If I’m not mistaken but for this particular plant, (from allot of reading, and opinions going back and forth) It mostly calls for a 6.7 to a 6.2. But if it works for you that’s awesome. I’ll definitely have to try out a control experiment, if I ever have the luxury growing more than one plant. Yea the battery acid thing, don’t make me so comfortable. If I was confident around chemicals I would have whipped up a batch of acid decade’s ago. Shrooms I’ve grown. That’s extremely hood advice to keep water out of the acid, and put the acid in the water. I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt.
Every thing seems to be fine now tho. Now burn. And I’ve had pistols for the past 4 days.

I loved you post @GenetixNursery. All this time I have been wonder if I should share. I have tape water 7.5-8 and the up down chemicals are very expensive. I new from a pool guy baking soda was what he used but forgot what to lower. Than I accidently fond Pine needles to a GREAT job. I live in the middle of pines, let the pool go and when I went to clean it had the lowest ph ever.

1 Like

I use lemon juice to lower ph , baking soda to bring it up. when I did e&f I lowered my ph.to 5.5-5.7 when I fed & let the ph.creep up to 6.5 (usually took 3-4 days) different things are more readily absorbed by the plant at different ph. levels my thought here was to cover more bases I’m doing drain to waste now in tupur (coco based media) & still use lemon juice from the dollar store but in dwc I prefer the acid based ph. down

1 Like