Ph meter going crazy

Hey guys my ph meter is not giving normal readings and I need to feed what should I do??

3 Likes

Two options -

1 - buy new pH meter.
2 - wing it.

I know that to get my water about right is 15ml fertilizer and 1/2ml ph down per gallon.

For me, this works without a pH meter. I still usually check though.

But you need a baseline first.

All the best.

6 Likes

I think I’m gunna have to order next day delivery one an I don’t get why it’s broke already lol only used it about 10 ten times lol and might just wing it for now hahahah thanks bro

1 Like

I found some ph buffer in the meter box can that sort it???

2 Likes

Yeah always good to know how much ph down or up you use per gallon at a time.

Does the probe itself look clean? Sometimes they get build up on them. Have to be super careful trying to clean them but its possible. Always keep calibration fluid on hand too.

5 Likes

Thanks mate :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I have a Hanna meter and mine was drifting and getting steady readings. I had to get a new replacement probe.
They key is to clean them regularly and always put back in storage solution.

4 Likes

Whats the storage solution??

2 Likes

You can always try calibrating it again, just pick up a calibration kit from your local hydro store or online. That’s assuming your stick can be calibrated.

2 Likes

Hahaha too late mate I opened it up an it was wet Inside so I just broke it :joy: but thanks appreciate the advice

1 Like

Well your stuff is jacked up. For a cheap digital meter i recommend the one I use. Dr. Meter on amazon. It comes with the calibration mixes and all that. Ive been using mine for almost a year with no issues and rarely having to recalibrate. Also grab some ph tester drops as a back up id say. The main thing is to make sure when or if you get a new one to keep the sponge in the cap moist so it keeps your probe wet. If you dont your shit is done my friend

3 Likes

Just use the pH drops. Cheap, easy, zero moving parts, no calibration, no batteries.

I’m a big evangelist for these. The only advantage the electronic meters have, in my opinion, is that they are more precise when properly calibrated. When uncalibrated, they are wildly inaccurate.

Vernal’s Handy Color Chart:
Piss yellow for hydro (~5.8)
Ever-so-slightly greenish piss yellow for soilless (~6.2)
Greenish-yellow for soil (~6.8)

If plants are light lime green and clawing, especially near growth tips, pH is too low.
If plants are dark green, brittle leaved, with brown pinholes in the leaves, pH is too high.

I almost never check pH anymore.

9 Likes

Nice one mate

1 Like

Appreciate it mate

Ah man I’d love that, but I’m so colorblind.

4 Likes

I love the meter and I have color blindness so the drops are tough for me to read the charts. I mean i can get close because essentially the colors will still somewhat match up from water to chart but it is really tough for me. Other than that i agree with @vernal the drops are cheap with no upkeep and of course the biggest tool listening to your plants. Good luck bud

3 Likes

Dang I hadn’t even considered that possibility. Green is the most common form of it too right?

3 Likes

Yeah, red/green. Makes those pH testing strips a real bitch.

3 Likes

See im colorblind too thats why I always vouche for both because you never know. The blindness I have is mixing up greens with browns and some shades of brown with red so the drops can be troublesome for a ol boy

1 Like

It is what the bulb needs to keep wet and maintained.
Hanna Storage Solution

4 Likes