Post harvest care question

So I have just gone thru and cut my plant down and 48hrs of darkness and nutes depleted. Its has been hanging 5 days at this point, but no snapping from branches, just bending still.

When I get the “snap” throughout the majority of the plant, I know it’s time to trim and jar. My 1st grow. I got the nasty green hay smell and it didnt go away. I got rid of the smell 2nd grow by drying a little longer i think.

What do you generally do at this point to get maximum quality from cure?

7 Likes

Slow dry, fast dry will cause the green taste because chlorophyll gets locked in. Dehumidifier at 60% with exhaust fan on cycle stat if its a big fan or it will also dry out to fast. I usually if i have time do a fresh trim and allow buds to dry on racks or screens, helps save some trichomes also this way

3 Likes

There’s currently a discussion in another thread about this, might wanna pop your head in and check it out: Preserving terps in cure

7 Likes

@Outlaw excellent idea about exhaust fan on cycle… I pulled the light out of the tent to use the tent to dry. With the light gone, I can use the mechanical timer the light was plugged into to cycle the exhaust fan for drying. Unfortunately, I have no climate control in there right now, its about 55%RH and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. About where do you aim?

1 Like

Keep in mind that the wet plant material will raise the humidity of your drying area.

Starting at 55% you might get up to 65% in a small sealed room just from water weight.

It’s sort of what I do. The trick is to catch it when your buds are at around 60%

I don’t exhaust anything, just a small circulation fan.

All the best.

4 Likes

Copy that my friend. @Foreigner
The rh in the room today (6days into drying) was 57, time to jar?

1 Like

Your timing sounds about right.

Do they feel ready? Do they feel wet? Spongy? Crisp? Dry? If they feel dry they probably are. Some of the smaller branches may snap but the bigger ones remain bendy. This is a good sign.

If I’m unsure I take some branches and place them in a very big ziplock bag. Pop in a humidity sensor and wait awhile. If the humidity stays stable you are good to go.

All the best.

Edit - I keep humidity sensors in all my jars, always. Information is power.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m going to have to side with @Foreigner on all this. The only thing I did different was I hang dried with no exhaust for 3 days with just a fan blowing around but not directly on the buds…then I fired up my exhaust for 2 more days then I trimmed and bottled for burping. I’ve also been seeing g a lot of people on here actually talking about the brown paper bag method. I will be trying it out this next round

2 Likes

@Foreigner I swear I meet some of the brightest people on here. Very useful info and also very ingenious way of testing for spikes or drops in RH in a bag.

2 Likes

Agreed, will be tryin paper bag next round. I live in an apt complex so I cant let any smell escape. Even with carbon filter, it can get loud in here quickly Haha.

2 Likes

Yeah I already know. Everyone swears by the paper bag method so what the hell I’ll give it a shot. I think it is especially better for people that cant knock their temperature down as low as they would like. Which in texas I mean come on lol

1 Like

I’m in OK so I hear ya about the weather lol @Joboo no negative results so far

1 Like