Potnanny automation

Hey gang.
I’m just starting this thread as a placeholder, for the software I’ll be releasing soon.

I mentioned it briefly, and added a couple screenshots, over in this thread

But there will be much more coming soon :+1:

11 Likes

Awesome! I was highly intrigued by your software etc. was talking with my mentor about it the other day tbh, great news!

1 Like

Very interesting. I will be watching along

1 Like

Nice! Thanks, I’m glad there’s some interest already. I think it’s gonna open up a lot of cool possibilities for our community, and beyond.

:sunglasses::green_heart:

Here’s some of the Bluetooth devices my software currently works with (this list will grow as I find more suitable devices to write the code for)

Hygrometers:

Bluetooth Power outlets:

Bluetooth Soil Sensors:

5 Likes

Cannot wait! :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

This is cool! I wanna see what’s going on. I have a couple of pi’s laying around.

1 Like

Cooler than liquid nitrogen @firehead!

Sign me up if you need a tester/customer!

-Grouchy

2 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan I am putting you at the top of the tester list, my friend!! :+1:

2 Likes

A couple blockhead bx plants went into flower last week (plus one Lemon Jeffery x ?mystery in the back left)
Looking like 2 females and 2 males.

So… maybe I’m doing an unplanned seed run?

Maybe not. Maybe I’ll just take some clones of the males and use them later…

5 Likes

I got my Raspberry Pis out the other day to try and sort out some tent automation. I’m going to do check out your work! Looks awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

All,

Potnanny is ready for BETA testing. So, If you already have a raspberry pi (model 3B+, 4, or Zero W, Zero W2) and want to try it out (see post above, which contains links to compatible hardware devices - like hygrometers and outlets)

I recommend a clean install of Raspbian OS Bullseye (bullseye contains the required Python 3.9)

The installer for the project can be found here: https://github.com/potnanny/installer

And the README file contains instructions how to do the install.

More Info:

3 Likes

The blockhead bx females are just finishing week 4 of flower. Nice smells. A little grape/blueberry with a bit of black pepper. In the last 3 days they started packing on some serious trichomes.

Also, the slightly sickly looking Lemon Jeffery in the back smells surprisingly awesome! More like Lime and sweet tarts. Last time I grew this one I was not real impressed. This one smells delicious!

3 Likes

In terms of the automation, there’s not much for the system to do. The ventilation outlet stays on 24x7 it seems, and while the lights are on, the VPD stays around 1.0-1.2 which is pretty good.
At night when the lights are out, the humidity goes much higher.

Until humidity in the northeast starts going down, it’s just set it and forget it and hope for the best.

3 Likes

Potnanny update (Uber nerd alert, ahead)

Recent updates to the SQLalchemy ORM have serious performance problems. Raspberry Pi Zero W kept crashing. CPU was maxing out frequently, and memory usage way too high.

And the web interface got all messed up because some db queries we’re taking 8-10 SECONDS to complete (should be less than 1/2 second)

So, I dumped SQLAlchemy… and I’m rewriting the whole DB code with Python PeeWee ORM now.

Initial tests show this ORM is much quicker. Uses 60% less memory, and CPU never goes above 35%

All good stuff, but this set me back by at least 2 weeks :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Ok gang.
If you have a raspberry pi, and want to test the software. The basic beta version (v0.4.9) is now working.

See the installer instructions here:

The list of supported Bluetooth devices can be found in posts above, or here:

And, if you want to deep-dive into the application, you can get the code and details here:

An official website, and how-to videos will be on the way very soon

3 Likes

Awesome stuff. Going to mess with this. :beers:

1 Like

Cool. If you run into any problems or questions, shoot me a PM and I’ll help get it straightened out. It’s designed to be pretty straightforward… but i learned a long time ago. What seems straightforward to the software developer, does not always translate to the end-user

3 Likes