Mycodo DIY Automation

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I’m entirely code-illiterate and merely a bit tech-savvy, learning as i go a long (but mainly copying and pasting other’s code). Thankfully i stumbled upon a great piece of open-source software named Mycodo that takes care of the software side, allowing me to focus on the hardware. I’m confident there’s more OGers using this fabolous piece of software!
I have so much going on currently, but once time and money allow it, i will convert my 3rd tent and want to document the build step-by-step to share!

15 Likes

Welcome to OG! New OG’er here myself… I’ll have to check out Mycodo… I have automated a ton of stuff using Home Assistant on a Pi, using ESP32 boards and wifi cams / switches… Always something newer and better out there :wink: lol

6 Likes

Very cool! I guess Mycodo and Home Assistant do have a few parallels but started out with very different goals.
While you’re checking out the project’s github, you should take a look at the developer’s video on building an automated nft system, in the second half you get to see the software:

Also feel free to join the developer’s discord as he’s a really cool guy and I’m sure he can answer many questions I wouldn’t be able to: https://discord.gg/kmDNky4ZHZ

10 Likes

Hi @BarrieButsers, not sure whether I already did it, let’s do it anyways, welcome to OG! The place to be!! Enjoy!

4 Likes

A second warm welcome never hurts! Thanks @Abbbian :wink:

5 Likes

I would love to set up something like this but don’t do electronics

1 Like

You can think of this as kind of an electronic erector set. The electronics aren’t really that difficult, and with tutorials and explanations out there, its kinda crazy what you can do with a raspberry pi, or arduino or ESP32 boards. I’m SO not an electronics guy but I am good with a PC, this wasn’t hard to learn / figure out. And didn’t cost much to start (the more advanced things like what he used probes to measure, that costs a bit more $$).

I looked at BarrieButsers link, and there are a TON of similarities between my implementation of Home Assistant and Mycodo, I gotta think it wouldn’t be too hard to learn. Both seem to be geared towards the user doing an absolute minimum of coding, and lots of cut n paste. Aka, most newbies can figure it out.

I guess the best way is to start asking questions here LOL. I have my HA installation in place but I will play with this on another Pi and see if I can come up with some questions…

3 Likes

As my eyes glaze over :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Cool stuff bro ill likely play around with automation when I get my strains dialed in. I also have a raspbery pi but im better with the software side of things lol. It’s currently being used as a emulator for all the old gaming consoles i grew up playing.

going to be watching this one for sure!

2 Likes

honestly. its not that bad :smiley: 2 1/2 years ago I had no clue what any of them were. Started using a Raspberry Pi for my 3D printer, and wow, what a versatile little single board computer! Only found out about arduino and ESP32 in the last 6-8 months myself, so its not like I went to school for this stuff LOL. PLUS! Now you have this thread as a reference as we appear to have a few users familiar with it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Ginger_Rick was using this a while ago, if he ever gets back to this dimension maybe he could add some to the discussion. He left blueprints to his UFO here:

4 Likes

LOL that’s almost my story, diving into the realm head over heals and learning as i go along. The only difference is that i didn’t get introduced to the raspberry through 3D printing.
I got my first Raspberry after researching for a cheap alternative to the pricey climate controllers at the grow shop. They dont offer a fraction of the features and you dont get to learn a bit about unix operating systems for free ;).
1 year later I still don’t know how to code but my copy-pasting skills have reached new heights, i’ve designed my own circuit boards, learned a bit about electrics and electronics and I’ve soldered for the first time in my life. :grimacing:
I can only agree with you, anyone who is capable of using google search shouldn’t be intimidated by the idea of getting a raspberry and a relay working, the information and tools are all out there, precooked and easily digestible for us beginners.

9 Likes

Hey guys!

I will start a project based on that from Kyle Gabriel: https://youtu.be/nyqykZK2Ev4

I’m a software enginner currently located in Brazil and i’m looking for some partner to help me import some pieces to construct the system and i offer my knowledge and services for free to our fellows here (possibly i will create a tutorial, teaching how to install, config and improve the myCodo or similar)

About the importation, i will take care of all costs. i just want someone from USA or CA to send like “GIFT”, because until $500 i dont need pay the tax for the Gov (its something like 100%/150%
of the price of the product)

here he show the parts list, but some pieces isnt available on amazon… they already on a new version, and almost everything on the list i dont found in Brazil, or when found it, the price isnt attractive.

anyone have interest to create our OG OPEN SOURCE AUTOMATED HYDRO SYSTEM :stuck_out_tongue: ?

6 Likes

I’ve known about Mycodo for years. Is anyone running this?

3 Likes

Yeah, have been running several instances of Mycodo for a bit over 2 years now and it serves me very well.

2 Likes

We ended up choosing to develop ours from scratch in the end… we are on beta-test… if someone wants to take a look :slight_smile:
https://deepgarden.ai/ (the website has a lot of bugs and no-direction links… don’t worry… we’re still focused on the solution first, but i think it is already being bit informative)
:peace_symbol: :heart:

1 Like

How well versed in that type of stuff (electronics, microcontrollers, coding, etc.) were you when you got started with it?
Do you think the (amazing) write up on kyle’s webpage would be enough for people to get it working?
I’ve been looking at/lusting for the atlas scientific probes for years, but they’re expensive. I assume there are maybe one or two other options/brands (ph, ec, do, etc.), that’ll work? I can’t remember.
Can other “functions” be added, like something for moisture sensing or subtrate ec sensors and stuff? I imagine that’d be a whole lot of work or just not really possible.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh I forgot you gave a small bit of “background” a couple posts back.
Did you consider Home Assistant, as well as Mycodo?

Look cool, man.

1 Like

Had absolutely no clue what I was doing, and most of the time I still don’t :smiley:

Kyle’s write up is a good starting point and is what got me looking into Mycodo, however I believe it’s a demonstration of whats possible rather than what is needed and might be overwhelming for a beginner.
Personally I run coco drain to waste and i regulate my pH by hand as the pH is stable for several days. I’d like to include some pH probes in my setup but for my personal application the costs outweigh any comfort gained. I know that Mycodo supports alternatives to the Atlas circuits out of the box and there are also generic analog ones that can be made to work. You should check out Kyle’s forum or Discord.

With a little bit of python knowledge you can easily incorporate new sensors into the system. Regarding currently supported sensors, here’s an overview however i dont know how up to date it is: Inputs - Mycodo . Lastly, sensors that output an analog signal can always be read by Mycodo.

Briefly, however I decided to go with Mycodo after reading the write up and seeing it was actively maintained since it is more purpose built.

2 Likes

Thanks man. I’m thinking about it.

1 Like