Pruning autoflower plants

Can autoflowering plants be pruned? This is my first grow with autoflower plants. I have a lemon og haze I want to grow outdoors but I want to keep the height. I want to pinch them but don’t know if I can. I read that you shouldn’t prune autoflower plants. Any help or ideas would be grateful. Thank you all for your time and help.

4 Likes

In general you do not want to stress an autoflower plant. Autos do not flower based on hours of darkness like photoperiod plants do. The will only veg for so long before they start flowering on their own. If they get stressed and stop growing for a day or two it really effects yields.

Most varieties don’t stretch a whole lot once they start flowering either. If you are running out of height, you can do some low stress training and gently tie down.

10 Likes

Thank you for the input. That was what I was thinking. Because the veg time is so short on auto’ s. What about cloning? It seems to me the same problem exists. The veg time being so short would they have time to root.

2 Likes

They will root, but still flower on the same timeline as the mother from what I’ve read. I’ve also read cold temperatures can keep them in veg. Never tried either myself.

3 Likes

i’ll back up ReikoX , you can prune supercrop lst or whatever, but the best is to do as little as possible due to that limited time span.

But do what you need to.

4 Likes

Thank you for the info. It just confirms what I was thinking. The veg time is just to short do anything but least stress training on them. I will post pics once they go in pots. I have one in a peat pot now with four others in a paper towel to sprout. If all five pop I will put one under the lights to watch it grow. Like I said before this is the first auto I have worked with. I like to grow one under lights just to watch it grow. You can learn a lot from just watching. Thank you all for your responses.

1 Like

imo taking a couple leaves off every other day or something won’t really stress them out, at least it doesnt seem to slow down the photos ive grown

2 Likes

I was just searching to see if this had been asked. I have a single auto I dropped with the last testers for Swamp. I have been working to kept these healthy (sprayed 4X 3 days apart.) Saw the little 8" auto had a flower going on. Today she had jumped 2" and was poking thru the shelf and it made me wonder if she could be trained. :slight_smile:

Good info as always here.

1 Like

I have been watching an auto grower on YouTube and he trains and prunes the he’ll out of his. Tops the 3rd and mainlines them. Will try after I get a few grows under my belt.

6 Likes

@ReikoX have you made anymore strides with trying to clone in the cold or have you been too busy with everything else? If you have any links on this being done I would like to read through the research.

My thinking is to try to take clones for collecting pollen and making seeds. Just want to experiment a little I guess. I have a chest freezer (used for beer fermentation) that I can grow out of and super control everything. I was thinking it would be easier to maintain the cold temp for the clones if that is what they need.

Thanks for all of you help…

3 Likes

No I haven’t tried this, too many irons in the fire.

4 Likes

Semo auto is my take on the auto’s from Memphisto

They should be hot so get to branding.

Yes you can prune autos, but it affects yields big time! Like @ReikoX said if anything try training them. I would take a piece of twine. Tie it at the top of the plant and stake it down.