Pulse Pro ppfd readings - an observation

Recently set one of these up in my tent and have been playing with it for a week or so. It wasn’t something I needed but I was primarily driven by the desire to be able to obtain some decent light intensity readings. Up until now I had been using the Photone app on apple devices (phone and pad always gave consistent readings)

So, after a week of Pulse Pro readings, here’s what I’ve found. The ppfd readings on the Pulse are generally within 10 points of the Photone app.

I don’t know if that means they are both semi-accurate or if that means they both semi-suck. I only know I haven’t learned much, other than if I really wanted a light meter I should’ve just bought an Apogee. My human nature wanted the Pulse to give me a different #, because it cost so much more it has to be better …

The Pulse obviously does a lot more than ppfd readings, so I’m not disappointed in the whole purchase, but this a bit of a bummer. Anybody else with experience here?

6 Likes

That is a very interesting research you have done. Does give you something to think about because of cost and comparison to what you might already have access to for free. Great article👏

1 Like

Buyers remorse sucks. I don’t own a pulse pro but my thinking would be that since it has so much stuff built into it that it is not necessarily going to excel at any of them. That’s just my uneducated guess though. I’m guessing it’s still a good product though, with the alerts, logging data logging, vpd etc.

I bought an apogee MQ-500 awhile ago and now they came out with those epar sensors that make mine feel inadequate now haha. They now measure 400-750 from 400-700.

3 Likes

The Pulse Pro is probably closer to absolute than the phone app.
The phone apps can go only so far, physically they need a cosine corrector lens (looks like a white dome) in order to collect the photons coming in on angles.
But as @Jetdro pointed out a couple weeks back “it’s all relative”.
Meaning that whatever your numbers are, they are your base line and you can work from there. :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Are you using a diffuser on your phone?

I’ve been using this app with #22 98 bright paper after seeing someone review several high dollar meters against this app with different papers for diffusers. 22# 98 bright paper diffuser with the Photone app was right there with the good meters.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/W0S-v7urUlk

Edit: also that paper was a pita to find and I used about a 1/4” strip of one piece…. I’ll send some if anyone wants it.

4 Likes

I had seen a write up on RIU that was talking about that white paper theory.

Agree absolutely, and that’s how I’ve been using the phone app. “x” number works, so shoot for that number and don’t worry so much about what “x’ number really represents. It’s the consistency that’s important.

For some reason, I have an irrational desire for data when it comes to growing. That desire doesn’t really carry over to the rest of my life, so it’s off to the therapist I go to try and figure out what’s going on :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah. My phone won’t give a reading without it, gives me an error/warning message.

2 Likes

What type of paper is it?

You are right, it’s 20# 96 brightness. Didn’t know there was such a thing.
But apparently what I’m using is good enough to match this Pulse meter.

1 Like

This is how I’ve been using it until I get more data from people using real meters :rofl:.

however…. It is nice to have accurate readings .

1 Like

Ah now we’re in a pickle…. Lol

I think I had 20# 96 bright paper at first also, readings changed by ~150 after changing to the heavier paper.

1 Like

Yes, me too.
I’ve been thinking about that, and in my case I realized it came from uncertainty. With some experience working with my light meter I got much more comfortable with the data.

…like riding a bike… :+1: :rofl:

Cheers
G

1 Like

And it’s so much easier to blame the numbers when something goes wrong, rather than my lack of skills in the “art” of growing (and I mean that sincerely, some folks just have the touch). I need that crutch I guess

2 Likes