Pure phosphorus (P) fertilizer or supplement?

HAW! :partying_face: :star_struck:
Good catch, that totally made a whooshing noise going by me!! :sleeping:

Cheers
G

1 Like

They were going to call it Kalium; the name was later changed but the letter stuck… :nerd_face:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

What @Hephaestus says. Mono-potassium phosphate or Potassium Phosphate Dibasic are the common “instant” fertilizer components for phosphorus. Bulk purchased chemical that’s pretty inexpensive since you only need a little bit.

Triple super phosphate appears to be Calcium Phosphate, which may be an option but I haven’t really thought too much about. Solubility?

3 Likes

Enema?? Sweet dual purpose haha

@Northern_Loki interesting, I’ve been reading similar things. It makes me wonder what exactly something like the natures nectar 0-4-0 is made from as all the chemical forms of P seem to come with N or K attached…besides superphosphates seemingly. I didn’t realize they have C as well though…

1 Like

Well, first off that’s a guarantee analysis, that means the numbers are at least that value, but could be higher. Just because the label says 0-4-0 doesnt meen it has no nitrogen. Labels can be misleading.

3 Likes

Haha, well it’s food/drug grade phosphate and doesn’t cost a fortune…

Funny enough our pharmacists usually ask if it’s for aquarium or plants when you ask for it at the store :laughing: the store brands are even cheaper. Just check the label to make sure they haven’t tossed extra crap in there.

3 Likes

I remember that. And stump remover for N and K haha.

E.I. dosing 4 lyfe!

1 Like

In coco. I’ve used magphos to help bump up the P. It has K but less than most. (Using Megacrop… Jacks…)

https://customhydronutrients.com/magphos-05518-c-1_46_635/

5428ad7a0b90d9029f66ddf74ad4565424192a96_1_380x500

What are you using as your base nute?

4 Likes

I was always under the impression that if a plant needs P that the plant starts making the exudates immediately to attract and multiply the bacteria that breaks down phosphorus material with the enzymes they produce I’m not sure of it needing to take months before it it’s available just a hunch IMO.

4 Likes

Well I got that from the reading I’ve done online. I’m sure you know how much bad or conflicting information there is out there on this sort of thing.

Phosphorus is particular is a strange one because of its relationship with soil microbes and root system. Theres even confusion around how it’s labelled…if you read any commercial nute it was say phosphorous as p2o5 but it doesn’t necessarily mean the phosphorous is in that form, it’s a strange government labelling law thing.

I thought I could just find and buy some powdered p2o5 but it doesn’t work that way lol. So you’ll see products like the Gaia brand phosphorous that will say they’re 0-9-0 or something, but they’ll really be more like 0-35-0 with 9% P being readily available and 26% that will change forms and become locked into the soil.

Anyways it’s thoroughly confusing…I really thought I’d be able to hop on Amazon and order some powdered P and be done with it :neutral_face:

2 Likes

That’s nice stuff, so far no source in Canada that I see but I’ll keep looking. I’m using mega crop as my base nute, which I’m sure you’re well aware is very high in N and K which makes it hard to bump P without going way overboard on something else.

2 Likes

Like I said up above, guarantee your local pharmacy has fleet enema… Even here in rural Alberta I can find it.

Get the plain stuff - details are on the package to work back dosing…

1 Like

If I do try it I’ll send my gf in to buy it lol

2 Likes

Like I said our pharmacists here seems to always ask plants or aquarium… I think they’ve clued into it’s mostly aquarium and orchid folk who are buying it :laughing: but shopper has it and they have self checkouts worst case.

2 Likes

Never done it yet, but I’m considering using a combo of MC and one of these Jacks products in the future. They all include micros.

In effort to lower N, I suspect my past MC grows suffered, at least partially due to lower than ideal micros. No data, just my gut feeling.

These are my breakdowns of the products, could be errors.
MC-Jacks-Combo

1 Like

Yes a big part of my worries is that I don’t want to lower mega crop too much and lose out on everything good in there I want. I think I’ve hit a pretty good balance, here’s what I’m thinking I’ll use:

I’m still getting my mega crop at almost full strength (1.1g/L vs 1.25 in veg) to hopefully cover micros and add some good silicate. I have a bunch of bud supplements and this ‘bud boom’ filled in the gap nicely.

I’m on the old v2 btw so numbers are a bit different…

3 Likes

K stands for kalium latin for potassium :nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

4 Likes

^ NERD lol… kidding that’s good to know. I mean there isn’t even a K in the word so I always wondered

2 Likes

I’ve bought the 0-0-50…but haven’t tried their raw P. It’s got some N in there too.
9-61-0

4 Likes

That’s some scary stuff!

Cheers
G

3 Likes