Recycling old soil

Ho guys, I have a question about soil? Do I need change soil after each grow? Or I can use it multiple times? Soil is biobizz all mix

3 Likes

You can use soil multiple times, see also:

5 Likes

If ya grow organics ya can use it one n other times… But chemical grows ended “inertizando” the soil…

1 Like

I recycle all my used soil. I have a big container (dumpster bag) that i amend with some bio-tone soil activator. It is essentially a compost pile but it’s so dry here it takes for ever to cook. (a season+). I added 500 red wrigglers to help break it down . I also add lawn clippings, dry leaves, cardboard and coco for the worms to eat I am going to add 1" foam board around and on top of the bag to help the worms survive over winter.

Peace.

7 Likes

Thats a good question marijuana growers like to know.

I don’t recycle old soil i’d have to rip out the root i’d consider old soil contaminated.

2 Likes

Like many others I let my old soil break down for at least a full year, amended, before I consider reusing it. The roots break down pretty fast in optimal composting conditions.

I’m using a batch of recycled soil right now and it is performing just fine with no ph, deficiency or pest issues.

Buying dirt is never fun… :sunglasses:

Stay hazed,
Jake

4 Likes

I dont even recycle. Mine stays in the pot and doesnt go anywhere. You can use the same soil in the same pot without even removing the rootball or anything. Juat gotta make sure you have good aeration and life. You could check out the ROLS thread (recycled organic living soil) on icmag. Toons of info there:)

8 Likes

“The old roots have nutes” as Minnesota nice and mendodope say!

5 Likes

Exactly. And they open up pathways for new roots to grow into making them grow much quicker. they also add aeration and pathways for nutrients, animals, and micro organisms to make their way through

4 Likes

Not to mention they are loaded with mycorrhizae fungi!

5 Likes

Ditto that ! It will be like mini worm tunnels!

1 Like

Mycos actually dies short after the plant is chopped. Thats why most gardeners re apply every transplant. They do better on roots of trees or something that is there for a long time. Thats not saying they dont help cannabis. They do big time. But they just dont stick around unless they have that host plant alive.

4 Likes

That’s what the cover crop is for :grin:

6 Likes

I have been known to recycle my soil, I spread it out thin on the garage floor,let it get bone dry then screen out the dead roots. Roots go out in the woods to rot on their own. Hard to hide perlite I then blend used soil into some fresh get it good and soggy let the old soil and peat regain moisture when soil mix will hold in a ball without being able to squeeze out moisture I test for pH and NPK and adjust as needed, used up old soil is gold soil I can trust it won’t burn my young plants

3 Likes

I think I may be getting deficiencies due to reusing my soil.
I’m looking into getting a worm farm to collect some of that sweet, sweet, black gold.
But I’ve seen this stuff before…anyone ever try it or anything like it? …or suggestions of what to use to rejuvinate my old soil?

2 Likes

Check out www.buildasoil.com

https://buildasoil.com/collections/pre-mixed-kits

They got what you need for reusing soil

2 Likes

I looked at that as well. Rock dust and a good whack of humic acid. Worm farm is the right move. I love EWC.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That Iron Earth would probably work fine, just follow the directions on the label. , The buildasoil kit @newb2.0 listed is a really nice mix too, they even list the amounts and what amendments they are so you could build your own.

Get that worm bin going ASAP. Nothing is better for plants than a healthy micro biology.

5 Likes

2 x 12 packs of Canadian nightcrawlers
2 x 12 packs of Canadian nitro nightcrawlers

$30.00 Cad.

2 Likes

would worms be able to survive on only the roots leftover from when I recycle and reuse my coco coir? could I just add a few worms to my smart pots?

2 Likes