ReikoX's Workshop Rebuild 2020

A staple in the no till garden :slight_smile:

Take a look at this set up

[Noobwannb’s Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup](Noobwannb’s Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup)

I imagine it would make watering a breeze and keep an optimal moisture level in your beds

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m familiar with SIP/SWICK bud I honestly love spending time with the plants. I would get bored with an automated system like SIP, SWICK, Blumats, etc. Hydro bored the shit out of me, two hours or less a week in the garden?

17 Likes

Spent some time looking at the specs for ventilation. First let’s look at the flower room. The flower room is 4’ x 6’ x 7’, so that works out to 168 cubic feet. Since I wont be using CO2, I should try and hit two air changes per minute, or 336 CFM. The room will be powered by a maximum of 1200 watts of LED lighting. Borrowing the calculations for HPS from the Ventilation 101 thread on ICMag, I need about 380 CFM to maintain a 10° F temperature difference. Those calculations are for HPS, but a watt is a watt right?

The AC Infinity Cloudline T6 is capable of 402 CFM, while the T8 is capable of 740 CFM. At first, the AC Infinity Cloudline T6 seems more suited for my space than the T8. There are a couple of issues with using the T6 which was brought up by @Jellypowered and @Mr.Sparkle. First issue, is the loss of CFM due to a filter. The Cloudline series doesn’t have a whole lot of static pressure. The second issue is running the T6 all of the time at full speed instead of running the T8 at a lower speed. Finally the difference in cost. Buying the T8 is about $50 USD more, but if I bought a T6 then needed to buy a T8 I would have to spend about $200 USD more. That’s just for the fan, not considering the cost of the filter.

14 Likes

Dont believe recommendations on cfms required. Yer plants dont need nething close 2that 2 perform at a high level. Kinda like ppfd. Same fer DLI. Same fer temps.

Better 2 worry bout coolin & humidity control than cfms.

My cloudline set 2 high humidity monitorin cuz temps also has alarm settings that werx independent. Brings my spaces down 2 specified rh in a min err less at fan speed 1.

6 Likes

“The best fertilizer is the farmers footsteps.” - Chinese proverb.

10 Likes

Today I spent most of the day disassembling the no-till cabinet. I hat previously removed the light, fan, filter, and no-till bed.

Today I am removing the interior structure. Like most things, I over engineered this cabinet. While disassembling it, I took note of things that worked well, and things that didn’t.

The interior electronics were all run through conduit. This ended up working well in the long run. The lights definitely bleached some wires and connectors that were not in the conduit. I removed those and the interior doors on the flower chamber.

Underneath the reflectix was some panda film. This didnt work as I wanted originally, but did keep moisture away from the sound deadening board. It has almost a cardboard texture. The panda film didnt work too well for the floor. I had a couple floods and that was starting to decompose.

Another thing that worked very well was this light trap. It would work very well for an exhaust or intake between two rooms. It being on the floor didnt work, however. It was getting clogged with spilled leaves and dead worms. It is pretty funny, I can tell worms made it from the no-till to my mothers below.

Something thing that didn’t work was having the electronics below the flowering chamber. Luckily I never had an issue, but I did get runoff dripping from flower down to veg a couple times. The runoff was able to travel through the light traps.

With the reflectix and panda film removed, the next layer to this puzzle is this sound deadening board. I painted it with KillZ to prevent it from molding, but I’m certain the panda film would have been enough. This is something that didn’t work so well. The majority of the noise the cabinet made was from the exhaust, and the sound deadening board did nothing to eliminate that.

Finally, we are getting to the interior frame. This frame is screwed together and glued to the walls. Then the gap is filled with insulation foam. This is something that worked great. Not only did it keep the temperature easy to manage, but it nullified a lot of vibrations.

Now the cabinet is empty. I can start to take it apart and dispose of the frame. I plan to move the cabinet itself into storage, I may find a use for it some day.

25 Likes

Looking good brother, one helluva way to plan!!

2 Likes

I hate throwing things away, I try and re purpose stuff as much as possible, I think I could become a bit of a hoarder :cold_sweat:

6 Likes

I got the storage cabinet taken completely apart and moved into storage, under the house. I just couldn’t being myself to throw it I’m sure I will find a use for it someday.

I got the interior pieces broken down and ready to take to the dumpster. I ended up saving the wood frame, but cutting down the foam board and sound deadening board.

It’s amazing how dirty it got behind that cabinet in the last five years or so. I can only imagine what the workbench looks like under it too. This is one thing I wont have to worry about in the new room.

I’ll be packing all this stuff up in boxes and putting it in storage as well. Some of this will probably be used in the new room.

27 Likes

Thanks for doing this. :slight_smile:

Seeing the evolution of your garden(& several other OGers’–you know who you are :joy: ) really helps shorten the learning curve for us who are a few years behind or just beginning.

With the changes in Cannabis laws opening up home growing to so many more people, the need for some new books seems apparent, or at the very least heavily updating the existing “bibles”.

(The OG GrowFAQ itself is ripe for “modernization” IMO).

Thanks again for all your sharing. :hugging:

:evergreen_tree:

16 Likes

Subbed in for this one

Nice strong text

2 Likes

While I’m working on the workshop, I have my bonsai mothers in a 16"x16" tent. They were getting quite crowded, so I had to give them a trim. I usually have to do this every couple of weeks.

The tent is powered by a 50W LED panel, has a 4" inline fan, and a webcam in it. I just recently added the 6" oscillating circulation fan because the tent wasn’t getting warm enough to kick on the extraction fan enough.

23 Likes

I removed my environmental controls from the workshop. So, I went ahead and packed up my 16" x 16" tent and moved it into my upstairs bathroom.

With the 16" x 16" tent out of the way, I also cleared off the drafting table that sat in this corner. My next step will be to remove that shelf. I will also move the toolbox out of the way.

This wall is one of the two walls that need to be torn down. I’m hoping the framing is up to code, or it could be a bigger job than I had hoped for.

This wall will also need to be torn down. I’ll be moving the workbench out of the way and removing the cabinets soon. I am hoping to re-use the cabinets over the workbench. My stash box and rosin press will stay in the workshop during the rebuild.

24 Likes

Lol that last picture just reminds me about the two boxes of “little bits” I have in my loft. I’m too cheap to throw it away because it will be of use IF I ever need it again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

To be fair, I did throw away the screws and rusty bits. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Started a little bit of demolition on the workshop. Last week I removed the shelf that was against the west (outside) wall. Apparently this was part of the original construction. The sheetrock wasnt finished and there were no ceiling tiles under it.

Turns out the east (interior) wall was sheetrock on the inside of the workshop, and is definitely wood panel on the other side. This had to have be some of the thinnest sheetrock I have ever seen (1/4"?) I’m seriously considering replacing the sheetrock on both sides at once.

I also plan on moving that electrical outlet. I want to replace it with a switch. The switch for the light in this room also controls the light in the family room. I also want to relocate that switch to the family room, it is currently in the laundry room.

The north (interior) wall was masonite on the inside of the wall. This wall is already insulated and has OSB behind the insulation. So that should make replacing the paneling in the other room fairly easy.

29 Likes

Some one didn’t think out the wiring when they first did it.

The wiring in our house confuses me the way it’s set out. Especially the way the light switches work. I have 2 switches in a bank of 6 that have wires in them but I am fucked if I can find what they control and we have been here 12 years. The only thing I can think of is some outside security lights that have never worked, but it why would you have those switches in your living room :thinking:

6 Likes

Secret torture chambers bro keep your eyes peeled :rofl:

4 Likes

Are they hooked to an outlet? I have two or three switches hooked to outlets in some of the rooms. They did not have lights in the room and would plug a lamp in the outlet and then turn on the switch for the lamp. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Now you mention it I do have an outlet that works intermittently, I have had it apart a couple of times and it seems fine, I will check and see if the switch affects it :+1:

8 Likes