Removing Mulch in flower?

Hey all.
So as the topics states, is it a good practice to remove the mulch layer from your pots or beds the last 4 weeks of flowering? I have never heard of this until a guy who grows out here told a friend of mine that it’s an important thing to do. I have never heard this before and was trying to understand why one would do that. It was relayed that it helps the soil dehydrate which in turn curbed fungal problems which confused me more lol. Anyone shed some light on this ?

2 Likes

Sounds like stoner science to me. The answer to “flushing” in organics would be my guess. Cannabis will go into programmed plant death (senescence) regardless of available nutrition…

The mulch layer in a living soil bed is in a constant state of decomposing, turning decaying organic matter into nutrition for the plant. It also provides water retention and a home for beneficial incects and bacteria, fungi, etc…

7 Likes

The only thing I can think of is so that you could water more.

5 Likes

As part part of Korean organic farming and "what Mother Nature would do"is the soil always wants to be covered think your buddy has it back asswards type of thinking on this approach! Lol

4 Likes

Completely agree with you guys. I was asking why he would do this and the answers were just sounding old fish taley to me. I’ve never taken mulch away , actually the complete opposite… oh well each to there own I guess … not something I’d ever consider doing

5 Likes

Only thing I can think of is is you are in an area that is mold prone…maybe pull the mulch away from stem about 4-6 inches

6 Likes

Honestly, I wish I knew more about mulch. lol Everything I read is modified for frost free areas and only tells me not to mulch until spring since I don’t need protection from frost or snow. I actually had to ask @Tinytuttle if I’m supposed to water and fertilize on top of the mulch or remove it. I had no clue. lol What makes sense to me intuitively would be to keep the mulch at flower as it’s probably still hot as balls and summer in Africa to keep the plant cooler. But what do I know? :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Keeps the surface of the soil a lot cooler upwards of 15-20 degrees in direct sunlight helps prevent moisture loss from the surface soil just makes things more happy! :blush: :blush::blush::blush::blush:

4 Likes

If you’re growing outdoors it prevents weeds growing round the base of the plant and helps keep soil moist. If you’re in a sub tropical super humid area, I probably wouldn’t use it so much or thinner layers of whatever you’re using to mulch. Also depends on your soil type. Round me it’s heavy clay and the weather is temperate so I use mulch to keep the soil warmer for longer when finishing grows. It rots down. I would have thought mulching would be a good thing if you’re in sunny Africa.

3 Likes

Around me here in Co it’s heavy also so much that you can almost sculp with it on a potters wheel but every year it gets better just cover with fall leaves and water and you’d be amazed at how it changes in sat 6 months microbes go to work on it and it aggregates and becomes soft to the point you can dig it with a spoon!

4 Likes

Mulch is a life saver out here that’s for sure :sunglasses:

2 Likes