School me on LED . Yes I’m old school . I’m late to the party 😃

Im running 4x QB96V2 elites at between 600 and 700 watts in a 4x4 and love them. They have added red diodes and I have noticed they really help to reduce stretch and kick things into flowering quickly. Easier to control things for me… dont have any experience with the others. Migro on youtube does some cool comparison videos of a bunch of lights and how efficient they are etc…

They seem to work really well for veg all the way thru flowering. I think they end up at right around 3500k

2 Likes

__

Its kicking ass!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pre-assembled-250W-Samsung-lm301B-top_62021649971.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.5.564520b2tyOJhO
I was considering something like this.

This is the tent I have, I have a trough setup on the top shelf, I use the bottom for clones, seedling and small moms. So I need qb for the top in a 1’x4’

7 Likes

Yeah that’s definitely killing it. Nice rig brother. All nicely contained too. That’s how I usually like shit but mines all over the place right now. Need to stop fucking about building stuff and start growing more lol

4 Likes

i’m always fucking with something. Growing, dirtbikes, vehicles, firearms etc. Gotta keep the mind sharp!

3 Likes

That tent has a removable panel between the 2 sides - that leaks light.
So… ok for a propagation and veg tent.
Not good for flower if you’re using the other side for veg due to light leaks.

I have one, and leave the divider panel out…

1 Like

We might be the some distance round the world but we got similar hobbies. I’m test running my gravity return 2x4ft contained res flood and drain system as we speak :sunglasses: more of a road/race bike kinda guy than dirtbike but I’m about that 2 wheel lifestyle :grin:

1 Like

Foil Tape solves that problem! I am finishing my second run in there, no issues!

4 Likes

If its got a motor I am into it lol!

1 Like

I was just looking at one of the 2x3s like this!

1 Like

Hey Sure man , what’s the challenge ?

I may go with this unit . I won’t be ready until spring so I have some time to contemplate … https://www.bghydro.com/fluence-spydr-2x-led-grow-light-system.html

1 Like

If I can dyi a similar unit I’m all ears . That’s a lotta cake for that .

Just build the Bridgelux EB2 fixtures Colanoscopy n I was tellin u bout. $400 to cover a 4x4. It’s half price fer quite a bit more output (525w DIY and 345w Spyder) n better spread compared to the Fluence n u aint gotta wait 6-8wks for Fluence to build it (current lead time right now).

All the DIY components are covered by their own warranties such as the Meanwell driver has 7yr warranty. I say this cuz ppl on other sites been havin warranty repair issues w Fluence in the last 6mo - cant even get in contact w em via phone err email at all.

1 Like

Cuz LED dont put out infra red (IR) like HID (bulb) lights do. IR heats the leaf surfaces at yer top canopy n causes transpiration. U run LED hotter & higher humidity (bout 85F n 70% RH or closely adhering to VPD in veg n lowering humidity a tad in flower) so u get similar transpiration. The lack of IR is also why u can run LED closer to the canopy w 8-12" recommended n 18" max distance.

Since u run hotter u can use less cooling in the summer - a lot less - n saves xtra $$ compared to HID.

3 Likes

I’m not super versed on LEDs but that diy strip build looks great. I have over the years gone hps/mh to blurpies to cobs, then better cobs and finally Growmau5 pucks f2.

Love them. And better trich production by far.

Strips are great I hear.

Once you go led, you won’t want to go back. Well, maybe you will but most likely not.

2 Likes

I like that the Fluence unit has both veg and flowering capabilities… I am definitely a newb when it comes to LED’s , that function is probably stock for most units I’m guessing ?

I went with the 3500k for all the cobs… it works great for both. The Growmau5 pucks are mixed spectrum and I would say are around 3800k.

Fluence are nice, but you’re paying for the name and fancy clean design. If that’s worth it to you, go for it. It’s a good product. DIY you get more bang for your buck. Even rapidled might be a option. Can purchase a built light, should still be cheaper than the fluence.

1 Like

Yes all lights no matter what can be used fer flower n veg both so that means nothing. Latest research says if yer using normal modern white LEDs (like in the strips n in the Fluence) you aint gain nothing from changing spectrum to blue fer veg err red fer flower. Dont matter unless yer usin old HID bulb-based lights.

The Fluence is bigger n heavier than the DIY build. Its less watts (345w vs. 525) but more importantly the fluence is less output cuz its lower wattage even tho its about the same efficiency at the chip n driver level. Basically w that Fluence u get 2/3 of the DIY output for 2x the price. Aint worth it.

3 Likes

If a light has 2 switches, Unless they are just out of seedling stage, I turn both switches on. The 660nm red will keep your node spacing tighter and plant height shorter in veg. It helps with training. My cobs peak both the blue and red spectrum, they are infact full spectrum for growing.

1 Like