LED options for my 2x2x4

So my 450w viparspectra diodes are starting to burn out. I hear allot about these Cobb led lights but don’t know enough about them to buy one, I don’t want to buy blindly. What do you guys think is my best option for led’s in my 2x2x4? Going to be doing 4 plant scrog as usual. I want something that will be 450w-600w. I don’t mind spending some money to get a decent product but I also don’t want to break the bank on a light for such a small space. All opinions are welcome!!!

1 Like

http://timbergrowlights.com/model-2ts/

http://timbergrowlights.com/model-25ts/

4 Likes

Look at the PAR, and not the watts bro!

A 250W COB rig will give you as much if not more light than a 400W HPS… For sure…

Right @lotus710!?

4 Likes

Thankyou! I will definitely consider this, quality looks great!

1 Like

I also here allot of talk about DIY led strip lights, what kind of strips and how many would be recommended for a area this size? This seems like a cheap and very efficient alternative!

1 Like

The man to talk to about this is @Baudelaire, he can also make a rig for you…

1 Like

@Ny_pifftrain Build your own using the LED tape ribbons and aluminum c-channel, and seems like everybody uses Meanwell drivers. Use the lm561c samsung diodes, they did come out with the lm301b diodes that are 2.3% more efficient but they aren’t exactly flooding the market yet. Super cheap to build, even spread of light, very efficient, no active cooling needed so no fans buzzing ruining your steal cab, so little heat that the aluminum c-channel is a sufficient enough passive heatsink, and lightweight. You can do it, DIY do or die its not hard plenty of how-tos out there.

OG’s LED info/community needs to catch up & flesh out, but LEDGardener is good. Its actually perfect timing that OG returns right when LED has turned the corner, that way OG doesn’t have a bunch of data-clutter from the shitty days of early LED. And on other sites I’m not sure I can mention here, I am seeing some great SOG results, plenty of light – too much light sometimes, ideal for even and shallow canopies. Would be perfect for your dimensions. All I can do is point you in the right direction and warn you that the COBs would present a problem due to your lack of vertical space.

2 Likes

Timber is great. That light would be perfect. A 250 would be better then a 400hps forsure. The strip lights or quantum boards would be best for your grow. Get 2 foot eb strips from digi key and a 1050 ma meanwell driver from mouser. For a 2x2 id say 10 strips would be killer maybe a bit overkillXD you could do 5 and add if needed. Or build the light so you can control each strip or each group of strips.

Ps. You might even want to run them at 700ma because of the height limit. This way you can get them closer without bleaching and stress

2 Likes

Can someone send me a link to where I can buy the appropriate strips? I have only been able to find them in 4ft lengths. Can they be cut like some of the other led strips I have seen?

If you want a quality light built in the USA look no further than Fluence Bioengineering.

I do not work for them, but to date I have seen no better on the market and get a minimum of 2GPW with my best being near 6GPW.

2 Likes

For a 2x2, the Quantum Board would be perfect! They are based off of the Samsung strips. You can do COBs, just get a dimmable driver. I run 250-watts of COB in a 2" x 3" x 4" cab with a dimmer. How handy are you with DIY stuff?

1 Like

Fairly handy, I’m going to build a new 2x2x4 from plywood and 1x2 this weekend painted flat white as my cheap tent is starting to deteriorate as well. I work construction for a living so in that aspect I do very well with diy but as far as electrical is concerned I have only done simple circuits. I’m sure I could figure out wiring a diy light if that is what you are suggesting. I just want to get the most performance for as cheap as possible.

Cheap LED’s are not good, and good LED’s are not cheap.

7 Likes

That’s why I’m leaning towards diy. Seems to outperform the heap lights by miles at a similar price point.

I just looked at the Quantum Board by Horticulture Lighting Group, but they are all sold out. If you can handle the basics like soldering and using a multimeter, you could do a DIY. I suggest starting with Growmau5 videos on YouTube.

Oh, I can’t believe I didn’t suggest off-the-shelf LEDs! Check out what these guys at ICMag are doing with them. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806

Digikey sells samsung and bridgelux strips. Bridgelux are less than half the price of samsung.
For the strips all you need are the drivers, strips, and something to mount too. If you wanna run them at 1400ma or more i suggest getting some aluminum stock to attach them too. And no you can cut them.

I have SolStrips available now in 3000K, 4000K, and 5000K. Additional stock in 2700K and 3500K will be available in two weeks.

These are custom designed for our purposes, from top-shelf Samsung LM561C diodes, S6 bin. 48 watts and 9000 lumens per strip, delivering up to 200 lm/watt - the most efficient light on the market. The strips are 400x30 mm, about 16.5 x 1.25 inches, the perfect size for lighting 2 ft. wide spaces. They fit neatly into a standard baking pan (cookie sheet), three strips per sheet will light a 2x2 space from veg through harvest. Three strips equal the output of a single Quantum board.

I will be posting a few DIY designs here in the next few days, based on the SolStrips. The strips are completely interchangeable, allowing you to mix your own spectrum and build multi-channel arrays (seedling/clone, veg, bloom, finish).

Much more at the SolStrip thread. I’ve been busy testing these before releasing them but if you’d like to reserve a set I am taking pre-orders now. $20 each for up to 10 strips, $17.50 each for orders larger than 10 strips. DM me here to reserve your order or for more info. -b420

6 Likes

After looking at some grow journals on this site and others I think I may actually go 150hps for my space. Should be plenty sufficient for 2x2 light wise. And I was worried about heat but other people seem to do just fine with 150hps with no serious heat mitigation systems.

1 Like

I know people will argue but people with small spaces are killing it with off the shelf led light bulbs 10W 3000K at 30-40 Watts a square foot over 2GPW is not un heard of and will save you big cash for some better genetics until you can afford a better set up.

A LED grow from Haobe from midnight sun using off the shelf LED lightbulbs

There is a tread On IG up to 166 pages so there must be somthing to it?

5 Likes