Scorpio's First Grow (Canada)

Thanks again, I am looking those up now. Had to add cannabis in the search cause when I searched Lifta and Kiss it was sending me to videos of guys lifting up their girlfriends while kissing them and even some girls lifting their boyfriends! Lol!
I will keep an eye out for the algae on the fabric pots! Hope they do ok. If not I can just get some buckets for my next grow.
Yes, I will do my best to contribute when I can. That’s why I started this Grow Diary. Even though I don’t know much right now, I figured it was a good way to get help and let others see the advice I am getting as a newb. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice tips! I think I will try the clear cup inside the solid one next time. I think it sounds easier than taking the plant out of the soil to check it every time. Thanks!

LMAO had to heck my spelling l i t f a I don’t think I wanna see that ‘lifta’ site…hilarious…

1 Like

you say that, but once the roots propagate the media it just comes out as a puck, but i throw up a picture later potentially :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @Scorpio! Lifta and Kiss are acronyms :grinning:. Search for them here on og. Welcome and I’m taking a seat

3 Likes

Fixed the clear container problem.
Got some black construction paper and made some covers for the outside of my containers (aka pop bottles). They are easy to slide up to see if the roots are hitting the sides and if the container is getting dry and in need of watering. I have been getting about 2-3 days in between waterings.

I guess once the leaves are bigger it will be easier to slide them down! :slight_smile: The sooner the better!

9 Likes

Well, I had time take a few more pics. I think I should have gone with a single strain for my first grow so I could compare the plants to one another. The Gorilla in back that had got injured is doing fine now and actually looks like it will soon be bigger than the little one on the front right. I think that one is sativa even though I was expecting indica. My friend says it’s to small to tell but it’s leaves are hanging down, more skinny, and the whole plant is smaller in general. I hear indica’s are faster growers.

The one on the left is so much bigger and planted at the same time!
Left-

Right-

Back (previously injured) -

So the only one that seems to not be doing the greatest is the one I think is Sativa. Small and a little brown on the tips of a couple leaves. Seems like Indicas are a bit more hardy or like the setup I have better?
My grow was suppose to be 4 and I do have a fourth which is the Blue Dream but it is still just starting so no pic yet. I had already started the Gorilla and the original Blue Dream seed a little late as I was impatient and germinated the other 2 seeds before getting the second ones in the mail, Lol! So the gorilla is a few days younger than thye other 2 on top of the injury it had. I think it’s doing ok though. The last seed however, didn’t germinate! I didn’t want to end up with more plants than I am allowed legally so I had to wait because the company says it can take up to 7 days to germinate.
Eventually I ended up planting another seed of Blue dream since that one was still not germinating.
Hoping it will grow quick to catch up to those others a bit. I was planning on bending (training) them some so I guess that one will need less bending! :slight_smile: Later!

5 Likes

Just wondering if anyone has used or heard anything about this fertilizer? I want to replace the one I have now because it is 5-5-5 and has the EDTA stuff in it so is not really organic. I only used it once when I transplanted the seedlings from the 2" Jiffy pots into the larger containers they are in now. This one I found is all organic and 5-3-2. Seems good for during Veg.

Also if you guys can suggest what ratio for Flower, I am trying to decide between 2 I found. One Fert is 5-10-10 and the other is 6-8-12. Not sure which would work better?
Thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I picked some up last year to play with. I’m running home brew super soil.
First pass I composted it into the basic soil mix. There was no sign of it after 6 weeks - totally absorbed into the mix. Plants did great.
Second pass I didn’t have time to compost in so I added some to the bottom layer in 7 Gal. cloth pots. ‘The girls’ seem to be happy with that too. My take on it is it a good additive for veg.

Those two ferts. seem a bit high to me in N of flower

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile: Glad the Veg one is ok, I was hoping it would be. It’s hard to find specific numbers at the stores around here. I may have to see what I can find online to get the lower N. Otherwise I may have to go with buying them separate but seems like a little more work involved. Was trying to keep it simple for my first time. :wink:

Time for an update since I am stuck at home with this crazy virus going around.
The two indicas are doing really well but the sativa seems to be getting worse. :frowning: I think I may have over did it with the nutrients? I hear that indicas are more tolerant to higher levels of nutrients than sativas. You can also see a huge difference in size. I know that the sativas are usually slower growing than indica but this seems way too big of a difference. The largest plant (indica) was germinated at the same time as the sativa and the size difference is ridiculous! Now that the sativa is sick I understand but even before that it was very slow growing. Pics…

The largest - All leaves look just about perfect…

Sickly Sativa…

Leaves look all messed up! Are Sativas that much harder to grow than indicas?
Thanks again for any help. I know this plant isn’t going to do much but will help me for future grows! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

All strains are different, even plants are unique. My Cali orange will start to wilt around ph 7.0 and Moma Thai is sensitive to fertilising, BNC Diesel uses more Mg than the rest. Some strains are more forgiving than others.

1 Like

All things considered, my SWAG is it is probably just bad genetics ('cause the Indica is looking great). That little one looks like it is having root issues (lack of them).
Decision time: Pull it and pop another bean or see what happens…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks, I guess that makes it hard as I don’t even know the strain of two of my plants. The Gorilla that was injured is doing ok now and the other indica that I don’t know the strain of is the largest. The sativa I wasn’t even expecting as it was from my friend who grows mostly indica and he just gave me a few random seeds that had got mixed up. Luck of the draw I guess! Lol!

1 Like

It’s always a trick starting from seeds, that and flowering time and size. Even with some breeder seeds you’ll get a couple different phenotype. I prefer to find a good one then take clones :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I’ll see if it comes around just for fun. I do have one more plant (sprout/seedling) that is only starting it’s first leaves. It is a Blue Dream. The first leaves are so small I doubt I could get them in a pic with my camera right now. Will get one soon though.
This grow was basically a test for me. Was hoping to get a few seeds if I get a male from the gorilla as I think the other indica is a female. Hard to tell for sure since it’s so small but it has some things that look like female pre-buds started. I have never seen them before so might still grow some balls! LOL!

2 Likes

Ya, if my gorilla continues to be healthy and is female I will definitely take a clone from it. :slight_smile:
I was just planning on doing a seed run as I am new at this and don’t have many seeds to work with yet. That’s why I used those unknown strain seeds from my friend. I have a few that I actually bought, including the gorilla and the blue dream so hope to either get seeds or clones of them to continue having access to that strain without spending more. Just hoping the Blue Dream takes after the indica more than the sativa. I seem to do well with them! :slight_smile: (I know! They are all different, just get the feeling that indicas like me better, LOL!)

You might be overwatering. Plants that size in those containers should probably only need water every weekish. Make sure when you water a bit runs out the bottom, then wait until almost completely dry to water again. You’ll start to get a feel for the weight of them when wet vs dry.

For flowering nutes I’d go with the 5-10-10 that’s a good ratio with the higher P.

1 Like

Thanks, I have been watering twice a week but not usually getting much out the bottom. I guess I can soak them better each time and see if they go longer between watering. I think I was just being lazy and not wanting to clean up the overflow! Lol!
Plus those paper towels are getting expensive now that people are using them to replace the sold out Toilet paper!
But seriously, hope everyone is staying safe until they figure out this crazy virus. #StayHomeAndGrow
:heart:

1 Like

i don’t see any preflowers, just the stipules

2 Likes