Seed Soak Solutions (Open Discussion)

I sit mine right next to a heat vent

5 Likes

This guy seeds.

Hell yeah brother.

8 Likes

Normally; tap water until I see seeds crack, sow in medium, let the strong survive.

7 Likes

I put them straight into soil about half inch down and wait . It works for me .

8 Likes

I very rarely soak seeds at all.
Only if I believe a certain seed batch may not be close to 100% viable, then I soak
in straight tap water and put ‘em in a paper towel.
So the majority of the time I simply put ‘em directly in ProMix.

9 Likes

I use the same but substitute the kelp for aloe. Soak till they sink…about 6-8 hours. Then into a paper towel.

1/4 cup aloe leaf
ful power
Ag Sil

7 Likes

I put them in paper towel and put them in heated vac chamber (no vac). It has a really precise heat control and keeps the humidity high. I like root root cubes as it’s easy to go into hydro or dirt.

4 Likes

Maybe I have just been lucky but I have always ran the paper towel method with success. I have soaked until sinking but I have also had success with just going straight into the towels which I typically do.

My current method since starting growing again involves filtered water, paper towels in a ziplock in between two paper plates, resting on a laptop as a heating mat haha.

The Stardawg I just popped germed in like 18 hours using that method with no soak.

3 Likes

Tap water and a shot glass are all you need for fresh seeds. For older seeds I suggest sterilization. I hear pure, fresh EWC works well too.

3 Likes

generally just water and a splash of hydrogen peroxide

3 Likes

What an interesting chemical! I had no idea it could be used for seeds.

We used to apply DMSO topically to horses back when I had a ranch. It can work as an analgesic but is also very effective delivery system to allow other medicines to be absorbed through their skin. It isn’t approved for human use in the U.S., and should only be used on animals that will not be slaughtered for food.

2 Likes

I only learned about it recently. You can find the recipe posted around here as well, but there’s also academic papers that have proven it’s efficacy.

Unfortunately it hasn’t worked on my tough to crack seeds. But I suspect they’re just not viable. I’ve thrown the kitchen sink at them and gotten nowhere.

1 Like

So I feel dumb asking and feel like I should know it but what does the peroxide do?

1 Like

Here you may find the answer, it’s the method I use since. There are no dumb questions, it’s the way to learn from others … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

sterilizes the water to a certain extent, and adds o2 in the process

4 Likes

Those are the main reasons I use it. Also seeds float even when the shell opens, and mold/fungus growth from spores riding along on the shell are sterilized can won’t infect the taproot. :+1:

5 Likes

i use h2o2 to sterilize, just in case the seed itself has any bacteria on it that could cause it to damp off and die

4 Likes

There are several methods/solutions outlined in this thread:

1 Like

Good bookmark.

1 Like

TM7 must still be the shit cuz I just got it recommended at the grow shop and bought some lmao gonna be doing the seed soak today