Soaking seeds in coconut or bean water?

I have some decade or more old seeds that I want to try and pop again. I’ve heard soaking in coconut or bean water provides enzymes that help. Is this true? Pineapples have lots of enzymes …wondering about that. What do you guys do to help old seeds?

1 Like

Outta likes.

Interesting question. What does “bean water” mean? Water that dried legumes have soaked or been cooked in? Something else entirely? Thank you!

2 Likes

That’s a good question and I was hoping to get clarification here; I assume it’s drained off water from soaking legumes.

2 Likes

Have been reading coconut water quite often lately. Bean water is new to me. I can offer aloe as another option. Worm bins seem to be a magical ancient seed reviver too but don’t have one.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of aloe but not coconut or bean soak

3 Likes

I have used aloe (I like) and coconut water. Coconut water seems to work well but my experience is limited.

3 Likes

I usually use coconut water when soaking both clones and seeds, but honestly don’t know whether it actually helps or not.

4 Likes

There’s someone that always have answers for everything… :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Additionally, coconut water also contains gibberellic acid, which is known to increase the germination of seeds. Our Coconut Water Powder is non-GMO verified, organic, vegan, and kosher. It provides excellent hydration and contains natural electrolytes.

Seems like soaking seeds in some coconut water for 24-48 hrs might not be a bad idea. Maybe putting cuttings in a glass of coco water might be interesting.

8 Likes

Thanks, powder is a better idea as it lasts longer, will going to try it … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

Here is a lentil soak method that you might find useful…

2 Likes

Got a sachet of coconut water that I intend to use in feed (15ml per litre) …will also try it for seeds ,although fresh coconut water is cheap I thought I will give this freeze dried one a try :slightly_smiling_face: as it can be easily stored :slightly_smiling_face:

:v:&:green_heart:

Edit - I just used this on a one day old seedling which wasn’t looking perky and could see the difference in a few hours …

3 Likes

Aloe is good, I’ll have to try the coconut water one day.

1 Like

Is coconut milk the same thing for this purpose? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1 Like

Not at all …coconut milk is extracted from the flesh of the nut :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For your enzymes, get some bulk hemp seeds and make a sprouted seed tea

5 Likes

@Taproot, …so this seedling was done for but thanks to your post I decided to use freeze dried coconut water to try and revive it…mixed a few pinches in 20ml water and gave around 10ml.
Now I will be adding it on days when I only give water :slightly_smiling_face: …to all my plants.
In my next seed germination I will use this in place of H2o2

:v:&:green_heart:

2 Likes

Yeah, soaking old seeds in coconut or bean water can help because of the enzymes. Pineapple juice might work too, but it’s less common.

1 Like

Does coffee count as bean water?

10 Likes

Coffee has all the minerals, but I think it’s over-toasted and probably doesn’t provide the benefits you’re looking for. But coffee grounds are really good for plants and for soil amending.

4 Likes