Sexing Conundrum : Solved

One night of 12/12 really perked these plants up!

2 Likes

Ok, Im going to try this too.

This is a victim, er, ah, a test subject in my HPA trials. It was a seed I won in one of the contests here on OG, but I have no idea which one it was. Somehow, some of my seeds from different people got mixed up and several got smashed. This is one of the few survivors. So I have no clue what it is - indica or sativa or a mix? Thats why Im using it as a torture, er, ah, I mean test subject :slight_smile:

This is how it looks today.

I hope this is mature enough to try this. We will see :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe a little young, Iā€™m counting five nodes, but I think @cogitech saw no stress from the two extended nights. Iā€™ll be doing this with my Cherry Tart soon as well.

I love how open this community is to experimenting with different ideas. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Still no signs of sex organs. Males are supposed to show firstā€¦ Maybe I have all females. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

3 Likes

Hasnā€™t it only been 4 or 5 days? Should take a week or so, hereā€™s hoping it works for you. :pray:

2 Likes

Yep. It is still early, I guess.

The plants sure are happy, though. Will post some photos later in my conservatory thread.

2 Likes

if it was the Purple from @Cobra50, pretty sure those are all females

1 Like

No, they are his (Cali-O x Durban Tai High Flyer) x Durban.

1 Like

my apologies, i think I was referring to the post by @anon32470837 where he said he got seeds mixed up and didnā€™t know which one it was.

2 Likes

No worries. I had 1 too many brownies last night so Iā€™m a bit slow todayā€¦

4 Likes

Probably an old wives tale, @cogitech. I re-pot in Flowering occasionally and it doesnā€™t seem to hurt. They usually donā€™t skip a beat. I do this when I know the plant will turn into a giant, Iā€™ll leave it in a small pot for about 3 weeks. They usually immediately hit a growth spurt for a few days and then stop.

Also, I donā€™t put them into larger posts until they have 5 nodes. Iā€™ve waited longer some times. It seems that they show within a week of up sizing their pot.

Thatā€™s another thing Iā€™ve found in the past. If I have no insect problems, my plants always look awesome after one day in Flowering. If I have a plant that is not looking as good as it should, I put into Flowering early and leave it. I think the plants are getting a photogasm from the 12/12 under the Flowering lamp. :wink:

I like that tip, @ReikoX. :smile: Iā€™m putting it in to my Grow Journal database so I donā€™t forget it.

I must be misinterpreting your statement. I find that, on average, the male seedlings present their sex 1st.

3 Likes

BALLS.

Yes, some of them are starting to show!

Will give them another day or two and then do a full assessment.

1 Like

Cool!! Well, except for the BALLS part :slight_smile:

So, it looks like it took 7 days from the day you started the 12/12. My baby just finished its second day of 12/12, so I have maybe 5 more daysā€¦

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much.

Some strains are showing sooner than others. For example, I am 100% sure both my Pineapple Expresses are males, not sure at all about my two Northernberries yet. The rest I am fairly sure about, but not 100% yet.

1 Like

Dispatched the two Pex males this morning. There was absolutely no doubt.

I am not 100% sure on the rest of them yet, but it appears that I might only have one more male in the whole group.

Nice to have lots of females to choose from, but it actually looks like all 4 of my CBDream x Critical Kush are going to be females - which is sad because I wanted at least one male so I could back-cross him to his aunt (the female CBDream).

1 Like

It worked! :+1::seedling:

Not that I was worried it wouldnā€™tā€¦

Iā€™ll be doing this with my Cherry Tart tonight and Iā€™ll report back in a week or so.

2 Likes

Yes, it did work! Some are slower to show than others, but I suspect theyā€™ll be along in another day or so.

Thanks brother!

2 Likes

Confirmed:

-Both Pex, males, tossed.

• 3 CBDream x Critical Kush, females, will keep the best one.

• 2 Cali-O x Durban, females, will keep the best one.

• 1 CBDream, female (fem seed, no surprise), will keep.

Pretty sure:

• 1 CBDream x Critical Kush, male, will probably keep to breed with CBDream female.

• 2 Northernberry, females, will keep the best one.

Interesting observation: the CBDream x CK females are larger than the one that appears to be a male.

3 Likes

This has been an interesting, educational, fun experiment and I have to thank @ReikoX once again for this awesome tip. Itā€™ll stay in my toolbox forever.

They all got a good feed and Iā€™ll be culling the unlucky ones and transplanting the lucky ones soon.

4 Likes

I am giving the Cherry Tart their first 12 hours of darkness today. They are looking happy and healthy going in!

4 Likes