Shaggy's Fantasy Island (A virtual exclusive cannabis community, of sorts.) (Part 1)

@Kgrim
That is another reason I hated installing locks and hardware.
1 mistake and you trashed a high-dollar door. :grimacing:

Good luck brother man, good thing you got things under control. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

@Mrgreenthumb
I think I need your safe address when you have the time sir. :wink:

1 Like

Ok I am ready for some more safe address…next on deck is…

13 Likes

Coming right at you.thanks again @shag

3 Likes

He’s been gone for a while, but this is the last piece to what seemed a never ending puzzle.
Once I got involved, I showed my partner and our GM that he had no clue what he was doing.
All he did at the other glass shop was drawings with the measurements he was given, and stated he did field work, take offs, shop drawings, orders and submittals. Guy couldn’t measure, didn’t understand field work, his shop drawings were shit, they were like the hardware template above, had to figure everything out, couldn’t do a bid, and his ordering was sub-par.
Da Boot and to the curb he went once I got involved, especially with the $25k-$35k Brass Doors for Miami that I had to fix.

4 Likes

Feeling a tad bit better, can move a little bit more, and pain is manageable.
I frustrates me because I do everything by the template, and 95% of the time, things are spot on, it’s the 5% that’ll screw ya, that’s why I check, check, discuss, check again, cross reference, check one last time, THEN drill and cut.

4 Likes

Yes the repetition I think is kinda what I like about doing when you go through with the design. I found that for every little project you had your boiler plate and then you started modifying it fit your project. I was constantly learning new tricks in cad that helped with the design for whatever project you were doing either a commercial or residential setup. I found the learning curve a little steep at first but then you could really hit the gas and start finding all kinds of things that would make the job easier and cut down on the things you missed. You always had the one big thing that you checked before the project started then it was just a matter of details and developing your own style. Had a good boss or bosses that were always throwing cooling things at me, loved it.

1 Like

Thru the weeds, out of the forest, a little hand fitting, and pass thru lock is installed and door is ready for shipment.
On another note, sent the kids to the cold today to install the Soup Can. Had to drive bye and see it for myself today, and it is pretty impressive if I must say so myself.
This is “donated” work for the local Soup Kitchen. All doors, windows and composite panel was fabricated by me, soup can was done by our welders, then a local company did the EXPENSIVE graphic film installation.
The kids did a great job on the installation, it turned out cool as hell, and you can see this monster from a 1/2 mile away.

11 Likes

That’s frickking awesome of you! And on top of your other work

5 Likes

Yup^^^ this is so true. Thanks @Kgrim

4 Likes

FFS OUCH! Man at least you found the weakest link good-bye!

3 Likes

@420noob Yup, he talked a good game, but when it came down to it, couldn’t get it done. I posted WAY back about the Brass doors, that was probably one of my 1st “shop” posts.
The panic handles on those doors cost ME $12k, then had to replace the glass, and the top and bottom rails, with custom machine work.
I’ve built those doors before, and they won’t sell me the panics, they will only sell them to tempering facilities. Our tempering supplier hired me to come in and show them how to build those panic doors about 15 years ago when they opened their tempering line.

2 Likes

@shag Exactly!!! It truly sucks when I have to buy door blanks. Most of them are welded so I can’t disassemble them to do machine work, and trying to machine a built door isn’t much fun, been there, done that.
When I get jobs like the Govt test lab with a bunch of door blanks, I will typically do layout, map it all, then cut templates on the waterjet so it takes a miss measurement out of the equation and speeds the process up.

3 Likes

Cutting metal with water still sounds nuts to me.

4 Likes

No Kidding, but lot’s of stuff is sounding pretty crazy these days.

3 Likes

That’s how they slice bread… Now THAT freeks me out.
Like how the eff hell does the bread not get soaked?

1 Like

Think of it like this, you have a .040 thick blade that will cut thru pretty much anything. It’s actually not just water, garnet is mixed in and then pushed thru the nozzle at 65,000 psi
The nice thing about waterjetting metals, is there is no “heat affected zone” which you get with plasma and laser cutting. It pays big dividends when there is machine work to be done afterwards. You can machine HAZ’s, but it’s brutal on tooling. Plasma cut costs about 3.5x-4x to machine, laser cut costs about 2x-2.5x the cost of waterjet because the HAF makes the metal tough as fuck. Waterjet cuts cool, and doesn’t have a heat affected zone.
One bonus is, don’t mix in the garnet, run straight water, and I can cut plastics, rubber, foam etc. It’s a machine that can truly cut pretty much anything.

9 Likes

Alrighty most of those have been sent out, moving right along here…
Might I have have the following family members send me their safe address?

1. @Ghgrower ICC &Romulan if both avail.
  2. @204medismoke (2x MB-15)
  3. @Greenfingers ( headba, strawberry guava)
7 Likes

I get how it works it’s just cool. It also doesn’t quite compute at first cause water and steel but have seen water to make sculpture so enough pressure. Cool tools I know you had to play with them a little bit when you first got em.

4 Likes

When we 1st got the waterjet, I did a whole slew of work for Boeing doing jet parts. I did a whole bunch of thick stuff, up to 9”, so didn’t really play with it too much, it was straight into the storm to start make money. We did enough jet part work that it paid for basically 2/3rds of the machine in the 1st 2 months we had it.

8 Likes