Shantibaba the Magictrick to test a breedermale

The less worked a line is, the more work you have to put in

I find that anything before 2000 needs more work for indoor production

Even certain lines past 2000, have inherent intersex tendencies, as a commenter posted above, “we wouldn’t have fire without hermzzzz”

Gary Payton, unstable
Chems, unstable
Og kushes, unstable to a degree
Runtz, unstable
Gsc bagseed, unstable
Sour d ibl and associated releases, unstable

The answer is, to know what you are purchasing or growing and grow accordingly

Older lines are valuable
But half of these, were worked by others already
The other half, will need pheno hunting beyond the modern scale of tiny 10 plant pheno hunts

This all is a general description, but that’s the truth I find

10 Likes

As an example

My old buddy, he and his friend wanted to find the quality cherry pheno of serious seeds AK-47

I know y’all know about the cherry AK

But not everybody has this back in the day, why?

Because it’s not a common pheno

He and buddy, split 40 packs, that’s 400 seeds, of serious seeds ak47

They found 2 cherry phenos

One was a runt

So end number? 1 out of 400

People don’t want to hear this, but, if you buy older lines or seeds, this can be your work

11 Likes

I get the impression there must be more details too it. If you spray with ethylene you are doing what many people in curcubits do and encouraging female plants. I don’t see how any males are going to stay stable even the most true males. A stress test however achieves this. Perhaps a certain ppm of gaseous ethylene would induce just the right amount of stress and not make all males turn. EIther way it is interesting and thanks for posting!. wish i knew more about his method.

1 Like

Ethylyne is a natural byproduct of ripening fruits, vegetables, etc. It’s the reason people say you can put a ripe banana in a bag with green ones to ripen them faster.

In theory, you could put a ripe banana (apple, orange, etc etc etc) in the tent and it would absorb some ambient ethylene in the air.

I’m pretty sure it’s also commonly used in amendments and teas intended to sweeten, ripen, enhance terp production, etc for the end of flowering.

This has been said, but anything is possible.
Folks have said they possess a female you can not reverse.
If that is true and I do not know if it is, the same rule should pertain to the male.

And if they all will eventually reverse, wouldn’t that mean they are all prone to intersex traits to one degree or another?

1 Like

Few threads on male reversal if any are interested.

Personally, I wouldn’t smoke test a reversed male.

Nevils Post.

Yep, done that. I selfed the HazeC male. Theoretically their should be 25% YY. I was looking for them.
I got about 33% females and 66% males, no intersex. I progeny tested maybe 20 males, All produced normal male to female ratio’s and no intersex. The seeds had normal viability, so I guessed that YY would block seed growing in the first place.
None of the HzC male selfed, came close to being as good as HzC for breeding.
N.

6 Likes

From what I understand this wouldn’t work. Correct me if I’m wrong. Intersex traits are not directly tied to sex chromosomes. We don’t know why they happen. It could be a survival mutation etc. just look at grass (actual grass) reproductive traits and mutations. Several species possess genetic processes to prevent interbreeding because it damage the gene pool.

I also agree in a sense about male selection to a degree. A simple comparison would be to sperm. Every sperm is different coming for a man. The same is true with cannabis and pollen. I’ve been trying to read about mutations in a breeder males. With humans the activities in a man’s life effect traits they pass on like if you are reading a lot and working out. Smoking is a negative effect. Stress would likely have a similar effect on cannabis.

2 Likes

@hempy . That is very interesting. I have a strain that always gives me at least one male that produces a few small female flowers. These males are completely covered with resin. Last year one male selfed himself and produced a few seeds. I will need to investigate this strain further. :rainbow:

4 Likes

Shanti said it like that:
U just took ur male, u think its a really good one, right?

Then, u spray just this male down (NO FEMALES INVOLVED OR OTHER PLANTS).

If the male will produce seeds in his reversed female flowers, its not a “true” male.
Thats what he said.

NOT the “REVERSE” is the test, the test is if this male will grow out seeds in him self.

1 Like

I grew 2 AK-47’s from Serious.
I found the Cherry Pheno in the first plant xD

2 Likes

I see an obsession with herms for just about everyone who starts a new project with landraces. The first thing to do is get rid of the herms, along with all the genetic diversity that might be linked to the herm. There’s no telling how many good highs have been lost forever by doing that.

5 Likes

Yes! And ONLY because they dont want seeds in their buds. I say thats crazy talk man! :crazy_face:

I doubt the best high comes from a plant that seeds itself.

Cannabis lines that seed themselves en masse are generally (seed)-food lines and hemp fiber lines.

2 Likes

By definition seeded plants are not as potent.
Sinsemilla is due to the plant being able to put all its energy in the attempt to reproduce. If seeds a plant will use the energy acquired from photosynthesis to produce seeds instead of other things.

I agree with the male. There are two intersex trait classes in my opinion balls and nanners. I save the seed that were nanners in my personal labeled but all of the ball type I removed. I think the ball type would pollinate to early to allow any time processed to Sensi.

I have a theory it’s some sort of asexual survival mutation. I think the farther away generationally you pollinate the plant with an actual male from the gene pool the less likely the plant will attempt to pollinate itself but I’m speaking purely about nanners only and 100% hypothetical.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that. What I am saying is that herms might be linked to some wonderful highs, and by getting rid of herms you might get rid of a lot of other good stuff.

That’s why I’m thinking it might be better to find the pheno you like first, and then selecting for sexual stability. Just a thought… :thinking:

1 Like

I won the ICMAG GIveaway, FUCK YEAH!!! :smiley:

4 Likes

I would like to get into the subject. I crossed a male plant with an OG Kush. It turns out that I have already planted at least 30 seeds from this cross, all of which were males. Does it have any connection with this subject you are talking about?

3 Likes

No Sir it does not have any connection.

But that sounds sus.

I explain it one more time:
One Male, u think “I USE THAT FOR BREEDING, BUT I WANNA TEST IT WITH A TOOL FIRST”
We call that tool from now on the SHANTIBABA

Shantibaba is just a tool to test 1 male, no females involved, nothing just 1 plant is in this process
1 plant, alone in the room, this male.

So, Shantibaba is, when u spray down just ur male, to reverse it, and in a few weeks, if that reversed male has seeds in him self, it is not considert a “True male” and should not be used for further breeding projects
(Thats what shanti said, not me - I just wanted to talk and discuss what u guys think about that).
I thought about using this tool, next project.

U just seem unlucky as fuck :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve been unlucky but never that unlucky. Karma says your next seed is a female.

3 Likes

You do realise this is not some new phenomenon that shanti invented? Revearsal techniques to test for sexual instability has been around for a long time and shanti was not the first to do it.

2 Likes