Shishkaberry Preservation Run, Open-Pollination

Shishkaberry Update

Mixed up a batch of 100% pure Neem Oil (1 1/2 tsp per quart) with warm water and dish soap. Gave them quite the soaking…hopefully the Aphids will be destroyed in a few applications along with any egg and/or larva.

As you can see the seedlings desperately need some nutrients and a transplant in the near future…good news is temps are continuing to warm up this week and we’re looking at temps in the high 30’s this weekend. Thinking this should be a good time to relocate the babies to their new home with better lighting (315 CMH’s) and proper nutrients. :slight_smile:

At any rate here they are in all their glory…soaking wet and over watered. :man_facepalming:

Alaskagrown

38 Likes

Hungry little babies! That one in the middle seems to be very vigorous. The one on its right is tiny but seem to have the broader cotyledons. Lots of phenos to screen!

4 Likes

I just wanted to say I am so glad to see you back :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!

Plants are doing better the last few days after the Neem application. :slight_smile:

Think I’ll spray them again this evening.

I’ll take some more pics later…

Have a great Sunday Funday!!

Alaskagrown

12 Likes

Yup….they are definitely getting sprayed again today…little fuckers! :frowning:

Alaskagrown

27 Likes

Have you heard of Johnnypotseeds solution to soft bodied insects?

7 Likes

Insecticidal soap kills aphids really well. Good luck, they are absolute bastards. With plants that small it shouldn’t be too bad.

5 Likes

Of all the pests Aphids are definitely one of the easier to eradicate…thank god it’s not mites! :grimacing: Fuckin house plants! Lol My lady has a house plant addiction…we literally have almost 70 house plants! :crazy_face:Ha

I’ll give his recipe a go…thanks!!

Alaskagrown

18 Likes

so many growers from all over the map have been battling aphids this winter. For me it is the first time having to deal with them indoors. In a packed mom room with big bushy plants they are not easy to eradicate. They can proliferate into a real problem very fast. I’ve been using End All after following some guidance from @lunchpale and also a healthy dusting of diatomaceous earth on the soil surface and all around the base of the stem to help kill the emerging juveniles and the winged egg layers.

15 Likes

If you dont mind the mess, cover the floor with diatomaceous earth to slow their migration to other areas.

10 Likes

I ended up putting a konk mister in veg and sticky traps as well as DE , little cocksuckers didn’t know what hit ‘em , I sure hope you get ahead of these little shits

5 Likes

That was my last year. This year I had some outdoors, even moved some plants indoors and never had any issues. Good luck!

3 Likes

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!!

Let’s start with the bad and end on the good. :slight_smile:

The Bad - About two weeks ago I really hurt myself at work(Pouring concrete) and received a present in the form of a pretty bad Hernia that will need surgery…it’s on the left side and pretty damn painful so been off work and laid up the last two weeks. While in the ER getting tests ran they also found I have a relatively bad case of Diverticulitis!! Jesus….Been on a liquid diet the last week or so trying to get the inflammation down and ready for the Hernia surgery…Consultation is on the 29th and surgery not far after…So plants are still inside the house in solo cups needing a transplant and their future home.

The Ugly - Well the ugly is the plants…Aphids are still present as haven’t been sprayed as much as I’d like. Gonna give them a haircut this even and will take a bunch of pictures for the update.

The Good - The good is all the seedlings including the two little runts are alI alive just a little worse for ware. The project is still 100% moving forward just a slight delay in the timeline. :slight_smile: This is my 2nd attempt at these Shishkaberry and will go through till the end in glorious fashion! Lol. :crazy_face:

So that’s been my life the last few weeks…not what I would call ideal in anyway, shape, or form but that just life I guess. We deal with what life gives us the best we can! Sometimes I feel that if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have none at all! Haha

Hope everyone is happy and more importantly healthy…

Alaskagrown

35 Likes

aw dang, thats rough. Get better soon man!

4 Likes

Good luck with the recovery and pest battle!

5 Likes

Ouch! Been there that sucks. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

2 Likes

The “like” is for the good.

The “luck” is for the rest. Hope it’s good…take care!

5 Likes

I live in West County Sonoma, aphids completely wiped out the Organic Gravenstein crop last year. All the fruit was rejected by the canneries. Unlike grapes the farmers don’t carry crop insurance on apples.

3 Likes

Is this a weed strain? If so could you tell me about it

LOL, no but that is a brilliant idea. Gravenstein is an apple variety Apple - Gravenstein - tasting notes, identification, reviews.

Might be a good name for an Apple Fritter X.

2 Likes