Should trust level requirements be enhanced?

I don’t even know where to find my trust level. Is that visible to me? Not that it matters, I’m just curious.

2 Likes

I don’t know either I was just kidding.

2 Likes

Go into your profile page, click “expand” button on the top right corner, you should see a "Trust level: " mention appearing in the expanded area. Member = TL2, regular = TL3.

1 Like

Right, I’ve found it easiest to click on my icon at upper right, double click on the person icon, and that’ll bring you to your profile, then click on expand and your trust level is in there.

ETA: You can look at other people’s profile and see their trust level by double clicking on their icon.

2 Likes

Thank you. Mine just says regular. I don’t see any number.

The name <-> number relation for trust levels is explained in the first post of this thread : Explaining user trust levels and permissions

1 Like

This conversation is one of those conversations that goes round and round. It’s the nature of forums. There is always going to be friction between new and old members. Always going to be actual, and perceived injustice. It makes for interesting conversations, but not so much linear or productive conversation.

5 Likes

This is a good comment. The TL system is based on site participation and behavior. It is an automated system.

For instance, a user creates a thread but does not contribute to or read other threads … the long path to TL promotion. On the other hand, if a user broadly contributes and reads a variety of threads, the TL promotion is generally quicker.

From a behavior standpoint, if a user is silenced or receives a temporary ban, the TL can be demoted for a period of time. E.g. from TL3 → TL2. Such occurrences occur for a variety of reasons but primarily due to disruptive behavior.

The TL system helps to reinforce good behavior and promotes interaction between individuals.

For seed giveaways and such, the rules for participation can be tailored by the OP. One such rule or mechanism is to utilize the TL ranking to create a priority scheme. E.g. TL3+ are first in-line while TL1 or less are last in line.

As far as individuals who complete a co-op run and specifically a co-op run, they can receive the ‘overgrowers’ badge. This is an unique badge and a challenge to obtain. It is disassociated from the TL levels.

Similarly, a person doing a give-away can prescribe that those individuals holding an ‘overgrowers’ badge gets first dibs. Or have the highest priority.

And, as such things go, a rule could be included such that an individual needs to perform 25 push-ups in order to participate.

What is being said, there is some conflation of the site TL versus co-ops and give-aways. And, the main point of contention surrounds participating in give-aways. The TL rating is one mechanism that has been utilized to eliminate the noise, hit-and-runs, etc and to sort out who has priority to participate. The positive effect is that using TL reinforces the site.

Though, it is not perfectly aligned to everyone’s personalities and it doesn’t have to be that way across the board. The TL system is a convenient metric and provides some benefit. Someone could do a give-away with no rules for participation. Or, have a different way to determine who can participate. Maybe based on some other metrics such as join date.

It’s primarily up to the individual doing the work of the giveaway to set expectations for their run (within the rules of this site). Co-op participation has some additional expectations which the co-op team manages.

FWIW, having no barriers to entry is not advised.

19 Likes

Well that’s me out.

But agreed. If someone wants to say free seeds to anyone over 6’3” that is their business.

10 Likes

After having spent some time on a few other sites this does seem odd but maybe it’s a good way to weed out some people who are here for their own gain and share little/nothing. My main goals here are to journal my grows and not have to keep 3 million photos of my grows. That’s a joke but also to share and help others and the reason I’m still a plumber after 45 years.

As a breeder I may look to do some horse trading, if I can find a couple picticular strains. When I’m “trusted” more I’ll go throw a few offers out. I’ve been know to help beginners with freebies and will continue with that practice if allowed but again, at another level.

There are reasons for rules. As long as those rules are administered fairly most people won’t have any issues.

2 Likes

I don’t recall the last time I did push-ups. It would be a challenge.

5 Likes

Sorry newbie here, what is a push-up?

5 Likes

Push-ups. The exercise. It was a goofy example.

5 Likes

7 Likes

no doubt. i was in the army but was airborne the last 6 years. we did pull ups to tone up the fifth point of contact.

2 Likes

ahah got it now! Thanks @George too. Soory for you @sfzombie13 !

I’m not a native english speaker (and I’m high with dumby weed too) so I didn’t get the joke at first my bad

Indeed for giveaways it’s up to the giver whatever condition they are up to.

For co-op seed runs it seems a bit different, in that there seem to be templates explaining to split TL2 and TL3 subscriptions in the seed run wiki. There’s rules written there more or less : How does the Co-op Boxes work

I get that it’s up to the co-op group to discuss about that, so maybe this whole discussion should happen in that other thread for this group to take a decision.

I beg to differ. There is more than one thread on OG dedicated to muscles :muscle::grin:

2 Likes

@lophophora.ca has huge ones:

He also doesn’t give to charity because he’s shellfish.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Phew gimme 38 of those. Just in the nick of time.

6 Likes