Should trust level requirements be enhanced?

I’d like to move the discussion related to this topic here, and keep the lambsbread topic cleared of this discourse.
My previous bitching…well, I said it, and I meant it. Leave it.

19 Likes

When I first joined, I noticed that it was pretty easy to game the system. I tried to point it out, but I made the mistake of mentioning that it was easier to sign up for free seeds than to get into the private lounge. Then a bunch of people tried to send me free seeds to quiet me down, and I didn’t quiet down, so I was accused of only wanting free seeds. I stopped bringing it up, but I still think it’s a little messed up. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Right it is. But I won’t do it.

5 Likes

Definitely got my vote :heavy_check_mark:
Especially for new members new being anyone with less than 2 years to the site, and should at least be active on the site several times a week ( posting or reading) to become a trusted member. Anything longer than 3 years should be considered Regular

6 Likes

And let’s keep this friendly here. No need for name calling. I may have started all that myself, and I’m sorry for that. 4 years of frustration reached a tipping point for me that day. I lost my cool.

18 Likes

Any ideas are welcome. Pro’s for leaving as is are all welcome. Reasons to change things a bit are also encouraged. Obviously no system is perfect, and the one in place has gotten us this far, but maybe some allowances for us old fucks and those that take forever to reply or read slowly to take it all in( and often reply with a novel)that have been here awhile should be made, too.

8 Likes

The levels mean nothing. Trust is earned face to face or keyboard to keyboard.

Can’t speak to co-ops and that may be a legitimate concern but you can simply choose to do business with anyone you wish, or not.

I don’t look at pips I look at if I’ve seen you around :+1:

45 Likes

Yes, but for coop run signups it means everything.
Maybe it shouldn’t be called " trust" level. I feel untrusted at tl2

I do too

10 Likes

The pips on the old system were kind of a tell of who posted more and got more likes… as I recall a few people’s used to go all the way across the screen and wrap back or they’d have like 4 lines of pips if your looking at the mobile version of the site…

Then the new system came in, it was similar but with little differences and now the pips come with likes and participation but max out at a certain number of pips… not sure if they go away or not without participation though.

13 Likes

I know I may come off and rub some people the wrong way unintentionally, but I mean well. If your my friend you have a friend for life, that’s all I’m saying.

9 Likes

If I’m being totally candid and direct, I took issue with your comment towards another member and their newness because I too received level 3 membership status within the first 3 months of being active on this reiteration of Overgrow. It could have just as easily been me that you were signaling out.

What does newness have to do with it? I originally signed up to overgrow in 2001 or 2002, that’s over 20 years ago.

I remember the most legendary figures sending out the most quality and top notch genetics in effort of overgrowing the world to the newest of members. Looking back, I think I get it. It’s the newcomers who most need these great genetics, as they’re often the most limiting factor in achieving a quality result.

I think the biggest thing is equating these websites privileges with being trust levels, that’s just the verbage.

All that said, I feel there needs to be special considerations to accommodate members like @Upstate because it’s clear that they’re as regular, more so actually, than most. If there are levels of distinction, then there should be some to show recognition of that. Unlimited likes. Much love

20 Likes

I had just started scrolling through the list after I posted my name on a level 3 tier and when I started clicking on other peoples names realizing I was actually a level 2 and have been a “Regular” to this site almost daily for 3 years and seen some newb with actual level 3 status in less than 2 months it’s like WTF so I just used sense as an example to the mods and even said “ no offense “ but it’s really bull crap when people like us have spent so much time on this site and we have to “ sit at the back of the bus” when some new members get priority over us old members. Keep in mind in 3 years I’ve only gotten 1 seed run co-op years ago the Apollo 13 X Apollo 11 I believe?

Other than that I can count on 1 hand how many beans I’ve received from OG members here. ( Upstate is one of those)

3 Likes

I think if you do a seed run for the co op that should qualify you as tl3 for future coop seedruns. You give, you get. Simple.
I do think there is more to it though. Maybe replies given, or posts made should count more. It takes time to interact. Time that could be spent perusing topics.
I’m not saying flipping thru topics quickly shouldn’t count toward trust levels either, just maybe not so much or that other things should be equally factored.

8 Likes

When someone says no offense it usually is followed with some offensive stuff, just saying no offense doesn’t change how what’s said is interpreted.

For what it’s worth, I was definitely surprised when I saw I had achieved regular member status shortly after joining. And I don’t feel it’s right that some members with long-standing and significant valued contributions feel slighted due to how it’s achieved and allocated.

Feeling like you missed out is never fun. It brings a sadness near to read you’ve felt that here on Overgrow.
What are some of your most saught after varieties? What are you looking to most adding to your collection? Much love

3 Likes

That’s all I have to say,here’s another thing I’ve witnessed through the years I’ve sat out of 99% of all seed runs due to wanting other people to receive beans, but what I’ve noticed is almost all the seed runs list it’s the same people over and over hoarding all the seed give aways not sitting any out just always wanting a free handout but don’t give any seed runs to other members. But that’s my only complaint. The one seed run I really wanted was this one. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I personally always thought the trust system was misinterpreted by many. First issue is pips. These can be a quick indicator of someone who has accumulated likes. The issue is that it shows nothing of the content those likes were acquired for. They are pretty much valueless without crunching more data so are not something that I feel should be used to determine trust.

Then there is “trust levels”. These are also no real gages for trust. When you look at @LemonadeJoe for example, you will see he is listed as “member” trust level. This would be due to his activity in the open forum. I am guessing that all the work he does in the background doesn’t really cout towards his trust level. Now he is the server owner, member of team OG and a Moderator. So clearly his member status is not a good Indicator of his status or trust here.

I think in the end that people should gain trust through interaction with others. It cannot be as simple as looking at green dots or what title a member holds. Trust is earned over time and interaction, this is the only true way to earn it IMO.

37 Likes

I think if you do a seed run for the co op that should qualify you as tl3 for future coop seedruns.

Totally agree with this. It’s one of the things that I feel most embodies what it means to Overgrow. Much love

7 Likes

It would encourage more seedruns I think.

6 Likes

They are not. But when I see a bunch of green blips( its easy to build them up quickly too), and a tl3 status, and I’m new here and haven’t learned the ropes, I’d feel safer giving them my address than someone like me with a tl2. Maybe I shouldn’t feel safer. It is, after all, trust we are talking about.

I agree. Maybe people should gain trust levels in the same manner.

7 Likes

@Sbeanonnamellow dude I’m not begging for beans I’ve purchased 99.9% of all my beans . But if I did want to signup to receive beans (rarely) I have to get behind new members! What do you not understand about that?

3 Likes