(complete) Snowhigh Quicksilver Seed Run

Sold them to you? Low is way different the 0 hope he is a decent guy about it

3 Likes

Hey bud I’ll double check my notes and get back to you; sorry I’m lagging in that been pretty busy

3 Likes

Hi all,

Here is an update.

From the initial seed stock we have 2 males one female.

The two males have started producing flowers and even dropping pollen despite 18/6 lighting.

Is this a bad trait or any more info on this? Should I cull them?

From the second set of seeds I have a total of 8 seedlings with at least 2 off to a very slow start.

From all the different germination methods I used I found that I had the best results with a 12 hr soak in water/h202 and straight into sterilized soil, with a plastic bag / cling film covering the beer cups.

Close behind that was the worm castings.

Since the seeds were started so far apart my plan had been to grow the smaller seedlings until I could take at least one clone of each, and take clones from the initial three larger plants so I could have a somewhat even canaopy. I would then keep the larger females to grow outside or gift to a friend and cull the larger males.

Now that the larger male is flowering durring 18/6 im a bit stumped on how to proceed.

I definitely want to include all the plants, even the runts, which is why I’m taking so long to flip them.

If there is no negatives to using the “auto” flower male, should I just clone anyway and see if they root?

Thanks everyone for the patience and support! Good news is that these delays are going to make for one big girl by end of the outdoor season :blush:

Also - I should note there are no light leaks or anything but the small container size could be stressing them I suppose. Temps have been somewhat cold as well which I’m sure contributed to the slow start for the seedlings.

38 Likes

I think the smaller container made it auto but I really wouldn’t know if the early flowering male is bad or not. I’ve heard both side of the argument and really can’t decide for myself either. Very interested to see what more experienced growers will say about this.

7 Likes

I’ve seen/heard of it in PNG with a small pot will auto like once root bound I think it’s just a drought response and if put in a big pot will go back into veg and I wonder if it’ll do like the zamal where it’s a continuous flower ? I don’t think it’s a bad thing but I would just be assuming lol

4 Likes

Some discussion about this issue from other folks here:

10 Likes

I had an Ancient OG do this recently. Gorgeous plant. Very vigorous. Balls out at least 2-3 weeks before I was even ready to flip to 12/12.

8 Likes

Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback.

It seems based on the linked thread (thanks @Dirt_Wizard ) most people culled them.

I’m not sure how to proceed; I think I’ll take some clones and see if they root, then make a decision.

@DougDawson do you have any insight on removing auto flower males from the open pollination for this seed run?

Thanks again everyone.

9 Likes

Hey Bud, sorry to say I am not up to date on your run. I am at work but will go through it when I get home.

3 Likes

From what I understand it’s just a stress response if you up pot it it should go back into veg, I think, lol has it been in a small pot for awhile?

5 Likes

Yeah; they’ve been in small pots much too long apparently!

I didn’t realize this was a stress response in veg but always learning something.

I’ll up pot and see if I can get some clones to root and go from there.

My main concern is if I should pass that trait on in the open pollination but I don’t think anyone would normally keep a plant in such a small pot for so long, so maybe I’m over thinking it and under normal conditions it won’t be a problem.

Also - good news is it’s showing only male flowers.

Thanks everyone

12 Likes

in my unsolicited opinion, I think just for the sake of “preservation” people should probably not select for specific traits, good or bad.

love the description of this strain,good luck!!

9 Likes

I would not cull that plant provided you don’t see pistils anywhere. I’d call it good fortune!:crystal_ball:

6 Likes

@killabud well it was kinda solicited :joy: so no worries and thanks for the feedback. I think I agree with exception of hermies but I’m sure in some cases/lines even then it’s best to keep them for preservation and the ability to further work the line down the road.

@GREANDAL thanks bud I agree.

I’ll up pot and take some clones and go from there.

The extra time will hopefully let one of the runts catch up so I can take a clone / top all the others then get this show on the road!

14 Likes

Sending you positive vibes brother. :green_heart::herb:
I’ll be riding along to see what’s going on in your growspace…
Has the plant picked on well after you up potted?

5 Likes

Thanks brother!

The larger plants that were auto flowering are looking better outside. I was able to collect some pollen from the males incase I have issues with clones, I still have some of their pollen to add to the mix.

The smaller plants are growing well, still not clear on sex but hopefully soon.

2 scragglers are about 1/2 the height of the others.

Should I top the taller plants to let the shorter ones catch up?

33 Likes

They are all looking gorgeous in there :raised_hands:

Are you planning to SCROG or LST them at all ?
If not I think you should just let them be who they are haha. I don’t think you need to top any of them.

But they all look happy, so your doing an awesome job :green_heart:

2 Likes

They are looking perfect my man.

3 Likes

Nice growth! Seemed to have picked on well…
Let them grow out just like that. They’re looking good :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Thanks guys; I’m going to just let them grow naturally. I was hoping to keep the canopy even but it is what it is and I think letting them grow naturally will be the fastest at this point.

11 Likes