Male flowering under 18 hours light?

Hey gang.
So, I’ve got this male Kashmir plant. He started growing balls while under 18 hours light.
I thought it was just pre-flower expressions.
But he just kept growing more clusters. Then last week I touched him and pollen went everywhere :rage:

Anyone ever seen a male do this before?

He is in a little solo cup, and is mildly stressed from being root bound. But not too bad. Mostly very healthy. But I’m still surprised by this.

Just wondering if he’s expressing some super-recessive autoflower type behavior.

6 Likes

Thinking maybe an auto instead of a photoperiod plant, honestly the only explanation.

Photos will show sexual expression under 18hrs but won’t go full flower til 14hrs light… autos don’t care, especially when the taproot hits bottom…

4 Likes

It’s definitely a child of full photo parents. Pure Kashmir from the seed run I did last year.
And he didn’t start flowering on a typical autoflower schedule (25-30 days after germ) he’s been hanging out since sprout a few months ago.
It’s so weird. I can only assume it’s the root-bound stress that triggered this.

2 Likes

Yes. The boutabust syndrome.

4 Likes

Root bound or not, I have never seen a photo flower in more than 14hrs of light…male or female…

Maybe some pics?

3 Likes

Sadly. I chopped off the whole top part of the plant (all pollen sacs were on top) to keep him from pollinating anyone else.
He’s still growing fine. If he starts throwing more sacs as he gets bigger, I’ll definitely upload some pics…

1 Like

I’ve seen that before with Blueberry lines.

2 Likes

Think you figured it out already. I tend to toss any photo that will flower no matter what I do. Some males, especially Afghani lines, will flower as soon as the tap root has to curl around. Sometimes you can keep pullin balls off and they’ll eventually snap out of it, but the ones that don’t, those get tossed. Could try taking a clone and seeing if that fares better since no tap root.

6 Likes

Duke Diamond says he tests his males by letting them get rootbound to see if they start to flower or not. I had a C99 male pop balls everywhere when I let it get rootbound in a 3x3. Tossed it.

6 Likes

I had it happen with a Super Lemon Dragon from 7 East not too long ago

(not root bound)

2 Likes

Get a spray bottle and spray the crap out
Of your females with a bunch of water…should be able to neutralize a significant amount of the pollen to mitigate some of the damage…

But does sound like an Autoflower

Good luck

1 Like

I have seen photo-males do that before, but they usually need to be triggered first.
Low light, or being shaded out can do it.

I had one that once it got triggered it would not go back to veg, not even under 24 hour light.
I added "N: to the feed too.
I tried for about a month with no luck.

I did learn, if you wanna keep a male putting out pollen but not a lot and not real fast.
Try to get him to go back to veg.
Just about all males are hard to re veg if they get too far into flower, for me anyway…
Peace
shag

5 Likes

yep, i ran mine 24 hrs straight for weeks too to no avail… didnt have a triggering light event for mine.

4 Likes

It’s the container size, maybe age esp if its an old clone. :nerd_face:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Rootbound or random auto flower genetics in the gene pool expressing themselves.

1 Like

To reveg a male, I trim him back and keep plucking hiss balls as they appear. Eventually, he’ll go back into veg, sometimes as fast as 2 weeks. Hope this helps :pray:

5 Likes

I took this advice, and that male went into the trash this morning. :+1:
The hunt continues…

2 Likes

I have dropped regular seeds and have had one or two autos before.

1 Like

I have :man_shrugging:t2:
It’s called stress and should be culled unless you don’t care about those things.

2 Likes

Yep I’ve seen it too, only a couple times but they’re out there.

2 Likes