Solo cup challenge tips?

Hey guys im looking for any tips on growing start to finish in a solo cup! I’ve never done it but looking to enter myself into the Fall 2021 solo cup grow off. Do you guys trim the roots on your solo cup plants when they start to get root bound? I assume pretty well all other factors to growing are the same.

6 Likes

Water every 45 minutes :+1:

5 Likes

Coco and a drip line

2 Likes

ive got a tiny water pump would it be crazy to make a little solo cup RDWC lol

2 Likes

I work 12 hour shifts so may need to figure out some automated watering :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Root tending is what I’m most curious about. Last time I grew in solo cups I couldn’t keep the roots out of my saucer.

1 Like
7 Likes

From my small amount of experience… be super mindful of over fertilizing and the ph coming out the bottom

6 Likes

They like a radio playing smooth jazz.

3 Likes

How many transplants are allowed?

1 Like

As many as you like so long as the container is less than 500ml.

2 Likes

When it starts wanting water all the time, you can move it to a cup with small drain holes on the sides an inch up, instead of holes in the bottom. So water sits a little while in the bottom after feeding. If you get your waterings close to perfect, you don’t even really need drainage holes and can go by feel/weight.

They get a tight little ball of roots. Theres no way around that, and I don’t think theres anything special anyone does about it. They finish right before it really starts to mess them up. Thats why its cool. You get a lot up top for whats in that cup.

2 Likes

Strawberry truffle strange looking little plant tricoma gold genetics hope it’s a female lol

1 Like

What the P9061033

3 Likes

:joy: i think we have a winner!

1 Like

For with the solo cups or any plants I have In smaller containers if it starts to get root bound I usually pull em out and kinda loosen the dirt from the roots(gently don’t want to stunt or shock the plant) and then replant in the container

2 Likes