Spitfire's perpetual nightmare(fka SourD hole)

Welcome! This is the reason for this adventure.

I’m obsessed with this @Shoreline ECSD bx1 my friend found on his first try. We’ve both grownit a couple times and I’m madly in love with it. Currently blowing through the jar the plant in the picture produced😍. Not sure how it stacks up to other diesel. I’ve smoked away memories of encountering diesels 20 years ago.

Here’s the start of my small(only flower 3-4 plants in a tent at a time) Top Dawg Sour Diesel hunt courtesy of @Jinglepot for the 2022 fall co-op box. A good friend of mine and fellow OG’r @Heavenlygoo provided me with a few to start. :metal:

Here are the first 2, placed in a wet paper towel late on a friday night and popping out on sunday morning.

Into soil they went that afternoon. Using Mother’s Groundswell, adding about 40% perlite for the seedlings. Groundswell is 50% of the cost compared to my previous go to, a 1:1 mixture of FFOFxFFHF and then mixing in 30% perlite. May go ahead and pay the money because I found a good working formula with said soil and GH floraseries 3 part.

Day 3. Both breaking soil and appear healthy.

Day 4. On the Left: Shoreline ECSD bx1 clone, after 6 weeks in water, showed root developement and placed in soil a few days prior. Both Top Dawg seedlings appear healthy, with green stems and first true leaves developing.

Day 9. Both TD SD have 2nd set starting.

Seedling closeups.

ECSD clone is really starting to liven up after being transplanted into a full solo cup a day prior and having a rough time as the soil ball exploded and was very wiggly at the stem. The wire tie is no longer needed.

47 Likes

Nice frost on the babies as well. It would appear you have a frosty future my friend.

HG

3 Likes

Super, super, super nice looking bud.

Hope those babies are twice as good! :+1:

4 Likes

Wow, great looking cut! I have some of @Shoreline ecsd bx2/3, and this makes me look forward to them.

I’ll also be interested to hear how they compare to top dawg’s.

10 Likes

Doooo ittttt. Unless we got lucky on the first bean, I can’t wait to see what any of these diesels can truly do to my nose :heart_eyes:.

4 Likes

Day 12. Not much happening. little bit of color variation across the leaves. one’s a little wavy looking. I suspect I’m not letting them dry enough before I’m adding water. extremely green on seedlings. Been over a year since I’ve popped beans and I’ve only popped 5 in my life prior to these 2.

Contemplating an early xplant, maybe day 14.

7 Likes

Went ahead and tossed em into 1 gallons.

8 Likes

2 weeks +2 days since germination

Got some nice growth. Still fighting the urge to water them. Little bit of red stems going on.

The transplant from solo to 1 gallons went about as smooth as I expected. I have bad luck with seedlings.
knocking stuff over and causing turmoil are a normal occurence. Dropped a seedling in my washing machine once.
I am still using Mother’s Groundswell with added perlite. I wetted the lower half and then dumped more soil around a cup to make the impression. Added 1 tsp/gal Cal mag to tap water that I’ve had sitting out to dechlorinate. root balls ended up being extremely brittle and we’re falling apart as I was dropping them in and I didn’t want to disturb them from where they landed so they were a little crooked and some training was in order.

Picked up an aero cloner that will be arriving tomorrow. I’ve had okay luck rooting clones but after a scare and almost losing the ECSD and it taking 6 weeks to show nubs, $$$ take it.

ECSD is off to the moon. it looked like it was dead 3 weeks ago, doubled in size.

12 Likes

That’s some crazy growth on your clone.

2 Likes

ya she’s a runner! one of our stretchiest cultivars. I warn everyone that gets a cut. :upside_down_face:they never listen.

2 Likes

Both seedlings are stacking nicely and starting to throw nodes.

Holding 76 degrees with 65% rh under a Spider Farmer sf1000, hung at “18. single 10” fan for wind, and an ac Infinity "4 online sucking the hot air out.

Received my aero cloner and soon as I see fit I’ll top the lings and root the tops for fun.

Will be updating less, maybe bi-weekly until sexed/start of flower(Jan 1st). Any changes I’ll drop by and add. Don’t wanna flood the forum with barely changing pictures and the same old vegging plants.

:v:

9 Likes

Love sour D

One of my favorites

I’ll tag along for the show

4 Likes

Quick update. TD#1 is doing great.

TD#2 is showing what I believe is over-watering signs.
Cotyledon and first true leaves are yellowing as well.

6 Likes

Since last posting, both plants drooped a little. The soil was pretty dry but pot was still heavy. Felt as if the soil on the bottom was packed and wasnt drying out quick.

This morning I decided they were dryish enough for another watering and ready for some nutes as TD2 has lower yellowing and has fallen behind TD1. After watering to 25% runoff with my go to 1:1:1 of 3 part GH Flora nutrients and calmag, the tops are reaching up. Increased SF1000 to full send @ 20 inches above.

Shoreline ECSD in the back of the above pic got in a fight with my exacto knife and new cloner I paid someone $90 to r&d $20 in plastic.
My first attempt at aeroponic cloning. 78° with 65% humidity inside the grow tent. Using a cycle interval timer for 15/15 minute on off cycle. Added 25% strength nutes to water. :man_shrugging:

Snagged a tiny pot of Venus fly traps randomly at Aldi yesterday. gonna grab a few more and give the gnats something to do if they come back😉

Since I’ll be taking water from and maybe feeding to my plants, here’s the aquarium with living Flora we are cycling to get fish soon (damn nitrite).

Will report back if anything changes. :v:

5 Likes

Oh boy the bits are showing. This is TD1, as 2 has no sign of sex yet. Looks like it may not be a winner. too soon to put money down.

This 2nd one has me concerned cuz there’s definitely a little 2nd whisp off to the right…

5 Likes

“he looks like a man”

We got a boy. a stinky little boy much more smell than it’s unsexed counterpart.

the little stem thing by the ball, what is? I know I’ve seen it before pulling it out in a diagram and every plant that I’ve had show up male has this but every picture I look up online doesn’t.
so…the F¿

What’s everyone think about Top Dog Sour D male crossed with Shoreline East Coast Sour Diesel female lol? starting it on flowering today :joy:. I may not even keep it. I’ve never had a male stay in my tent after ID.

7 Likes

Sounds like a great idea to me :rocket: :rocket:

You can let it develop long enough to have male flowers and then cut a stem and put it in a cup of water elsewhere. You have to be careful not to let it go too short or long but it’s possible.

7 Likes

interesting and usual fashion I have a couple questions. when you say let it go shorter long do you mean the time it’s in the cup? so if I can flower this for 4 weeks and cut the flowers and put them in water, do they continue to develop a little bit, or does this “preserve” them live till you use?

2 Likes

Yea, the idea is to preserve the male cutting long enough that it can drop pollen. Consider like how long you could keep a clone alive in a cup of water. Well if you took a cutting off of a male a week before it was going to drop pollen and preserve it for the week, you can probably get enough pollen to make a decent number of seeds without having to spoil your whole grow.

But it’s a bit tricky because it can only grow in a cup for so long while it cannabalizes nutrients from the leaves and stems. You wouldn’t want to take a cutting from a male if it wasn’t developed in flowering at all.

3 Likes

okay cool. I’ve never grown a male before. How far into flower do I need to go for some pollen, on average? 5 full weeks of 12/12 with good condition enough for a little? if I notice it’s not growing up with desirable traits I’m going to toss it.

I have nothing else flowering right now and entertained my curiosity by letting this go in 12/12 for a while.

Planning on doing a deep clean of my entire grow room and the things in it after an 11-day trip I have over Christmas. Hopeful it doesn’t completely crap on my winter/spring flowering. In the end if I get seeds I know where they came from!

1 Like