- syzygy's journal - the clown show

Very good point. It’s a risk for sure.

Realistically though It’s like once every few weeks they end up in there and only go near the plants if I’m in there, otherwise they peak their head in and turn around if I’m not in there. The GSD came in and sat down because it was time to go for a walk and was confused why I was in there pulling out plants to take pictures (raining).

But ya, from a pest control perspective you are absolutely correct. I’m still going to allow it though, I’d rather they go in that area than the mother area, which they do not go near.

That sounds awesome! Agility classes should be really cool. Good way to bond with your dog, great gentle training that is fun for the dog. Can be mentally as well as physically stimulating too. If my GSD was an only dog I’d definitely be looking at doing that also.

14 Likes

Devils HP 2

Devils HP 3

Redeye Jedi

Spirit HP 1

zSHP1

Also some alcohol arrived… Thanks for the heads up @Greasy - this appears to be much cheaper than Everclear locally - even with the shipping included…

Not sure when I’m going to have time to mess around with it, but is nice to have for when the time comes.

30 Likes

when the PM breaks out here before the rains you can see it on everything that the dogs can stuff their face in along the paths/sidewalks, and nothing else. mostly the same with the septoria too. i had two plants last year grown from seed that i am pretty sure got PM from a squirrel running up and down the fence line stuffing his face in all our bud plants on the block. i caught him doing it several times lol, he looked deranged. surely the bugs can trap in a dog’s fur and move easier than plant matter?

edit: if you walk in archive theres a big sign saying no dogs beyond this point specifically because they want to protect the clones (that you walk through on the way to the register/buds which i never understood)… so i guess my thoughts being if its good enough for them its good enough for me as a strategy.

8 Likes

I agree it is a risk. In my case it is a small risk, but still a risk. I haven’t had a pest in the flower area that I can recall while I’ve had my dogs other than fungus gnats. Pests can also hitch a ride in on other insects like fungus gnats and flies. It’s not the end of the world for me if I get some pests, and even if I have to shut everything down as a result I’m OK with that.

I am around plant pests all the time and I am a much bigger vector for spreading these things than the dogs. I don’t know anything about Archive but I imagine they don’t want to risk dogs messing with the plants as well. Some dogs would urinate on the plants, eat them, pull them, or just break them. Also is an unnecessary risk in addition to that so it makes sense. I know that if I had to choose between my dogs going near my plants or people shopping for clones for their own garden I’d pick my dogs every single time.

Ironically the only area I ever have any issues in the dogs don’t even go anywhere near ever. I do sometimes go in that area without changing or showering when I’ve been in pest hot-spots.

So ya I agree, you guys are right. It is a risk. I’m OK taking the risk for now, especially because they rarely even go in there. I am also aware of where they’ve been recently and would obviously have them nowhere near plants if they were in concerning areas, IE when the puppy was running through and laying in dead weeds -

Keeping it plant related here are the cuttings - old lav Jack doesn’t look great but is showing signs of improvement. New lav jack looks good. Triangle Kush and Pinesoul appear to be recovering the quickest. HLG has been on for about a day now.

Here’s the new Lav Jack

These are in an area the dogs never go (near my mother tent).

30 Likes

Yeah, with me it’s just more of an “eliminate all potential problems so that if one does arise, I know better the possible source”-type thing. And then know better the best course of action to deal with it, too.

They all look deranged. Every squirrel looks deranged. I despise them. They’re just rats with bushy tails.

Those are awesome pics, good-looking dog for sure, but holllyyyyy shit would I freak out if mine was surrounded by brush and vegetation and whatever like yours is in those pics haha.

Plants look good! Haha.

12 Likes

Ya I agree with your approach, just realistically it’s not a big issue in my case. I pose a much bigger threat given that I’m around pests much more than they are.

Ya I know haha. Needless to say she was nowhere near any indoor plant area for a while after that. She was having fun trying to find her nero ball in all that brush.

17 Likes

I never really had a problem with squirrels and always kinda enjoyed watching them in the trees. They crossed the line though when they recently gnawed the power cables on some of my favorite Christmas decorations. It’s hunting season!

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s what they do, just like rats. “Awwww, they’re so cute! Look at them! They eat with their hands!” Fuck them. Kill them haha!

Did you know that, like, manufacturers or whoever have been putting soy in their plastic? I just found that out from the exterminator when we had a rat in our garage and it kept eating through some drainage line in our washing machine, had to get it replaced three times before the rat finally got killed. It also gnawed on the casings around the light bulbs on these string lights we have hanging in there, I’d find tiny bits of plastic all over the floor in the garage when I’d walk in there every morning. The exterminator told my girl that she needed to drive her car every day because there’s parts made with that soy plastic and maybe rats might get in there, too, even though she doesn’t park it in our garage.

My point is, that’s probably why the squirrels are gnawing on your power cords, because of the soy in the plastic. Either that or they’re just Devil Beasts. You can see it in their eyes. They’re evil. I say shoot them all haha!

And sorry for the anti-squirrel rant, syzygy haha…

8 Likes

They even make a special hot sauce tape to stop the little fucks from eating your car wiring.
Special hot sauce tape.

5 Likes

My Dutch shares the same feelings towards squirrels so by extension so do I.

I was thinking about pests and dogs more and more and the only pest I fear (and restrict access to things like the weedy areas in warmer seasons) is ticks. They are on flea and tick medicine but still, ticks are the worst. Will take Spider Mites, Powdery Mildew, Aphids or Thrips over ticks any day…

10 Likes

my main concern at first was just the LEDs hurting her eyes, but upon witnessing a pretty wild year for pests outside it sort of morphed into something more. she can romp around in the main room and never comes in contact with ferts or anything, then air is filtered before entering the tents. happy with that compromise and ya if the plants get sick oh well lol.

5 Likes

Triple Sunshine A

Redeye Jedi

Devil’s HP 1

Spirit HP 1

Spirit HP 2

33 Likes

Man, that Triple Sunshine A’s gotta be a TK leaner, right? Plants look good, anyway; love how “nug-y” they are, nary a long, running cola in sight haha.

9 Likes

There’s a :pinching_hand: of ssdd in the flowers for sure but the structure is damn near 100% TK, all day :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Should be fun to compare the 2 in the near future! I’m interested to see how it stacks up in many different areas.

Still not sure what I’m doing with the new Triple Sunshines. I would have thrown them in the flower tent but I’m not sure if I’m going to want to veg the clones in there at some point (more vertical space).

I have to decide soon haha…

12 Likes

Those og x g13hp are looking sweet! Love the fall colors on them. My electric cowboys are a bit behind I think at day 42ish. Thinking they will be ready at 9 weeks, one or two are already looking close. I just got a cut of my favorite one to root, hopefully it revegs successfully as it was like a 3-4week cutting - it’s the stretchiest most OG, with zero of the g13hp incense/spice smell that I kinda love haha. I still can’t figure out what that damn smell is, it’s like pine spice incense… and I smell it on my walks outside sometimes.

11 Likes

Hopefully you have better luck than I’ve had on your reveg! Good sign that you were able to get it to root at least.

I’m still halfway tempted to reveg the REJ & DHP 1. Or the Spirit HP 1. I know I was excited about the Spirit HP 2 but either the DHP or SHP1 smells insanely good and pretty unique. REJ is ridiculously frosty and smells good too. It looks solid white in person. Still haven’t been able to do it justice in pictures. These are about Week 8 I believe as of yesterday. Think it was October 18th that I flipped them

I’m still not confident at identifying 88g13hp phenos despite having grown quite a few of them. I feel like my DHP 2/3 are 88 leaning but I may be wrong.

15 Likes

Yeah I think the cutting will reveg, I’ve only had 1 flowering cutting never work itself out of flowering mode before. Full reveg of the final plant seems more finicky in my experience.

So from the electric cowboys - I’m finding the G13hp phenos to be a bit less stretchy, with more of a candelabra bushy structure, OG phenos a bit more vertical in growth and stretchier. The main distinction I know for g13hp is that pine/spice/incense aroma, it’s not in the resin rub but they kind of just radiate the smell - opening the tent is a nice whiff of it. When I grew heavenly hashplant, that pheno had a similar thing going, so I’m assuming it’s a g13hp thing. It’s also noticeable after smoking those phenos - incensey aroma left in the room. In veg I noticed a vegetal - almost green pepper stem rub for the g13hp phenos too. The g13hp phenos were easier growing plants as well, they handled transplants, new lights, etc with less stress.

Resin rub for my OG outlier is sweeter, earthy, light citrus, the g13hp phenos are more foul funk earth.

14 Likes

Great info , thanks! Most are fairly uniform and compact, other than SHP 2.

Very interesting to me. I always assumed that was the Diablo OG in my (Diablo OG x 88g13hp) from a few years ago. The whole area reeked like a catholic church when I vaporized it and always thought that was really cool.

14 Likes

Yeah I love bud that makes the whole room smell of incense. It’s usually a trait of sativas like hazes colombians etc… but some Indicas do it too! I’m pretty sure it’s a g13hp thing, unless katsu bubba and OGs are known to do that… but I don’t think so. Have seen others mention a similar incense thing from g13hp crosses.

14 Likes