The Bank of Stank

Flower Tent #1 has just settled after stretch and is now starting to flower. I made a more even canopy by adjusting the height of the smaller plants using old bookshelf speakers. I’m most excited for the Platinum Kush Mints in the back right corner. I’ve never grown a plant this way; vegging an extra month and stripping most everything besides growth tips up until flower. It’s the tallest one in there aside from maybe the Super Lemon Haze in the back left. Slurricane looks like crap and always has for me. Time to start letting go of cuts and this will be the first out. The bud from it last round was just OK, but I may have pulled a little early. This is its last chance to impress me.

Flower Tent #2 was just recently flipped to 12/12. It’s going to be a jungle in there. I’m still not 100% sure of sex on 1 of the 4 MotorBreath x Blowfish. At this point I’m kind of hoping for a male just to get some more space.

18 Likes

can you make any conclusions about the sundae driver or purple punch at this stage?

those cuts are available locally and I am trying to decide whether they are worth growing and breeding.

3 Likes

I know you weren’t asking me, but I haven’t heard many good things about the Purple Punch, other than it looks REALLY good on IG. How things look on IG is way more important than how they smoke haha. And the Sundae Driver I know a pack auctioned for like $20,000 or something insane like that. Any time a pack of seeds gets bought for a price that high, I get incredibly leery.

Keep doing what you’re doing, dude! I’m way more interested watching the stuff you’re working with now, those landraces and the rarer strains. That’s where the magic lies. Pretty stoked to see how those De Lat crosses turn out.

7 Likes

Thanks minitiger. I am pretty much coming to the same conclusions. I am researching the cuts available from a good local nursery that do not have cookies in the genetics. It’s slim pickings. out of 15 available cuts there are 10 cookies hybrids, and just 5 strains that do not contain cookies.

Agreed about the purple punch I tried some and thought it was very generic and the high was weak with little medicinal value.

The breeder associated with purple punch is from hawaii, so why would they have the larry og from southern california or the GDP from oakland? I know hawaii has always been kind of an international hub for the cannabis trade, but I’d rather get the genetics from where they originate.

Plus I am already growing something similar enough to make the purple punch redundant. I have Ken Estes “berrry larry” (goji og x larry og x gdp) from oakland currently in veg.

There was another cut called T-1000 available. they said that the genetics are triangle kush and purple urkle, which both come from humboldt, but said the cut was bred in Portland. Why? I have never seen real purple urkle or real triangle kush in Portland, so that cut doesn’t sound promising.

The Sundae Driver genetics are kind of a polyhybrid soup, but that could be interesting if the cut is vigorous with dense modern buds and calyx to leaf ratio. It sounds like that is not the case based on what @schmarmpit is seeing though.

I will probably just pick up an old 90’s blueberry cut, and skip these modern hype strains.

6 Likes

Well, cuts get sent around all the time, so it’s not out of the realm that somebody in Hawaii would have a real-deal Larry and GDP cut. Still, to what end is the purpose of that cross? What really is the point of crossing two strains that were great on their own? And how did they make it? They obviously reversed one of them, which I can’t get behind.

That’s right, I forgot you were growing that one. Sounds good enough to me…

Therein lies the problem. Again, what’s the point? They were good enough on their own (although I think GSC and all of her derivatives are pretty much garbage, but a lot of other people seemed pretty happy with straight GSC). The only conclusion I can come to is that these are people who are just trying to make a quick buck, with no thought given to the greater implications and the issues that are going to arise from fucking with the gene pool the way they are. Maybe hopefully winning a Cannabis Cup or getting a mention in High Times so they can, again, sell a bunch of seeds and make some money.

I dunno. I’m actually in a pretty good mood today haha. Transplanted most of the vegging plants into their flowering containers, things are looking good… But whenever the topic of these flavor-of-the-month crosses gets brought up, I just fly off the handle. Sorry, @schmarmpit

Fuck yeah, dude. Grab something that real work was put into. Fuck Sundae Driver…

7 Likes

It’s a bit too early still. I’ll reserve my judgments until I can finally get to smoke some. I can say they are both relatively slow in veg. I’m not a fan of this Sunday driver structure of long thin stick branches that need support right after stretch. The PP is not stretching much at all so far and is densely structured in comparison.

I really enjoy hearing your perspectives on this stuff and take no offense at all. Being from a non friendly state, it’s pretty cool to be able to get clones straight from Cali now. I’ve hardly ever done anything but start seeds for the past 15 years and can’t wait to try these hype cuts for myself. Most dispensary weed I’ve had has been harvested early and over dried. Maybe mine will be better. Maybe it will be unimpressive like everyone says. I’m going to be extremely critical though, and will only be keeping cuts that check several boxes for me, mostly effect, smoothness, smell/taste, maybe yield, ease of growth. I’ve got to thin out this growing collection.

I will say that the Mendo Breath has been fantastic smoke. I am keeping that one for now. Slurricane is getting a 2nd chance because I harvested a bit early, but will likely be dropped because I hate how it grows and the bud wasn’t that great the first time.

10 Likes

Interesting with your take on the slurricane. The buds I’ve tried before were very tasty and was decently potent. How long did you let it go the first time?
Yea, this cut is a pain with the lanky mess, so far in veg, the cowboy cut isn’t behaving any better :sweat_smile:. I’m blooming the Clonify cut for the first time, it went in with a cut of Purple unicorn just over two weeks ago. they were growing neck and neck in the stretch until yesterday, PU overgrew her and is continuing the stretch lol. Just realized I don’t have a updated pic of that set.

That’s kind of disappointing to hear. But I got a cut mostly so I can make my own batch of norcal Dosido x purple punch to hunt through and share. But yea, as scharmpit says the structure of this cross can be a bit annoying to work with.

6 Likes

I took it down at 8 weeks, probably could have used another week or more. The buds were ripe enough to get a fairly good idea. The smell is decent as was the stone, but I’m really looking for more than decent. Plus the Slurricane’s lanky structure just annoys me to no end. I’ve never had a plant where the branches just break off the main stem if you don’t support them. Weak sauce. If I don’t get blown away then there’s not much hope for becoming a mom in my garden. Plus I have like 6 strains that have some kind of cookies lineage in it and that’s just absurd.

This round I’m really looking forward to trying some classics like the Bubba Kush, Super Lemon Haze, and even the Crippy. But I’ll never stop popping seeds. Just a few months in and I’m already getting kind of tired of cloning and mother maintenance, and I haven’t even flowered most of these out yet! It will be several months more of whittling down this stable. But popping seeds and growing plants that no one has ever experienced is definitely more exciting to me. As someone who values variety over most other things, popping seeds will always be part of my process.

11 Likes

Oh, what do you use for a camera? Your pics always look soo nice lol. That or my leds just way too glaring to my iPhone

2 Likes

Thanks! First thing is I dim my lights as low as possible. I use my galaxy S10 phone camera for most shots. I use pro mode and again take brightness way down and use a color filter (typically 3000k) before I take the shot. It’s easier to add brightness to a dark shot than try to correct too much brightness.

If I’m trying to win picture of the month then I use a Canon T7i body with a good quality zoom lens, turn off the fans, maybe even use a tripod.

8 Likes

Awesome, I can’t dim but I can raise lights or unscrew a few bulbs lol

2 Likes

The plants are just pumping right along at 21 days now . Some are not as happy with my soil mix as others. I gave the Plat Kush Mints and Ice Cream Cake some fresh compost on top to try and ease their hunger. Maybe a light bleaching with the PKM. The soil is probably a bit too hot for the Slurricane but I’ve been here before with this one, it still makes nice buds. Everything else is ripping it up.

Historical for plant name reference.

And tent #2 is halfway through stretch, looking to be a pretty even canopy by chance. Thankfully the MB x BF cross has a nice open structure, the only way I could be managing this many plants crammed in here.

Clearly things like plant spacing and avoiding leaf-to-leaf or wall contact have never been part of my normal practice. Surely if I still had PM issues they would be surfacing by this point. I still check by habit but recently have been lightening up on the whole issue. I feel lucky to have caught it early and knocked it out quickly with sulfur.

16 Likes

How’s that Tampa Crippy? Have you grown that before? I grew up in Tampa. It’s a shithole haha, but I definitely got some good weed there in the mid-90’s.

5 Likes

This is my first time growing all of these except for the Slurricane. It sure does smell good so far and is putting on the frost earlier than others.

4 Likes

i find strains like how you described slurricane are good for over crowding a 4x4 and toss a bunch of bamboo stakes or trellis net for support if u like them. the open space allows bottoms nugs to be hit with light and i think i heard that was a 10 week strain maybe try letting it go closer to that ? unless you prefer milky clear trichs

3 Likes

I bet you’re right about it being well-suited for that style of growing. I’ve never really tried anything quite like that as I seem to always be running a variety of stuff.

Last time I cut Slurricane at 8 weeks because I had PM spreading and needed it out of there. Definitely needed more time. But I am going to let this one go long to make sure it’s good and done.

9 Likes

Interesting, your bloom time lines up with the slurricane I have going :laughing:. I have a perpetual cycle in the works, so plants of all stages, just funny I flipped a slurricane same time you did your tent. Though I should of vegged her longer. No updated pics yet though.

2 Likes

Just got caught up on your thread finally. Looking good in your tents as always.

3 Likes

Nice to see you around, @Grohio. Did you take a break from OG? I feel like I haven’t seen you post in a while. How’d those Bandaid Hazes turn out for you?

3 Likes

Yea i took a break from growing in general. Planned on it being a longer break but its hard to stay away. Lol. Unfortunately, I never did finish out the bandaid. But, i still have a half a pack of those plus a pack of the ixbx3 or whatever it is. Lol n

8 Likes