The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

It changes everything seeing an afghan sativa. A month ago I grabbed my rooted Peshawar cuttings…2 of them, from amongst 4 cuttings total, the other 2 being Thai. I began force flowering them. All are in half gallon pots And survived the summer tucked away in the shade with about an hour of morning sun each day. To this day I still don’t know if I am flowering a thai plant, or Joe, my keeper Peshawar. They look that similar I can’t tell them apart.

9 Likes

No bro.
Panamá 74 its unique
But certainly got large leaves quite wide so really probably got indica ancestors.

But not indica at all. Got long flowering time, really lanky structure and airy buds.

I’m just want to know why isn’t more original Panama nowdays

9 Likes

That’s the problem with cannabis.
It is a plant so variable and also so prohibited for so long, that any theory can be the truth.

10 Likes

Same and some Panama red.

2 Likes

Yes Panama red, if I ever find some, I have some of the Acapulco gold seeds from @lambchopedd.:wink:

5 Likes

I have extra Double Panama seeds to spare. Will take a while before I have extra time to mail them tho. @Greenfingers

10 Likes

@Upstate that’s good to keep in mind that you worked with those, because I almost bought some Panama red seeds recently, but they are a bit above my price range.

So anytime you are able to share a few of the double Panama beans, I’d love to run them with the Peshawar and lambsbread, so I’d have a trio of great landrace sativas for the stash.

Peace!

2 Likes

You had better add Oaxaca to that lineup. Bump one of the others if necessary :grin: @Weednerd.Anthony

7 Likes

Mesoamerica has an intriguing history which I believe is also shrouded in both mystery and intentional mistruths. It’s fitting to make this comment on what my calendar now calls Indigenous People’s Day. The universe is a trip! Always speaking to us.

There are reports of Ethiopians in Panama in the 16th century, which could likely have been a generalized term for African people. So African genetics are a possibility since at least then, possibly sooner and by other means of trade too. Pre Columbian transatlantic trading by way of the oceanic currents in my opinion was more than likely. Same goes for the Pacific side too. It’s likely there was contact and trade with Asia by way of those populations migrating out of Asia and into the Pacific as well as expansion from mesoamerica. I don’t think we know where the true origin of anything is. There is supposedly generic correlation seen within the genomes of both coconuts and chickens between these far removed groups previously taught in history as never having contact with one another. Potatoes too.

I believe I’ve mentioned here on Overgrow somewhere that there were Arab/Muslim immigrants that supposedly came during the digging of the canal to set up various merchant shops, brothels and such. This could be a contributor of broad leaflet drug types within the mesoamerican populations. African, Asian, and Middle Eastern genetics all possible pre Columbian, and certainly possible after modern recorded European contact.

My hypothesis is that cannabis on Earth has been with civilians since antiquity. Not just modern humankind but also the pyramid builders and such. These African, Thailand, Indian, types are just more modern recent types and that cannabis is actually much more ancient than originating in central Asia or India. Before it’s earth origins. It’s earth story is important though, and the influence of it’s travel across the planet and it’s various expressions sort of frozen in time are beautiful. Snapshots of an antiquated earth. Snapshots of cannabis and it’s travels across the planet. It’s so rad. Much love

8 Likes

I think the three of us are on the same page in thinking or knowing that african genetics gave rise to the red varieties of south and likely central america. For sure the Panama canal going in opened up so many possibilities as to where Panama red came from, we’ll never know until DNA testing tells us. Indian Coolies were also at play during the canal era, and at the time India included Pakistan up to the Afghanistan border…but at that time Afghanistan was cultivating narrow leaf plants… not broadleaf plants… so the Arabs are a good guess, as is Parke Davis Pharma, which also imported Arab Broadleaf genetics. It’s too bad there are such strict laws against cannabis in the Arab countries. Who knows what use to grow there …or what still does

6 Likes

Gotta love that Alien weed!

3 Likes

i remember sampling panama red back in the 80’s. very rare. haven’t seen it since.

glad people are still preserving these old strains.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be a while with BSHW😉

5 Likes

Whaaa take your pick.

Without a doubt into that mix,

must come the Guatemalan bud (which is know to Have red…strains as well as .Belize,Honduras…in fact all the banana republics…right up to the border with Mexico (Chiapas…

Central America has had immigration through the Centuries…that’s why Panama is called the bridge of the Americas.

First slaves arrived with the conquistadors.

The first wave landed with the Spanish in the 1500s. For two centuries Spain used the Isthmus of Panama as the major commercial centre for its American colonies. It was the point through which all people and commodities were moved overland from the Atlantic to the Pacific side of the New World and vice versa along the Camino Real (Royal Road) that was built between Panama City and the Caribbean port of Nombre de Dios (Portobelo).

Did the red bud come south or North …will we ever know.

These are all small countries so would spread easy…in fact you can travel from Panama City to Chiapas on the Ticobus.com and do it in 3/4 days.

Cannabis plants no no borders…only us humans have borders that we kill over.

Most of it brought to those countries by Slavery…the Carfuna in Honduras y Guatemala are an example…( they are also in South America…that’s an other story.

P J

6 Likes

Ye Indian Coolies from West Indies …ie. The Antilles , Jamacia…T and T.etc.

PS. I find that word Coolies kinda ambiguous…I related it to the Chinese …but it’s probably related to slavery as well.
P J

4 Likes

It’s from @upstate so it’s Peshawar Afghani sativa. Craziest looking plant I’ve grown yet.

5 Likes

I have to say that Peshawar plant looks like Oaxaca. I hope I didn’t accidentally pack you up Oaxaca seeds and label it Peshawar…or could you have mixed them up? I haven’t grown very many of these Peshawar to see all the possible phenotypes, so I’m just thinking out loud. I agree with Elchischas. Crazy to see an Afghan like that! So lucky to have found Peshawar.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Here’s how the word came about. I didn’t realize the term went back so far in time

2 Likes

It’s great fun the meaning of words…and learning new ones.

P J

2 Likes