The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

@420noob .

Final picture shows why we do it. Special smoke.
Group 1

Photo 1 and 2 = 10 gallon s1 of the plant in the other photos
Pics 3,4, 5 are some better yielding phenos
Photos 6,7,8 are same indoor plant in 2-3 gallon taken outside for photos. Great camo.
Photo 9 10 11 are same indoor plant outdoors in 5 gallon
Final picture is a dream come true😁

29 Likes

That final picture, man! I’m hoping for a tree like that!

7 Likes

Hey brother with you getting things started early in the season and moving to 20 gallon containers I’m confident you will have some nice trees :evergreen_tree: no doubt!

7 Likes

I remember the first time I went through New York on the way to Montreal, from North Carolina. It’s funny how stereotyped and sensitized we are from movies and TV.

Being from the deep south, I expected total industry and high rises, when I went north, lol… I couldn’t believe how rural most of the state was, and how beautiful it was. I think I was even surprised that there were trees, :joy: :joy:

When I was in the Navy and after I got out, I was living in the Northwest. I would tell people I was from Alabama and the normal response was that they had seen Deliverance (the movie), and would never go there, lol… Once people go it’s the same reaction; people expect to see what they grew up seeing on TV and movies.

10 Likes

“Sure gotta purtty mouth” LOVE that movie!

4 Likes

I hope you get a tree like that too😁 I’d love to see it. Will look like a massive willow.
You MAY want to consider uppotting in stages just in case you have some issue…a transplant is a quick way to correct it…
Can you use an earthbox so there is no issue with water? Or use a rigged wick system…cut a slit in the bottom of the container and pull a cloth up into the containers’ middle and surround / cover with soil. The other end of the rag sits in a wet bucket and wicks the water into your container. These plants can handle dry conditions, but even in New York I had to water every day in a 10 gallon.
The reason i mention this is due to the crazy heat waves you get out there.
Could you dig a hole and put the container down in the hole to keep it cooler?
Classic movie…and usually one that gets mentioned when people visit here the first time lol.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’d love to put one in the dirt but then I’d never get it finished around here. Last summer, the Oaxaca were the last to start flowering. All of the hybrids and other stuff started in mid Aug. The Oaxaca were a month later I bet. It’s like the light hours had to hit 12/12 almost exactly before they started. The two I had in bigger pots would have yielded a lot I believe if I had not been down with my broken leg. I could tell they would have taken off in the ground.

I’ll see if I can get a pic here…

6 Likes

No doubt these trigger at maybe 13 or 12 1/2 hours light. They start late.
Good sign of purity though.
I sure hope to grow a whopper Silversides myself. I want to lay on the ground under it while smoking its mother.
“Smell this my Lovely lady? You have a lot to live up to. Are you up for the challenge? Will your smoke be this fine?”

9 Likes

Your mention of Heat Waves and reducing the exposure to the plants roots by partly burying the Pot, has given me something to contribute to this scenario.

Companion growing and a Low Cover-crop (white Clover / creeping thyme) will keep the top 6” of Soil cooler and better able to handle heat spikes… moisture issues

This will be my first Summer practising this approach but it just makes too much sense…

6 Likes

I use a square cloth with a slit cut to the midway point as mulch. I wet it in the morning and it drapes over the edges of the container and over the soil.
For sure companion planting is a great way to go.

8 Likes

I like the damp Cloak idea.

Mission accomplished, Thanks for that @Upstate.

Could be the start of an OVERGROW: Moisture Mat / Heat-Treat / Water, not Hotter /“ Field Shield “ etc etc

6 Likes

Yeah it works great. Even on the sunny side of a black plastic pot there are white roots on the edges. I use white t shirts dipped in mud water

6 Likes

Lets get Dirty, I love it

Lol

Cheers U

2 Likes

I like the wicking cloth idea. I read up on SIP or Alaskan grow buckets as well, lots of way to handle the lack of rain out here and the thirst those girls will have.

I made a reservoir with a bulk food barrel (contained olives) and added a spigot, then used drip irrigation hoses and a toro battery powered low pressure water timer. It worked well I just had to dial in the timing and in summer I had to increase it to 2x a day with the small 5 gallon bags so if I do it this route again I would use regular pots instead of bags and up pot throughout the season.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Low-Pressure-Tap-Timer-53453/307853738

14 Likes

Now these are the McGyver projects that separate OG’s from the rest of the Primates…

Fantastic and Thanks for sharing that.
Finding the Holes in the Game is half the battle. This a great Infrastructure addition.

And thats the Nicest straight line I’ve seen in Weeks ElpO !!!

6 Likes

Where are you growing? I forgot… Colombia? Where I live is pretty dry as well. Southern Colorado, 36ºN, 6400’/1950m elevation, with very low humidities throughout summer.

3 Likes

This Banana is the Sativa of Bananas…it’s a small fat delicious banana, that takes much longer than the commercial brands like Chiquita to flower and harvest.
13 different types of Banana ( not including Plantain. In Costa Rica/ Panama

Regards

P J

24 Likes

Here are some random pics of the two best Oaxaca I did. I had already broken my leg a couple of months before, and was just getting ready to bring them in the house at the end of October.

One was never topped and actually took a nice Christmas tree structure, and the other I topped at least once and it just spread out but never got any stretch. They were started in 2 gallon pots and these two were moved into 5 and 7 gallon pots before flower. So, they stayed very manageable and they were outside all summer.

I have a few close ups of the dried flower. Let me find them.

EDIT to add… pics are much sharper if you click on the first one and view them that way. :wink:

32 Likes

@MissinBissin the McGyver problem solving is half the fun :joy:

@GMan m in So Cal; this was from a previous year but will put it to use. I like it because i can ph the water and decolorante as opposed to just running straight from irrigation lines. Would work great for a Guerilla set up too.

5 Likes

If everything went right, those seeds are from the Lemon Thai IX I was growing for a few seeds. It was from @smilestyle (another forum), and originally from @santero.

Cryptic Labs - Oaxaca via @Upstate:
These all dried on the vine because of my broken leg issues. I went to the doc for my 8 week visit and he put me right back in the hospital. A week later One plant was dead and the other almost. Amazingly, they cured perfectly from leaving them like that.

36 Likes